Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

1 minute ago, deathstar said:

Just popped in and am trying to reconcile the idea of a cerebral QB who is also asked to do very little by the offense… 🤔

To fully comprehend what is going on here in the last few pages probably requires both the use of ayahuasca and a darkness retreat.

Or at least some Nyquil (old school Nyquil, not this new diluted crap) and a good nap.

Just now, MacReady said:

This is the same **** I railed against when people credited Watson with Love’s Philadelphia TD pass.

Receivers and running backs don’t take it 90, 80, 70, 60, 50 yards if their QB doesn't hit them in stride based on the offensive scheme.

You never take away yards from a QB who hit a player in stride.

Ten percent of Favre’s all-time passing numbers came from having elite touch on screen passes.

Being able to hit the short "easy" throws on time and on target is so underappreciated around here.  As if anyone can do it.  No... they can't.

• Like 2

Just now, MacReady said:

This is the same **** I railed against when people credited Watson with Love’s Philadelphia TD pass.

Receivers and running backs don’t take it 90, 80, 70, 60, 50 yards if their QB doesn't hit them in stride based on the offensive scheme.

You never take away yards from a QB who hit a player in stride.

Ten percent of Favre’s all-time passing numbers came from having elite touch on screen passes.

I think there's a difference between hitting a receiver in stride (Love to Watson, Favre to Jennings for TD #420) and getting the ball to Deebo who stops, breaks a tackle, changes direction, gets the ref to eat the flag on an obvious hold, and out runs two other guys into the end zone. Or TD #2, where the entire Eagles D basically just phoned it in and Samuel had the space to weave his way through the screen for a TD.

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You know what, you guys are soooooo right. Purdy and Hurts would totally kill it in Tennessee or Carolina.

(Newsflash: Love wouldn't either)

Lol. Will Levis was a second round pick. He’s a rookie. He has a higher completion percentage and a significantly higher YPA than Love had in the first seven games of Love’s career as a starter.

• Like 1

Love has had a good run.  I know he's got a lot of enthusiastic fans, so please don't take these as being super negative or anything.  But two scouting observations.  

1.  In terms of speed, he's good but not explosive. On the play when Rhyan got smoked, Love had a head start on Jones but didn't exactly run away from him.  I wasn't even sure that Jones wouldn't overtake him from behind.  Similar observation in the Detroit game when he had the big breakaway, he raw well, but he's not rally blazing fast.  Not like Fields or one of the fastest QB's, or like prime Russell Wilson.  I don't say that as a fault, just an objective observation.  I also realize that QB's often aren't running their fastest, because they are keeping eyes up looking for pass receivers to break open or for defenders to be appoaching and necessitating slide.  For context, neither is Mahomes super fast.  As good of a scrambler and as elusive as Mahomes is, he's not like Fields for speed.  

2.  In terms of arm, Love has a strong arm, and has a beautifully quick release.  But his velocity is not on the elite level of Rodgers or Favre.  I assume part of that is he's often throwing off balance or with his weight falling backwards, like on the floater to Doubs.  But yeah, I'm not trying to be negative, but objectively I don't think Love has quite the elite rocket velocity that Rodgers and Favre had.  I notice this on some throws to the outside, sometimes the ball is sinking because it has less zip than vintage Rodgers.  Granted, maybe I'd notice it less if Love stepped into his throws more and gunned it, but the quick release and off-balance take some velocity off.  Favre and Rodgers are two historic HOF arms, so having a little less velocity is neither a surprise nor indictment. 

Velocity has it's advantages, obviously; but the time from decision-to-throw to arrival is determined more by release time than by velocity-in-flight.  Love's delivery is very quick.  I also think that rocket velocity isn't the easiest to catch, especially on screens.  Neither Favre nor Rodgers ever excelled on some of those short touch throws.    

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Love has had a good run.  I know he's got a lot of enthusiastic fans, so please don't take these as being super negative or anything.  But two scouting observations.  

1.  In terms of speed, he's good but not explosive. On the play when Rhyan got smoked, Love had a head start on Jones but didn't exactly run away from him.  I wasn't even sure that Jones wouldn't overtake him from behind.  Similar observation in the Detroit game when he had the big breakaway, he raw well, but he's not rally blazing fast.  Not like Fields or one of the fastest QB's, or like prime Russell Wilson.  I don't say that as a fault, just an objective observation.  I also realize that QB's often aren't running their fastest, because they are keeping eyes up looking for pass receivers to break open or for defenders to be appoaching and necessitating slide.  For context, neither is Mahomes super fast.  As good of a scrambler and as elusive as Mahomes is, he's not like Fields for speed.  

2.  In terms of arm, Love has a strong arm, and has a beautifully quick release.  But his velocity is not on the elite level of Rodgers or Favre.  I assume part of that is he's often throwing off balance or with his weight falling backwards, like on the floater to Doubs.  But yeah, I'm not trying to be negative, but objectively I don't think Love has quite the elite rocket velocity that Rodgers and Favre had.  I notice this on some throws to the outside, sometimes the ball is sinking because it has less zip than vintage Rodgers.  Granted, maybe I'd notice it less if Love stepped into his throws more and gunned it, but the quick release and off-balance take some velocity off.  Favre and Rodgers are two historic HOF arms, so having a little less velocity is neither a surprise nor indictment. 

Velocity has it's advantages, obviously; but the time from decision-to-throw to arrival is determined more by release time than by velocity-in-flight.  Love's delivery is very quick.  I also think that rocket velocity isn't the easiest to catch, especially on screens.  Neither Favre nor Rodgers ever excelled on some of those short touch throws.    

I think he needs to start working his lower body a little harder in the offseason.  Rodgers has massive calves and a really strong lower half.  Love's got a thinner lower half.  Love's a 4.7 40 guy, so he's probably never going to get faster, but maybe with some added leg strength he can get a little more explosive.  Love also needs to continue mastering his footwork this offseason.  Improved mechanics will fix a lot of his issues.

• Like 1

More Colin .. says Love is more Favre than Rodgers.  I can buy most of what he's saying in this clip.  Some of it is a rehash from the clip I posted a little bit ago.  Colin had Love as backup material just a few weeks ago.  I do think the buy-in part from the organization part is true, and LaFleur confirmed that last night.  They didn't trust Jordan early on, and he finally started getting the ball out and they in turn started giving him more and more.