Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

10 hours ago, Leader said:

Footwork, footwork, footwork....and the LAC defense sucks.

It does look like improving footwork is right at the top of things for Love to work on, not that it is terrible......... and I believe it is correctable. Love is starting to look like he will be GB's QB of the future, if he can just improve on a couple of things - he's close.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It does look like improving footwork is right at the top of things for Love to work on, not that it is terrible......... and I believe it is correctable. Love is starting to look like he will be GB's QB of the future, if he can just improve on a couple of things - he's close.

It was interesting to watch Herbert's footwork in this game versus Love.  When Herbert starts to scan the field from right to left he keeps quickly repositioning his feet to align with where he is looking as he is moving his head from right to left. Really well done and this helps him with his accuracy and velocity when he throws.  Love is not as good at doing that. His head is occasionally ahead of his feet and they have to catch up to him, especially when he is throwing to his left. Definitely can be coached up on this point.

The other thing I would note is he needs to stop over arching his back on some of those throws. The ball sails on him and he loses power, distance and accuracy when he does that....especially on the deep balls. This can also be coached up.

In my mind, these are the two key points for Love to work on the rest of this season and offseason. They would help his deep ball and his accuracy. He has the rest of what you are looking for. He is athletic, his instincts and anticipation are good, he shows poise, he can throw from different arm angles, and he has good arm strength.

Love needs another offseason of hard training on these fundamental elements.

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I would’ve hoped the team would’ve already fixed his mechanics in the 3.5 years he’s already spent here. Didn’t they completely rebuild Rodgers’ mechanics within 3yr? 😐

Game speed is very different than practice speed. There's a lot more to think about and the mechanics just need time to catch up to his processing speed. More reps are important to build that game-speed muscle memory, too. 

If the YouTube QBs are seeing it, you know Clements is, too. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

I would’ve hoped the team would’ve already fixed his mechanics in the 3.5 years he’s already spent here. Didn’t they completely rebuild Rodgers’ mechanics within 3yr? 😐

Rodgers also had MM's QB school in the offseason and even more offseason work on top of that which isn't allowed in the current CBA.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Working on mechanics in practice / drills when that is the main docus is much easier.  Get into game actiin and the mechanics become a very secondary/ tertiary thing rrlative to coverage, pass rush, etc 

59 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Game speed is very different than practice speed. There's a lot more to think about and the mechanics just need time to catch up to his processing speed. More reps are important to build that game-speed muscle memory, too. 

If the YouTube QBs are seeing it, you know Clements is, too. 

Very much this

13 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Rodgers also had MM's QB school in the offseason and even more offseason work on top of that which isn't allowed in the current CBA.

And this

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Norm said:

Holy **** he was throwing into coverage and over the middle

His throwing motion was also more over the top than out wide of the shoulder that it became later in his career. You could tell he trusted his fundamentals way more than his arm back then compared to now. Now it's all about dat arm.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1