Around the NFC East

turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The Giants haven’t traded Eli because they can’t. He has a no trade clause in his contract. 

Besides the clause, which maybe he would waive if the right team (JAX) came along. I think the rest of this season become Eli’s farewell tour. Couple guys on the radio were saying that up here. I doubt there ready to start Kyle Lauretta the rest of the way. They took a shot hoping to make one more run with Manning and it clearly hasn’t worked out. All the Giant fans were sick last year when Eli got benched. Guess what, McAdoo was right! Right now I’m on 26th and Park in Manhattan. Don’t see a Giants hat, shirt. Nothing. It’s a great time to be a Skins fan in NY

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

All the Giant fans were sick last year when Eli got benched. Guess what, McAdoo was right!

No, McAdoo was wrong because he benched Eli for Geno Freakin' Smith.

Had he done it for Davis Webb, then it would have be defensible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

No, McAdoo was wrong because he benched Eli for Geno Freakin' Smith.

Had he done it for Davis Webb, then it would have be defensible.

Yes I would have given the start to Webb also but I meant the way the fans/media reaction to Eli’s benching 

4 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Yes I would have given the start to Webb also but I meant the way the fans/media reaction to Eli’s benching 

I think who he was benched for was a major part of the factor. Had they gone straight to Webb, I don't think it would have been as loud.

53 minutes ago, Woz said:

I think who he was benched for was a major part of the factor. Had they gone straight to Webb, I don't think it would have been as loud.

True but considering 11 months later Webb is on the street I guess that wasn’t an option at the time. 

Just now, bigdog44 said:

True but considering 11 months later Webb is on the street I guess that wasn’t an option at the time. 

Was more of an option than Geno "Should Have Been On The Street Two to Three Years Ago" Smith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woz said:

That's an incredible insult to Colt McCoy.

At least Geno has played in the last year. Just heard on radio the master plan was to start Geno because he can deal with the media for the crazy week that was Eli’s benching than soften the blow to start Webb. Worked brilliantly lol made me think of this thread. 

41 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

At least Geno has played in the last year. 

Has? Yes. Should of? No.

Also, since 2015, Smith has appeared in seven games (started only the bench Eli game), and attempted 93 passes over these three plus years (34 of which were that one game). So, let's not act like he's gotten a ton more snaps than McCoy has (Colt has had 11 attempts over the same span). 

Just heard on radio the master plan was to start Geno because he can deal with the media for the crazy week that was Eli’s benching than soften the blow to start Webb. 

If that was the plan, then they should have immediately turned the ball over to Webb after Smith lost to Oakland. That at least would have made some modicum of sense. Instead, they inexplicably went back to Eli Manning and never gave Webb a snap. It was the whiplash of dumping Eli (quiet-like ... remember, they wanted him to start to keep the streak alive but then turn the ball over to Smith mid-game) and then immediately turning back to him once they realized their blunder (both from a PR and from a competitive point of view).

Look, I'm not saying Davis Webb is the next coming of Dan Marino or anything. Heck, I don't even think I could say he's the next coming of Dan Orlovsky.

But if we cannot agree that Geno Smith has no business being on a NFL sideline in a uniform and that the Giants coaching staff last year made a massive boneheaded mistake by giving him the ball at all ... well ... I don't know if we can actually talk football with each other anymore. The gap of how you and I each view the game may be too large to bridge if this is the case (I hope it isn't).

The fact that Smith is stealing yet another paycheck from a team in the NFL (albeit from a team who may not have seen him as much as the Giants should have as they're on the opposite coast) boggles my mind.

Worked brilliantly lol made me think of this thread. 

Well if the plan for the head coach and the general manager was to get each other fired, then yes it absolutely worked. Otherwise ... *shrugs*

We can definitely talk ball. Was taking the Geno side for arguments sake. As far as the Giants last year, I still say McAdoo had to try something to try and save his job. He must have felt Webb wasn’t ready and when Webb couldn’t get out of camp with Shurmur I guess in that aspect he was right. McAdoo became the easy scapegoat for a poorly constructed team. It was always going to be hard replacing Coughlin, and he definitely didn’t help himself in how he handled the locker room or the media, or the sideline, or his hair. This year Shurmur is proving that even with the addition of Saquon Barkley and Will Hernandez that roster is God awful and contrary to what most Giant fans believed there were no quick fixes. 

20 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

We can definitely talk ball. Was taking the Geno side for arguments sake. As far as the Giants last year, I still say McAdoo had to try something to try and save his job. He must have felt Webb wasn’t ready and when Webb couldn’t get out of camp with Shurmur I guess in that aspect he was right. McAdoo became the easy scapegoat for a poorly constructed team. It was always going to be hard replacing Coughlin, and he definitely didn’t help himself in how he handled the locker room or the media, or the sideline, or his hair. This year Shurmur is proving that even with the addition of Saquon Barkley and Will Hernandez that roster is God awful and contrary to what most Giant fans believed there were no quick fixes. 

On the bolded point, fair enough.

And I know you're right about how far the Giants were and how ... shall we say ... overly optimistic their fanbase was that they were turning the ship this year.

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And I seem to remember some Redskins fans (one of whom is perma banned now) being VERY salty that we didn't draft him

If I remember though, Collins played LG as a rookie and played pretty well. So, in that role, perhaps we could’ve used him.