Around the NFC East

turtle28

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

But for reasons I don't quite understand, some people seem to think this team would do something in the playoffs.

The amount of weapons both the Saints and Bucs have........we would be ded.  We can't cover all of the Bucs WR's as well as Gronk.  With the Saints, Kamara carves us up.  We don't have an answer for him, and Michael Thomas will always get his.  Alex Smith will also get crushed against either pass rush.  A division win might be feel good for this season, but it is perhaps the worst possible outcome, especially if it is coming at the cost of developing some other talent while we start JAG veterans.  

With all due respect Woz & nap.

Playoff games & or Superbowls aren't always won by the most talented teams.

If that were the case, the Jets never beat the Colts in Superbowl 3.

The 7-9 Seahawks never beat the Saints in the WC round at home.

Playoff football is about momentum.

And sometimes? A little luck

Edited by aceinthehouse

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The amount of weapons both the Saints and Bucs have........we would be ded.  We can't cover all of the Bucs WR's as well as Gronk.  With the Saints, Kamara carves us up.  We don't have an answer for him, and Michael Thomas will always get his.  Alex Smith will also get crushed against either pass rush.  A division win might be feel good for this season, but it is perhaps the worst possible outcome, especially if it is coming at the cost of developing some other talent while we start JAG veterans.  

Technically, since the Rams beat the Bucs, they would be the #1 wild card right now.

6 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

With all do respect Woz & nap.

For a single game? Sure, the scrappy underdog can surprise a heavy favorite. Take the 2010 Seahawks. Yeah, they surprised the Saints and now have that iconic TD run by Lynch that set off the seismographs. They then lost the next week in Chicago 35-24.

But for a four game run? That requires actual talent. Take the 1968 Jets for instance. Yes, they weren't supposed to beat the Colts, but they were 11-3 in the regular season. They weren't a scrub team, just a team from what was considered a "lesser" league (that then merged into the NFL).

Edited by Woz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

With all due respect Woz & nap.

The Seahawks had a prime Hasselbeck (who also struggled during the season) and Marshawn Lynch leading their offense, with a new OL built around a rookie named Russell Okung.  Their defense also had talent at all levels, including Chris Clemons (11 sacks), Lofa Tatupu (a seasoned leader at MLB, something we haven't had since LF-B), and a young secondary led by veteran Lawyer Milloy including two rookies named Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas.  

So, aside from their secondary comparing to our DL, and Lynch comparing to McLaurin as an offensive weapon, I don't see how we compare.  Maybe we have Gibson, who is a much better secondary weapon than any WR Hasselbeck had to work with that season.  But their OL was better than ours, and their front seven was better than our back seven. 

I'm also taking Pete Carroll over Ron Rivera, and especially the defensive staff.  Gus Bradley was the DC and has four DCs under him coaching (Dan Quinn, Ken Norton Jr, Jerry Gray and Kris Richard.) 

Oh, and if you expect old man Alex to all of the sudden pull a Hasselbeck and throw for nearly 300 yards and four TDs against the Rams, Bucs, or Saints.......I have some beachfront property in Oklahoma I'd like you to buy.  

This all is so improbable, and sets us up for a much tougher 2021.......which might actually benefit us, especially if we lose the draft positioning this year by winning the division.  But just like everything else with this team, it is another thing we can't do right.  Which is all compounded when we are doing this with JAG veterans getting snaps over young players who might have a future here beyond this year.  

16 minutes ago, Woz said:

Technically, since the Rams beat the Bucs, they would be the #1 wild card right now.

So we get Brady or Brees dissecting us with talent that we can't match up against, or McVay and KOC wanting to stick it to us with almost equal levels of talent- and the ability to probably kill Alex Smith by unleashing Aaron Donald (and his four sacks against us) on us again 

Woz, I'd like to take "how to severely mess up drafting" for $2000 please.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woz said:

But for reasons I don't quite understand, some people seem to think this team would do something in the playoffs.

Who are these people? If doing something means winning more than one playoff game, I think those people are drinking too much blue kool-aid. We have too many holes on defense that a good offensive team would exploit. Our offensive has improved some, but it is not good enough yet to beat out an top of the line defensive team. I would be happy if the Giants made it to playoffs lost but was able to make it a competitive game.

11 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Who are these people? If doing something means winning more than one playoff game, I think those people are drinking too much blue kool-aid. We have too many holes on defense that a good offensive team would exploit. Our offensive has improved some, but it is not good enough yet to beat out an top of the line defensive team. I would be happy if the Giants made it to playoffs lost but was able to make it a competitive game.

I believe Woz is referring to our fans.  I view your comment in a similar way about making it a competitive game, but I want it to be with younger players who are going to be here.  This teams gets nothing from having guys like Dontrelle Inman, Jon Bostic, Kevin Pierre Louis, Thomas Davis and Peyton Barber get a bunch of snaps.  If we were winning and we had younger guys and recent draft picks getting those snaps and doing well with them, I'm all on board.  But guys like the ones I mentioned above.......they are who we know them to be.  There isn't unlocking some special secret, and the ceiling of the backups is higher than what those guys are performing at right now to boot.  

I just don't understand the infatuation with those veterans, especially this late in the season. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 1:11 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

I just don't understand the infatuation with those veterans, especially this late in the season. 

Because "wecanwinthedivisionandthenmakenoiseintheplayoffsandwinitallifyoujustbelieveabitmoretinkerbellneedsyoutoclapharderandlouderorshewilldie!"

• Like 1