Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I made a thread on this a bit ago lol. Ya, I’m not taking any low ceiling guys over him. Low or medium. 

There are a few I would but he does have the tools to be as good or better than some of the proven guys I'd take right now. Way more in the AFC than NFC right now though.

14 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Can you guys post more about how good Love is and why you think he’s a quality quarterback? I have no ulterior motive 

It's the process and skillset for me. 

Skillset:  Kid has a great arm.  Strong arm.  Good feet.  Almost ideal size.  

Process:  He's sat for 3 years and been able to learn from an All Time Great.  We've seen this process before.

Add the two together?  This is the ideal way to groom your next QB.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

It's the process and skillset for me. 

Skillset:  Kid has a great arm.  Strong arm.  Good feet.  Almost ideal size.  

Process:  He's sat for 3 years and been able to learn from an All Time Great.  We've seen this process before.

Add the two together?  This is the ideal way to groom your next QB.  

Poise is a quality I'm hoping that he has.  

Based on press-conference interviews and coach-speak, he comes across as a calm, even-keel personality.  It's hypothetically possible that he's got the calmness that successful QB's have both on-field under pressure, and also off-field?  That may not necessarily translate to staying poised under game-pressure, obviously!  Actual game speed might be ***way*** too fast for him, and we have no idea whether he's got the *amazing* processing speed that sets top QBs apart. 

And even *if* he hypothetically proves good on the field, who knows if his present calm personality will translate to staying even-keel under the fame/attention/wealth that a successful QB accrues?  Did I ever imagine that young Rodgers and Wilson would end up feeling as entitled as they've been lately?  

31 minutes ago, craig said:

Based on press-conference interviews and coach-speak, he comes across as a calm, even-keel personality.  It's hypothetically possible that he's got the calmness that successful QB's have both on-field under pressure, and also off-field?  That may not necessarily translate to staying poised under game-pressure, obviously!  Actual game speed might be ***way*** too fast for him, and we have no idea whether he's got the *amazing* processing speed that sets top QBs apart. 

And even *if* he hypothetically proves good on the field, who knows if his present calm personality will translate to staying even-keel under the fame/attention/wealth that a successful QB accrues?  Did I ever imagine that young Rodgers and Wilson would end up feeling as entitled as they've been lately?  

During the Covid year we had a school visit scheduled with Jordan and Ty Summers for the Play 360 program. Live version was cancelled due to social distancing, but we setup a Zoom call. It was kind of sweet that Ty and Jordan spent a little bit of time chatting with each other while waiting for the other two classes to log on; they were kind of excited to see a teammate and talk about how each other's off-seasons were going. Jordan was relatively shy, quiet, unassuming, and had a personality volume dialed down to three. His speaking skills were about what you would expect for young man just in his twenties. I remember thinking that he was a very nice young man, but he did not seem to project the kind of charm or charisma or leadership you would expect from an NFL quarterback. I realize how shallow and pretentious that sounds to conclude such from a Zoom call with grade school kids, but that's because I'm shallow and pretentious.

Lately as I see him in the media he has really grown up and seems to be fitting the role better. He has kind of gone from being boyish to a grown up man. That's my shallow and pretentious take on his evolving intangibles.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

During the Covid year we had a school visit scheduled with Jordan and Ty Summers for the Play 360 program. Live version was cancelled due to social distancing, but we setup a Zoom call. It was kind of sweet that Ty and Jordan spent a little bit of time chatting with each other while waiting for the other two classes to log on; they were kind of excited to see a teammate and talk about how each other's off-seasons were going. Jordan was relatively shy, quiet, unassuming, and had a personality volume dialed down to three. His speaking skills were about what you would expect for young man just in his twenties. I remember thinking that he was a very nice young man, but he did not seem to project the kind of charm or charisma or leadership you would expect from an NFL quarterback. I realize how shallow and pretentious that sounds to conclude such from a Zoom call with grade school kids, but that's because I'm shallow and pretentious.

Lately as I see him in the media he has really grown up and seems to be fitting the role better. He has kind of gone from being boyish to a grown up man. That's my shallow and pretentious take on his evolving intangibles.

That's consistent with coaches and players talking about how he's matured as a man. I think it was Aaron Jones who talked about how Love commands the locker room. He might never be the loud rah-rah type of leader, but he has a quiet confidence that I like a lot and think can be just as effective. 

I said this in another post a while back, but one of the qualities I liked about Love in college was his poise on the field, and his ability to stay calm in the pocket. Even his few appearances in the NFL, including when the Chiefs were throwing blitz after blitz after him, he has never seemed rattled at all. 

3 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

There are a few I would but he does have the tools to be as good or better than some of the proven guys I'd take right now. Way more in the AFC than NFC right now though.

I’d rather gamble on a guy like Love and maybe he’s awful and we’re looking for a QB in a year or two than go with a guy like Kirk Cousins.

1 hour ago, craig said:

I agree about his personality.

I saw it last year.  When he came into the game against the Eagles, guys seemed to rally around him.  No one gave up.  Not that I expected that they would, but everything looked, crisper.  Cleaner.  

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

Well, that's the kind of growth you can expect when you dump an ugly girlfriend and move up in the dating world.....

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’d rather gamble on a guy like Love and maybe he’s awful and we’re looking for a QB in a year or two than go with a guy like Kirk Cousins.

Gambling in this fashion gets old when/if you keep missing. There’s a reason mediocre QBs get paid a ton of money. They’re hard to find.

Edited by malak1

44 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

At this point I would agree. While I think Cousins is a better QB right now (could be proven wrong this year) I would roll the dice with Love.

Jones and Riddler are the only ones in the NFC i would potentially take over Love. Both look like they could take you there with a good supporting cast. Honestly... no one else (maybe Dak)

Edited by MantyWrestler

I mean, for me my optimism about Love is predicated on.

-He was a player that I loved watching in college.
- He's got every physical tool you'd want out of a quarterback, and a great arm.
- As a thrower he plays with moxie, a lot of confidence and willingness to let his guy make a play.
- He's had three years of NFL development, when we see a lot of great QB prospects getting ruined because they're forced to play ASAP and develop bad habits.
- He's going to turn 25 in November, we had QBs in *this draft* who turn 24 in June (Levis) or 26 in January (Hooker.)  He's younger than every presumed starting QB except Fields, guys who just got drafted, and maybe Trey Lance if he starts.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

During the Covid year we had a school visit scheduled with Jordan and Ty Summers .... Jordan ... had a personality volume dialed down to three. His speaking skills were about what you would expect for young man just in his twenties. I remember thinking that he was a very nice young man, but he did not seem to project the kind of charm or charisma or leadership you would expect from an NFL quarterback. I realize how shallow and pretentious that sounds to conclude such from a Zoom call with grade school kids, but that's because I'm shallow and pretentious...

That was kinda my take from early-year interviews, too.  He still seems pretty dialed-down, but definitely more comfortable and confident.

Of course, right now he's chosen, lots of "#1" references, press conferences packed, and all teammates talk him up supportively.  It's easy to feel comfortable and confident when you haven't failed yet!  How confident and comfortable will he be when the record is 4-8?  And if the o-line is injury-ripped and sieving?  Courage tested later, not in OTA's.