Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

14 hours ago, coachbuns said:

LOL .. it's their 1st frickin year dude.  These young guys have contributed greatly to the team when called upon.  Calling them Jags is just plain dumb.  Nobody has a clue how they will turn out being 1st year player .. not even you.

I agree that nobody knows how they will turn out.  I would just like to point out you are wrong on Bo Melton though, he is not a first year player.  He was drafted in 2022 in the seventh by the Seahawks.  I really like Bo and was excited to see him get some time last week!

Side note I can't wait to see what Wicks and Reed look like next year!  Those are the two guys I think can bring us to the next level on offense!

56 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just came to say this about the Mahomes deal.....

Their offense isn't very good this year.  I think this is year one or year two of his deal being worth "real" money against the cap.  I thought it was due to how much Patrick was taking.

I looked it up...and yeah, that's part of it.  But, they are paying Kelce $14.8 and MVS $11.0 against the cap.  Then a bigger hit for Thuney at G (13.4) and then 5-6 for their tackles.  

So, their offensive ineptitude may be due party to what Patrick is taking, but it looks like the MVS investment was a poor one.

Either way, if we give Love that large deal, we will have very large decisions to make in the future at the WR/TE rooms.  Odds are we will pay linemen, multiple linemen, then we need to be careful with those skill positions.

Obviously there are more ways to look at roster building around a long term, franchise, QB.  But this is a long way of me saying that I thought KC was worse on offense this year due to the Mahomes contract.  In reality?  It just looks like they invested $11M into a poor receiving option.  (And they drafted poorly at the WR position prior to Rice.)

Imagine paying mvs 11 million per year (elite rb money). Ouch. 

Certainly something to be said for making an error on that signing and a draft pick when they no longer have room for error. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coachbuns said:

LOL .. it's their 1st frickin year dude.  These young guys have contributed greatly to the team when called upon.  Calling them Jags is just plain dumb.  Nobody has a clue how they will turn out being 1st year player .. not even you.

Yes they have contributed when their number is called. Low draft picks working their tail off and focusong on making it is so good for culture.

Great players perform in great moments.

These guys have stepped up, which is more than I can say for JAG toure. 

2 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Imagine paying mvs 11 million per year (elite rb money). Ouch. 

Certainly something to be said for making an error on that signing and a draft pick when they no longer have room for error. 

I'd feel better about our future if our GM wasn't so pathetic.

Gute is going to have his hands and brain full when he's trying to figure out who he can afford to keep out of Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Musgrave, Kraft and Tom on offense.

Just typing this out tells me that we won't offer "real" money to a center like Myers.

But, those decisions are a long way out.

Crazy to think how great the WR room and TE room is now compared to what it was a year ago.

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd feel better about our future if our GM wasn't so pathetic.

Gute is going to have his hands and brain full when he's trying to figure out who he can afford to keep out of Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Musgrave, Kraft and Tom on offense.

Just typing this out tells me that we won't offer "real" money to a center like Myers.

But, those decisions are a long way out.

Crazy to think how great the WR room and TE room is now compared to what it was a year ago.

Having myers and dillon for a young Love has been great from a protection stand point.

Cant overpay for either of them now that Love is settled. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Just came to say this about the Mahomes deal.....

Their offense isn't very good this year.  I think this is year one or year two of his deal being worth "real" money against the cap.  I thought it was due to how much Patrick was taking.

I looked it up...and yeah, that's part of it.  But, they are paying Kelce $14.8 and MVS $11.0 against the cap.  Then a bigger hit for Thuney at G (13.4) and then 5-6 for their tackles.  

So, their offensive ineptitude may be due party to what Patrick is taking, but it looks like the MVS investment was a poor one.

Either way, if we give Love that large deal, we will have very large decisions to make in the future at the WR/TE rooms.  Odds are we will pay linemen, multiple linemen, then we need to be careful with those skill positions.

Obviously there are more ways to look at roster building around a long term, franchise, QB.  But this is a long way of me saying that I thought KC was worse on offense this year due to the Mahomes contract.  In reality?  It just looks like they invested $11M into a poor receiving option.  (And they drafted poorly at the WR position prior to Rice.)

I think we are all in agreement we are paying Love. The going rate is going to be 40 or more. It's where the market is at these days. How the rest of the roster is constructed is up to Gute. A 10-year deal gives you the chance to spread the bonus money out over a longer period of time. Also, over time it becomes a bargain as prices continue to go up. 

A ten-year deal with 200 million SB and guaranteed salary for 3-4 years. You could keep his cap hit at or under 25 for the next 4-5 years. 

Daniel Jones got 40 a year average! LOL Jordan Love is getting paid. 

NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think we are all in agreement we are paying Love. The going rate is going to be 40 or more. It's where the market is at these days. How the rest of the roster is constructed is up to Gute. A 10-year deal gives you the chance to spread the bonus money out over a longer period of time. Also, over time it becomes a bargain as prices continue to go up. 

A ten-year deal with 200 million SB and guaranteed salary for 3-4 years. You could keep his cap hit at or under 25 for the next 4-5 years. 

Daniel Jones got 40 a year average! LOL Jordan Love is getting paid. 

NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac

Indeed over 40. 45m/y is the starting point of the conversation (2yr avg on franchise tag).

The problem with the 10 year deal is you are a torn acl away from a decade of irrelevance. 

If he performs at top tier, you are 4-5 years away from a disgruntled player. 

Just makes no sense to me to go 10yr. 

2 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Indeed over 40. 45m/y is the starting point of the conversation (2yr avg on franchise tag).

The problem with the 10 year deal is you are a torn acl away from a decade of irrelevance. 

I feel like the "sense" in it is that it allows for a framework of a deal over 10 years.

It can be easily adjusted along the way to make it fit what needs to be done.  

But, we shall see how it plays out.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like the "sense" in it is that it allows for a framework of a deal over 10 years.

It can be easily adjusted along the way to make it fit what needs to be done.  

But, we shall see how it plays out.

It can be adjusted to be more favorable to the player, but it cant be adjusted to remove guarantees in the instance of injury. Organization gets the short end of the stick.

Just commit to negotiating in good faith again in 4 yrs and shake hands IMO. 

22 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I think you are overreacting to what happened with Bak. Quarterbacks come back from torn ACL's and preform without issue on many occasions. So have hundreds of positional players whose job is a lot harder on the knee joints than a quarterback. 

12 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

It can be adjusted to be more favorable to the player, but it cant be adjusted to remove guarantees in the instance of injury. Organization gets the short end of the stick.

Just commit to negotiating in good faith again in 4 yrs and shake hands IMO. 

Either deal is going to come down to the guarantees. The longer the deal the more you spread out the guarantees. Love is going to want over 200 million in guaranteed money, no matter the length. It's the going rate now. 

He took a one-year prove it, so the Packers didn't have to exercise the franchise tag. He proved it, now we have to pay.

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Either deal is going to come down to the guarantees. The longer the deal the more you spread out the guarantees. Love is going to want over 200 million in guaranteed money, no matter the length. It's the going rate now. 

He took a one-year prove it, so the Packers didn't have to exercise the franchise tag. He proved it, now we have to pay.

I must be one of the few in the camp of "wait till next year" before you offer Love a deal.  I want to see what Love does this offseason to improve his lower body, in terms of strength, balance, and footwork. I'd rather offer him $50-$55 a year if he addresses those things and we see that development lead to improved performances on the field rather than offer him $40-$45 with little to no improvement as he fails to work on these things.

15 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

I must be one of the few in the camp of "wait till next year" before you offer Love a deal.  I want to see what Love does this offseason to improve his lower body, in terms of strength, balance, and footwork. I'd rather offer him $50-$55 a year if he addresses those things and we see that development lead to improved performances on the field rather than offer him $40-$45 with little to no improvement as he fails to work on these things.

Four years in, the Packers already know Jordan Love's work ethic.