Around the NFC East

turtle28

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Andy Dalton signed with tge Cowboys. Eww, I hate it. I was for sure he’d go to the Patriots bc they’re a decent qb away from still being a playoff team. If Dal gets hurt, the Cowboys still have a competent QB, I hate this.

We can only hope Dak gets every penny he’s holding out for. But this move makes me worry they will do the smart play and draft another and let him walk. Dalton can def come in and win in a pinch. But hopefully Dak gets his deal and cap straps this team for the foreseeable future. Too much money for 3 guys. Eventually their roster will start losing key depth. Can’t wait for Young and Sweat to help Dak feel really comfortable with nowhere to run and no time to throw. To many times he’s shined against lesser opponents it’s time he faces a Redskins D that makes him earn every yard. Can’t wait to start rattling him with 4.4 speed off the edge’s and a pocket he can no longer step up into with our dogs inside. The NFL needs the Redskins Dallas to be a battle again

• Like 1

If you’re Dak, what are you thinking right now! That the organization don’t think you’re a franchise quarterback. This gives Dallas a little bit of leverage against Dak. When we get back to football this does not make for a happy locker room. 

8 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If you’re Dak, what are you thinking right now! That the organization don’t think you’re a franchise quarterback. This gives Dallas a little bit of leverage against Dak. When we get back to football this does not make for a happy locker room. 

I agree.  Jerry knows he's not getting younger, and he's got a lot of cap tied up in a lot of players.  I don't see how they can pay Dakota the money he wants and continue to field a competitive team over the duration of the contract without retooling on the fly.  

At the same time, I don't think Dalton is the answer either.  

The Cowboys gave Dalton a one year deal worth up to $7 million and only $3 million in guaranteed. It’s a contract similar to what Colt McCoy siged with the Redskins in 2018.

The Cowboys franchised Dak for $31.4 million, a nearly $30 million difference in salary, so it’s clear where their allegiances lie.

The Cowboys have also already offered Dak a contract that on avg would have paid him $33 million 33 and included $105 million in guaranteed money. I think he should have signed it, but he thinks he should be paid the most at the position in the NFL like Kirk did, which is his right, but I wouldn’t have turned down that offer. I question after this season - and with Lawrence & Fields getting drafted next year #1 & 2 - where else Dak would go and get that kind of contract in the NFL, maybe Chicago when they move on from Trubisky next year or if one of the 2nd or 3rd year QBs crap out but I think Dak is going to be the starting QB for the Cowboys for the rest of his career.

Edited by turtle28

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Eyes Blinking GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I love this! 1 of 2 things happens here:

1. They don't keep Dak on a LTD, they do what we did to Kirk. They franchise him this year, next year and then let him walk two years from now bc they don't want to pay him $35-45 mil a year.

2. They give him the $ and the rest of the team struggles. The Cowboys have had the luxury of having Dak on a 4th round salary for 4 years, we’ll see what happens when they can't keep some players in the next few years bc of that.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

#badluck

It’s an interesting discussion that has taken place in this forum for years and all came to a head with the Trent Williams situation the last year. 

I tend to lead towards the Redskins have drafted and signed a lot of players who had been battling injuries for years in college or the pros before they signed them or drafted them. We can go through the list, but people know the biggest names:

1. Jordan Reed

2. Chris Thompson

3. Paul Richardson (who I hoped would stay healthy but didn’t)

4. Guice and now Love

Also, while the training staff obviously had issues - the biggest questions are with what happened to Alex Smith - if players are breaking legs, spraining and/or tearing ligaments it’s impossible for a training staff to stop that from happening. Now, muscle injures happen as well, and I’d blame those more on the training staff’s failures more than the other types of injuries.

Let’s not forget that both Ryan Clark and DJ Swearinger called out their teammates for they themselves not going the extra mile to keep their bodies ready to play a full 16 games.

I’ll always remember all the stuff that James Harrison of the Steelers went through with massages, acupuncture’s  and chiropractors outside of what the Steelers training staff was offering.

So, in a lot of ways it’s on the players to go the extra mile so that their bodies are ready for a 16 game season and so that they can hope to avoid muscle injuries during the season. I mean that guy constantly prepared his body to play 16 games plus 4 games in the playoffs/Super Bowl and he was always  ready - heck if you follow him on Instagram he still trains like a pro athlete and could play in theNFL today even at the age of 42.

If Redskins players are doing that, a lot of that is on them, not just the training staff.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 1:40 PM, turtle28 said:

It’s an interesting discussion that has taken place in this forum for years and all came to a head with the Trent Williams situation the last year. 

I tend to lead towards the Redskins have drafted and signed a lot of players who had been battling injuries for years in college or the pros before they signed them or drafted them. We can go through the list, but people know the biggest names:

1. Jordan Reed

2. Chris Thompson

3. Paul Richardson (who I hoped would stay healthy but didn’t)

4. Guice and now Love

Also, while the training staff obviously had issues - the biggest questions are with what happened to Alex Smith - if players are breaking legs, spraining and/or tearing ligaments it’s impossible for a training staff to stop that from happening. Now, muscle injures happen as well, and I’d blame those more on the training staff’s failures more than the other types of injuries.

Let’s not forget that both Ryan Clark and DJ Swearinger called out their teammates for they themselves not going the extra mile to keep their bodies ready to play a full 16 games.

I’ll always remember all the stuff that James Harrison of the Steelers went through with massages, acupuncture’s  and chiropractors outside of what the Steelers training staff was offering.

So, in a lot of ways it’s on the players to go the extra mile so that their bodies are ready for a 16 game season and so that they can hope to avoid muscle injuries during the season. I mean that guy constantly prepared his body to play 16 games plus 4 games in the playoffs/Super Bowl and he was always  ready - heck if you follow him on Instagram he still trains like a pro athlete and could play in theNFL today even at the age of 42.

If Redskins players are doing that, a lot of that is on them, not just the training staff.

Good post.  These guys also can't focus on just one aspect of their body, like LaRon Landry and his huge arms.  Also, you look at some other groups, specifically wrestling because it's high impact like football is, and you see guys who are constantly injured have huge, massive upper bodies but don't spend the proportional amount on their lower body.  Kevin Nash's quad probably rings true the most.  

The team can only recommend a training program for these guys, they can't actually enforce them doing it.  So doing some things "above and beyond" are only going to help.  

I will say- some sprains on ligaments could very well be due to faulty S&C work.  But some of the high impact injuries like Alex Smith, or torn ACL's, torn pectorals, you can't predict when those are going to happen.  

As far as Guice and Love are concerned, outside of Love's last year at Stanford (which he never should've come back for anyway) they were remarkably healthy for running backs.  I will be interested to see how Love is when he takes the field, because he rehabbed the ACL injury mostly under the former regime.  It will be interesting if Guice's knees not holding up after his surgery will carry over or not.  I also wasn't sold on how the S&C department handled rehab from injuries as well.  

• Like 1