My top-10 2023 drafts.

Suffering_Bills

Pretty tough to evaluate the rest of these, so I'll leave it at 10. Every team added talent, of course.

#01. INDIANAPOLIS.

SO much of this one is dependent on the bust potential/possibility of Anthony Richardson, but sometimes you swing for the fences. He has the physical tools to be the best player in football, at the most important position in all of sports. Additionally, all of their other picks were athletic, high-upside types, as well. They absolutely stocked up on defensive backfield help with the selections of Brents, Rush, Scott, and Jones. I thought Downs and Adebawore were steals at their draft slots. Mallory should be a weapon in the passing game, in time. Freeland and Witt might be more like developmental picks at the OT position, but the athleticism is there to work with. Heck; even Hull and Leo weren't bad selections, considering where they were picked. Again, it depends on Richardson, but this could be franchise-altering.

#02. PITTSBURGH.

I like this draft for them, because not only did they get great talent, not only did they fill needs, but they got guys who look like near-PERFECT Pittsburgh Steelers. Seems to me. The move up to select Broderick Jones, thereby jumping the Jets, was one of the best that I've seen. He has the physical ability to wind up being the best offensive tackle from this class, and I just love the selection, as will Kenny Pickett. Joey Porter Jr. in the 2nd round was just a thing of beauty and pre-destiny. Best player/team fit IN this draft. Good value, too. The Keeanu Benton selection was solid as all heck. He will be in their rotation from day one, and is just a quality interior D-lineman. Nothing bad to say. Just truly loved the choice of Darnell Washington, and what a steal! Herbig will make the roster, as should Trice. Great job.

#03. PHILADELPHIA.

Any time you get a top-2 talent in a given draft at the #9 slot, it's a win. Are the character concerns with Jalen Carter legitimate? I think quite possibly. However, he went to probably the best team he could have gone to, and one would hope that would help him to keep his head on straight. There's the Georgia connection, there's the fact that Philly is a SERIOUS Super Bowl contender, and he knows all eyes will be on him. Nolan Smith was another steal, all the way down at the end of the first round. I think they might've gotten BOTH of their future starting safeties out of this draft. Granted, Kelee Ringo is technically a cornerback, and if he works out there, so much the better, right? Sydney Brown will be a starter, quite soon. Steen will probably be a starting guard. McKee looks like an interesting backup quarterback.

#04. CHICAGO.

The thing I can appreciate about this one is that not only did they give Fields some help that he deserves, but they helped out their defense at the same time. Darnell Wright should be a rock at offensive tackle for many years. The selections of Dexter and Pickens fills out their DT rotation quite nicely. NOT a huge fan of the Stevenson selection, as I thought there were better options available, even at the same position of CB, but we'll see. Roschon Johnson was a great pick, in my book, as were the selections of Scott and Sewell. Excellent use of resources in those rounds. Even Terell Smith, all the way down at pick #165, has a good chance of making the team. All-in-all, they added a lot of size, youth, and talent. Getting Carolina's 1st-rounder next year is just gravy. Some edge pass-rush help, though...?

#05. SEATTLE.

They did good, but I can't help but wonder if they should have gone a different route. Getting the draft's best CB and WR is great, no question, but Carter or Wilson at #5, and maybe a Banks at #20 might've been the better bang for the buck. Still, Witherspoon and JSN should ball out. Hall was a decent enough selection at #37. He will figure into their pass-rush rotation right away. They continued the overkill at running back theme with the selection of Charbonnet, but it's really not a terrible pick. RB's get injured more than just about anybody, so a running team has to have quality depth. The selection of Bradford was okay. He has his limitations, but his power in the running game will be put to use. I won't mention the rest of their picks by name, but they all offer decent depth. Good draft; could've been even better.

#06. CINCINNATI.

They didn't do anything to really blow your socks off with this one, but at the same time, they didn't do too much wrong, either. Kind of a slow and steady wins the race type of draft haul. Myles Murphy was good value where they got him. He's big, young, talented, and will only get better in time. Nice selection. D.J. Turner has all the speed in the world, and should be an effective cornerback in the league. Jordan Battle looks like a future starting safety. Charlie Jones will contribute as a slot WR, and Chase Brown has the look of an eventual starter at RB, especially when Mixon has another act of violence. Andrei Iosivas (Love that name) gives them another receiving target, which is of course conducive to keeping Joe Burrow content. They got a long-term punter in Robbins. A tight end should have been picked.

#07. ARIZONA.

I was honestly surprised that they selected Paris Johnson over Tyree Wilson, but the value of a potential franchise left tackle makes it understandable. He could absolutely be a long-term, cornerstone player for the team. I get it. B.J. Ojulari can definitely get after the quarterback, and he will be asked to do so immediately. I can't help but think he was drafted maybe a tad bit too high, though. The selections of Williams and Wilson made sense, but the injury history for both is concerning. If both stay healthy, and reach their full potential, this could be an amazing draft. Clayton Tune has the look of a career backup QB, but I guess that's what they wanted. Jon Gaines helps their O-line even more. Pappoe and Clark were quality picks that late. Having Houston's 1st-rounder next year could be absolutely huge.

#08. HOUSTON.

Very top-heavy draft, with a lot of proverbial eggs in a couple baskets, but this haul changes things in Houston in a big way. I'm fully on board with the selection of Stroud at #2. I thought he was the safest of the QB prospects, and he'll be the face of the franchise moving forward. Excellent. And, to get probably the top overall talent in Anderson is a pick that's hard to argue with. The price, though, was VERY high, to include next year's first-rounder. However, if you want to play, you gotta pay. They still do have Cleveland's 1st next year, so it's not like they mortgaged their future completely. Anderson will be under a lot of pressure to be a superstar. The bigger problem, I think, is that the rest of their picks this year seemed to be devoid of any legitimate difference-makers. Nothing there that's exciting, really.

#09. N.Y. GIANTS.

Safe, solid, simple, useful. These are some of the terms I would use to describe what the Giants did. Similar to the Bengals, they just mostly let the draft fall to them, and picked the players they figured would best help their team, right now. The 1st-round selection of Banks is one that I applauded. He has every physical attribute that you'd want in a potential #1 cornerback, and I happen to think he'll be a good one. John Michael Schmitz will be their starting center for the rest of this decade. Definitely NOT the type of pick that will make your heart beat fast with lust, but you need guys like this in the trenches to help you win games. They needed speed and talent at WR, and I believe they got a decent bargain with the Hyatt pick. I could go on, but it's safe to say they got 3 helpful starters with their first 3 picks.

#10. LAS VEGAS.

Aside from Anthony Richardson, I thought the guy with the highest upside in this draft was Tyree Wilson, whom the Raiders selected at lucky #7. Well worth the gamble. Do you see the Las Vegas theme, here? I can only hope. Still, seriously, Wilson could be absolutely incredible. The foot injury concerns may have dropped him a bit, but who doesn't get hurt in football? The selection of Mayer was as safe and solid as any pick in this draft. He was the best all-around tight end, and even though the Jason Witten comparisons are tired, they are completely valid. Probably never a star, but reliable as it gets. The selections of Young and Tucker kind of underwhelmed me, but they will both provide at least decent depth. Bennett was a good pick at his slot. Chris Smith was a nice late-rounder. Not too bad of a job.

Edited by Suffering_Bills
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Suffering_Bills said:

I'll eventually get all 32 drafts ranked in order, folks, but it'll take time. Please be patient. I'll kick it off with the the team that I thought had THE best draft, overall.

#01. INDIANAPOLIS.

SO much of this one is dependent on the bust potential/possibility of Anthony Richardson, but sometimes you swing for the fences. He has the physical tools to be the best player in football, at the most important position in all of sports. Additionally, all of their other picks were athletic, high-upside types, as well. They absolutely stocked up on defensive backfield help with the selections of Brents, Rush, Scott, and Jones. I thought Downs and Adebawore were steals at their draft slots. Mallory should be a weapon in the passing game, in time. Freeland and Witt might be more like developmental picks at the OT position, but the athleticism is there to work with. It depends on Richardson, but this could be franchise-altering.

I would have absolutely loved the Colts draft if I believed in Brents. I personally see him as a bust, which is gonna drive down their pretty darn great draft. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 6:35 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

I would have absolutely loved the Colts draft if I believed in Brents. I personally see him as a bust, which is gonna drive down their pretty darn great draft. 

On 5/15/2023 at 6:35 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

Brents might be better as a safety, but he can play football.

On 5/14/2023 at 11:23 PM, Suffering_Bills said:

#02. PITTSBURGH.

I like this draft for them, because not only did they get great talent, not only did they fill needs, but they got guys who look like near-PERFECT Pittsburgh Steelers. Seems to me. The move up to select Broderick Jones, thereby jumping the Jets, was one of the best that I've seen. He has the physical ability to wind up being the best offensive tackle from this class, and I just love the selection, as will Kenny Pickett. Joey Porter Jr. in the 2nd round was just a thing of beauty and pre-destiny. Best player/team fit IN this draft. Good value, too. The Keeanu Benton selection was solid as all heck. He will be in their rotation from day one, and is just a quality interior D-lineman. Nothing bad to say. Just truly loved the choice of Darnell Washington, and what a steal! Herbig will make the roster, as should Trice. Great job.

Best story for the draft.  Yes.  Best fit?  No.

Unless the Steeler are going to move to a press man coverage, it is a horrible fit.  But the moves they are making seems like they will play more press man.  If they play it 5 times next year it will be more because they NEVER play press man.

21 minutes ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Personal preferences aside, Wilson does have the physical potential to become the best defensive player in this draft class.

Does he thought? We literally have zero testing on him. And he wasn’t even that great on tape. He’s pure hype with nothing backing it up. And the history of old big 12 defensive players doing well isn’t great 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Cards
2. Texans
3. Colts
4. Eagles
5. Browns
6. Steelers
7. Giants
8. Falcons
9. Saints
10. Bills
11. Rams
12. Seahawks
13. Pats
14. Vikings
15. Jags
16. Ravens
17. Dolphins
18. Broncos
19. Chiefs
20. Panthers
21. Bears
22. Bengals
23. Bucs
24. Commanders
25. Raiders
26. Jets
27. Packers
28. Chargers
29. Cowboys
30. Titans
31. Lions
32. 49ers

Edited by Daniel

On 6/4/2023 at 5:23 AM, hburn said:

Yea I was always confused by everyone just randomly declaring him some athletic freak. 

Just to add to the echo chamber, I think Tyree Wilson will bust hard, be a league-average starter at best. I see a 3rd-4th rounder.

• Like 1