Around the NFC East

turtle28

This is all very situational. Does Trent return? Does Gerod develop? If no and no, then this debate between OT vs WR is a no brainer - i.e. if Andrew Thomas grades out as a Top 5 pick +/- 2 rating points of Jerry Jeudy, you take Thomas 10/10. Certain positions are handicapped due to the impact they have on the entirety of the offense.... QB and LT are some of those positions. 

However, if Trent returns and his play remains consistent with what we have grown to expect (and there are no significant injury concerns) then I am OK with trading out of our top 5 pick (its that kind of season, stop kidding yourself) to a QB needy team. I don't want Jeudy as a result of said opportunity cost - I would rather have cheap starters and flexibility extending Sherff and our young D Line.

This is why they should've traded Trent!!! You could have possibly had the opportunity to get a Jeudy and LT in the 1st round of the draft. Or Tunsil and a 1st for Williams, ending the need for a new LT. 

No Bruce wants to be stubbborn and dumb and have us fans arguing with each other. 

I'm not passing on Jeudy for a OT. This team has no #1 WR. Please don't mention PRich or Terry because neithier are #1 WRs. Only way I consider that is if they were to sign Cooper in the offseason. 

Edited by Skins212689

You mean play alongside top tier talent against over matched opponents? Ya - I have seen him play.  Don't get me wrong though - he is a stud, but for the reasons noted above, I like other options (which is just an opinion). And haven't we been over this a million times before - Superbowl Champs generally spend their money/ draft capital elsewhere..... Like - OH YA THE TRENCHES.

Edited by Troublez

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If Chase Young or Jerry Jeudy are as good as they seem to be, then no, Andrew Thomas is not on the same planet as far as prospects are concerned. 

Looks like were not going to agree bc again, Thomas can block Young to protect his QB and Jeudy needs a guy like Thomas to protect his QB otherwise Jeudy doesn't get the ball.

The LT position is the second most important position on the football field after the QB and Thomas is a great prospect too.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, Troublez said:

This is all very situational. Does Trent return? Does Gerod develop? If no and no, then this debate between OT vs WR is a no brainer - i.e. if Andrew Thomas grades out as a Top 5 pick +/- 2 rating points of Jerry Jeudy, you take Thomas 10/10. Certain positions are handicapped due to the impact they have on the entirety of the offense.... QB and LT are some of those positions. 

However, if Trent returns and his play remains consistent with what we have grown to expect (and there are no significant injury concerns) then I am OK with trading out of our top 5 pick (its that kind of season, stop kidding yourself) to a QB needy team. I don't want Jeudy as a result of said opportunity cost - I would rather have cheap starters and flexibility extending Sherff and our young D Line.

No you don’t lol. We have absolutely nothing at receiver. Literally NOTHING. So we draft Thomas and give Haskins time to sit in the pocket and get sacked because our receivers suck and can’t get open. 

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No you don’t lol. We have absolutely nothing at receiver. Literally NOTHING. So we draft Thomas and give Haskins time to sit in the pocket and get sacked because our receivers suck and can’t get open. 

You don't have a crystal ball either man. I know you don't want to think one positive thought about our WR group but it's entirely possible that PRich reaches his potential this year, McLaurin makes every team wish they hadn't passed on him and Quinn looks like he did at Dallas last year in every game this year.

It's not likely that happens, but possible. 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

You mean play alongside top tier talent against over matched opponents? Ya - I have seen him play.  Don't get me wrong though - he is a stud, but for the reasons noted above, I like other options (which is just an opinion). And haven't we been over this a million times before - Superbowl Champs generally spend their money/ draft capital elsewhere..... Like - OH YA THE TRENCHES.

Seahawks spent the 5th most on WRs the year they won the SB.  

Broncos spent the 4th most on WRs the year they won.

Eagles spent 11th most on WRs the year they won.

Patriots are the only recent team to win the SB that hasn't spent a lot on WR's, and that's mostly due to the fact that they led the league in TE spending pretty much every year due to Gronk.  Also, they were still top half of the league in spending on WR's most years this decade.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Seahawks spent the 5th most on WRs the year they won the SB.  

Broncos spent the 4th most on WRs the year they won.

Eagles spent 11th most on WRs the year they won.

Patriots are the only recent team to win the SB that hasn't spent a lot on WR's, and that's mostly due to the fact that they led the league in TE spending pretty much every year due to Gronk.  Also, they were still top half of the league in spending on WR's most years this decade.

We won a lot of playoffs games when we were spending $25 million a year on WRs for 4 years...

Oh, oh wait...

Just now, turtle28 said:

We won a lot of playoffs games when we were spending $25 million a year on WRs for 4 years...

Oh, oh wait...

At least we made the playoffs.  We were bottom 4 in WR spending last year and bottom 10 the year before.  How'd that work out?

The bottom line is, if a transcendent talent is staring you in the face during the draft, you draft him (unless it's a position that has become devalued like RB and ILB).  It's a passing league, and it's been proven that you can win SB's using significant capital on the WR position.  That's not the same thing as saying you're guaranteed to win if you do, so don't use that straw-man.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It's not about not wanting Jeudy for me. It's about wanting to protect Haskins better for his future and then finding him more weapons.

This is the best WR draft since 2014.  What if the 2021 and 2022 drafts are like 2016 all over again?

Hasins is the kind of QB who will rely on better interior blocking which will allow him to step up into the pocket, rather than elite blocking on the outside - similar to Brady.  I don't think there's a need to bypass a talent like Jeudy for a LT with Haskins at QB.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

At least we made the playoffs.  We were bottom 4 in WR spending last year and bottom 10 the year before.  How'd that work out?

The bottom line is, if a transcendent talent is staring you in the face during the draft, you draft him (unless it's a position that has become devalued like RB and ILB).  It's a passing league, and it's been proven that you can win SB's using significant capital on the WR position.  That's not the same thing as saying you're guaranteed to win if you do, so don't use that straw-man.

It didn't work out well bc of injury. Things would have been different if our two best WRs weren't hurt almost the entire year and our top two QBs didn't break their legs.

Last time I checked before Alex broke his leg, even w/o Crowder & PRich for many games, we were still 6-3.

How the hell is Haskins going go get the ball off if we don't have an answer at LT?

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is the best WR draft since 2014.  What if the 2021 and 2022 drafts are like 2016 all over again?

Hasins is the kind of QB who will rely on better interior blocking which will allow him to step up into the pocket, rather than elite blocking on the outside - similar to Brady.  I don't think there's a need to bypass a talent like Jeudy for a LT with Haskins at QB.

Good, so we can wait a round to take a WR and take the Best LT in round 1.

And lmao at Haskins or any QB doesn't need good do great blocking on the outside.

Hello? It's a passing league as you said and if you don't have your QB protected, you can't pass the ball, especially a young QB.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

It didn't work out well bc of injury. Things would have been different if our two best WRs weren't hurt almost the entire year and our top two QBs didn't break their legs.

Last time I checked before Alex broke his leg, even w/o Crowder & PRich for many games, we were still 6-3.

With a negative point differential.  You know I was just as big an Alex Smith supporter as you were last off-season, but that offense wasn't good enough to sustain a winning record throughout the season, and Alex was a big part of the problem.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

How the hell is Haskins going go get the ball off if we don't have an answer at LT?

You don't need to draft a 1st round LT to have an answer at LT.