Texans sign OG Shaq Mason to 3 year extension

Texansfan713

Solid extension for Mason and some additional cap space created for the Texans. Mason will provide some vet leadership for the IOL, which will likely include rookie C Juice Scruggs and 2nd year G Kenyon Green - two guys who probably need a vet to help navigate next season.

Mason is going to be a key component to the success of QB CJ Stroud, keeping the inside of the pocket clean will allow the rookie to operate at his own pace.

• Like 3

Do the Texans have a good OL? Tunsil is obviously great, I loved Green as a prospect, and Mason is a rock solid guard. I don't know how Tytus Howard has been working out lately, but I remember I liked him coming out and I think he had a solid rookie year. Scruggs was the 5th of 6 starting centers in this past draft for me (JMS, Tippman, Wypler, Stromberg, Scruggs, Olawutimi). That may be a really solid OL for the rookie QB.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Do the Texans have a good OL? Tunsil is obviously great, I loved Green as a prospect, and Mason is a rock solid guard. I don't know how Tytus Howard has been working out lately, but I remember I liked him coming out and I think he had a solid rookie year. Scruggs was the 5th of 6 starting centers in this past draft for me (JMS, Tippman, Wypler, Stromberg, Scruggs, Olawutimi). That may be a really solid OL for the rookie QB.

Howard is competent - not quite the high level he was at as a rookie, but not a detriment to the OL. I think part of his stunted growth was that they tried him at multiple spots; Started at RT, kicked into LG for a spell, then RG for an extended look. Last year was the first time since his rookie season he stuck at RT and he looked the part.

The OL is good on paper, but the onus is on OL coach Chris Strausser to turn them into a good unit on the field.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Solid extension for Mason and some additional cap space created for the Texans. Mason will provide some vet leadership for the IOL, which will likely include rookie C Juice Scruggs and 2nd year G Kenyon Green - two guys who probably need a vet to help navigate next season.

Mason is going to be a key component to the success of QB CJ Stroud, keeping the inside of the pocket clean will allow the rookie to operate at his own pace.

Seems a little odd to extend a guy on his 3rd team in 3 years before he's played a down for you no? 

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Seems a little odd to extend a guy on his 3rd team in 3 years before he's played a down for you no? 

I think it’s to create additional cap room elsewhere - this move creates an extra $5mm in cap space for the Texans, give or take.

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Except he wasn't last year. His play fell off a cliff last year and he was arguably the weakest link on the O-Line. That was with him playing next to an all pro RT.

I'm not saying he can't rebound, but don't think you're getting the Mason of old anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Except he wasn't last year. His play fell off a cliff last year and he was arguably the weakest link on the O-Line. That was with him playing next to an all pro RT.

I'm not saying he can't rebound, but don't think you're getting the Mason of old anymore.

If that's the case, then this new contract seems odd.

On 5/11/2023 at 12:28 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

couldnt have said it better myself

all I've been seeing is ppl praising this deal, but its like those ppl didnt watch him play last year

Mason was not what we were expecting last year and imo this extension is a bit of an overpay