Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

39 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I was posting the entire game.

And I'm the only one here who brought up concerns about Love that's still posting.

I stated my metric before the year started (Completion % and YPA) and I never deviated from that.

I began opening to the possibility I was wrong 5 weeks ago. Based on my own metric.

I haven't changed. Love has. Using me as the board's personal Jordan Love Haters Club Mascot is erroneous.

You can follow through in the Jordan Love appreciation thread and see all of this that I've just stated is true. I also defended Love against unfair criticism in the middle of my worst opinions of him because I'm the only one who stayed true to my metric.

Even when people kept saying context matters, I kept saying that context doesn't matter. Young receivers/etc doesn't matter when looking at completion % and YPA because those two metrics account for those (few) bad plays from receivers/tight ends and bad/less than ideal play calling.

Last night proved that was correct, too. Especially late, there were a lot of errors from receivers. That one deep ball to Reed is a prime example. Yet Love still was at 69% and 7.4 YPA.

We're 7 weeks removed from Love being below 57% and below 6 YPA. Those are bad numbers. Because Love (along with the rest of his team) played poorly.

His teammates haven't changed. In fact, they've gotten worse due to injury. And yet there he is... Playing like he should be.

So considering I was the only one basing my opinion of Love on a clearly defined metric rather than an eye test, it's safe to say my metric - which has proven his potential can produce production - was correct.

Find a single instance in the history of this thread in which I haven't stuck to that metric in judging Love. Just one.

While others were judging him for taking sacks or throwing interceptions, I on numerous occasions (when I was most down on him) said the interceptions didn't bother me. I defended my metric against the real Love Haters Club Mascot here numerous times. Through it all, I stuck to my metric.

LOL .. good for you ... I think.

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

lol Love is tied for the league lead in 3 TD/0 INT games with Purdy.

Just having fun here, cuz we beat the Chefs and everything is fun right now.

But....former first round pick is tied with a former 7'th round pick and last pick in the draft for 3TD games/0 INT games in 2023.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

But....former first round pick is tied with a former 7'th round pick and last pick in the draft for 3TD games/0 INT games in 2023.

Purdy is the ultimate game manager. He wouldn't be succeeding anywhere else right now. He has 2 years of tape and it's significantly less impressive than Love's 12 games this year. 

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And ahead of about 25 other former first round picks as well. You left that part out. 

On another horrifying note, I get a Tom Brady type of feel for Purdy and it makes me want to throw up. 

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Purdy is the ultimate game manager. He wouldn't be succeeding anywhere else right now. He has 2 years of tape and it's significantly less impressive than Love's 12 games this year. 

R.E.L.A.X.

I'm just having fun.  It could easily be interpreted as both having 0 games in 2023.

We know it isn't, we know how great Love has been and we know that he was not in a "plug and succeed" offense.

I'm still very impressed with Purdy, though.  Like Love, he's very cool and calm.  

But...I think it must be pretty fun dropping back asking yourself if you want to give it to McCaffrey, Aiyuk, Samuel or Kittle.

28 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

And ahead of about 25 other former first round picks as well. You left that part out. 

On another horrifying note, I get a Tom Brady type of feel for Purdy and it makes me want to throw up. 

I understand that type of feel.  I get a Montana type of vibe.  And that isn't all that dissimilar to a Brady vibe.

Either way...I think they got a pretty good one there.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

R.E.L.A.X.

I'm just having fun.  It could easily be interpreted as both having 0 games in 2023.

We know it isn't, we know how great Love has been and we know that he was not in a "plug and succeed" offense.

I'm still very impressed with Purdy, though.  Like Love, he's very cool and calm.  

But...I think it must be pretty fun dropping back asking yourself if you want to give it to McCaffrey, Aiyuk, Samuel or Kittle.

N.A.H.

Just insanely tired of the Purdy narrative. He's an average QB asked to do so little in his offense that's loaded with talent. He's just like Hurts. Neither guy is a true franchise QB in any other situation. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

N.A.H.

Just insanely tired of the Purdy narrative. He's an average QB asked to do so little in his offense that's loaded with talent. He's just like Hurts. Neither guy is a true franchise QB in any other situation. 

I can't argue against your logic concerning Purdy.  Not touching the Hurts stuff.  Seems to me like he changed that club once he took over and continued to grow and get better.

But Purdy appears to be the perfect QB for that system in San Fran.  I'd say that many would look at good as he has, but Jimmy G tried and didn't look this good.  They drafted Lance really high via a trade up and he looked awful.  

Yet Purdy is getting it done without a cannon of an arm, without quick legs but with his brain and accurate arm.

Other teams' GM's would be run out of town for missing on a QB that high that they traded a ton for.  But here's Lynch, smiling away because of a lucky *** pick as Mr. Irrelevant.  

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

N.A.H.

Remember Brady felt more like a game manager in his early career as well and grew into the player he became. Purdy seems to have that same it factor so far.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I can't argue against your logic concerning Purdy.  Not touching the Hurts stuff.  Seems to me like he changed that club once he took over and continued to grow and get better.

But Purdy appears to be the perfect QB for that system in San Fran.  I'd say that many would look at good as he has, but Jimmy G tried and didn't look this good.  They drafted Lance really high via a trade up and he looked awful.  

Yet Purdy is getting it done without a cannon of an arm, without quick legs but with his brain and accurate arm.

Other teams' GM's would be run out of town for missing on a QB that high that they traded a ton for.  But here's Lynch, smiling away because of a lucky *** pick as Mr. Irrelevant.  

Purdy is a cerebral QB with a limited toolset surrounded by insane talent. Outside of finding an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, he's the next best thing for a Shanahan offense. The only issue is, when it comes time for him to get paid, the 49ers are going to be put in a precarious position. Pay the limited asset and lose the true tools that make you successful or move on and try again. 

Hurts, in Philadelphia, has an insane OL, two legit #1 WRs, a great ground game (when they aren't trying to make Ken Gainwell happen) and a really good TE. He's not a good thrower of the football and put him in a position where he needs to rip it 40 times, you're going to beat the Eagles every time (go look, they've never won when he's had to throw 40 times).

5 minutes ago, Eternal said:

Remember Brady felt more like a game manager in his early career as well and grew into the player he became. Purdy seems to have that same it factor so far.

Brady played with far less talent than Purdy early in his career and had a much better toolset. He also played in a tougher era for QBs early in his career. When BB finally let him loose, he became what we know now. 

Edited by beekay414