2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

22 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I’m not really in a position to judge since I was low on Mahomes as a prospect, but I was never even remotely on the Zach Wilson bandwagon and was called clueless for not liking him at all. It felt so obvious. This was when teams were trying so hard to get a Mahomes or Allen that they were tossing weird mechanic risks into the ring. Trey Lance was a part of this too, although he was the end part of the small school raw talent “I can fix him” effort in the nfl. Fields’ biggest downfall in college was not using his legs and having a great OL and WR corps to let him take naps in the pocket and seem/(actually become) indecisive or slow. 

Fields was/is a big game hunter.  What gets interpreted as being slow to process is usually more him waiting for the TD to open up.  This is actually a typical problem for big armed athletic QBs bc their physical gifts let them overcome A LOT.  When your entire life you can you can do whatever you want just bc you are so much more gifted than everybody else on the field, you develop the bad habit of thinking you can make every play a TD.  Wilson had it, Watson had it, Allen has it, Jackson has it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was never low on Mahomes per se, but his tendencies and skill set reminded me so much of Cutler it made me gun shy on him. 

My reason was more barbaric: I didn’t trust air raid/gunslingers and thought of system passers like Colt Brennan and Graham Harrell as a permanent excuse to avoid it. I thought Mahomes would have a much rockier time in the league than he’s had 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was never low on Mahomes per se, but his tendencies and skill set reminded me so much of Cutler it made me gun shy on him. 

I was super high on him but said he needed an offensive HC. Fox being likely so conservative made me nervous. Thought Mahomes would force a lot of action if he didn't get to be aggressive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I was super high on him but said he needed an offensive HC. Fox being likely so conservative made me nervous. Thought Mahomes would force a lot of action if he didn't get to be aggressive.

I would have probably liked him I can say with no evidence or proof, but Pace successfully tricked me.  

I thought we were waiting until the following year to draft a QB so I was convinced we were drafting either Jamal Adams or Marshone Lattimore.

I didn’t even look at QBs really that year.  

Mahomes sold me because after diving into his tape before that draft, the year before he came out, Texas Tech played LSU in a bowl game, and Mahomes looked exactly the same when LSU had a top 15 defense that year.

Statisically too, I felt people where undervaluing Mahomes coming out because Texas Tech's record was terrible.... but a deeper dive on that had them losing something like 9 games where the offense scored over 45 points.

Unfortunately, Mahomes then caused me to (dramatically) overvalue Zach Wilson in that draft class, even despite watching his pretty "meh" game against the CFB "powerhouse" that was Coastal Carolina (a team I'd literally never heard of before that game). I feel like leaguewide, there was a strong overreaction to people (myself included) looking for "the next Mahomes"

Ultimately a major difference between the two players was background. Mahomes grew up as the kid of a professional athlete, and being around that atmosphere all the time probably instilled a professionalism in him that many other prospects lacked. He grew up in an environment that knew what it took to make the professional level.

Wilson, on the other hand, grew up as a spoiled rich kid who had everything more or less handed to him on a silver platter, including apparently, his attractive mother's attractive friends.  The Jets might be the first real adversity he's ever encountered in his life, and in a dramatically bigger market than Utah.  He had the natural talent to be a success, but it's doubtful he can fundamentally reinvent himself as the kind of person he'd need to be to get there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Epyon said:

Mahomes sold me because after diving into his tape before that draft, the year before he came out, Texas Tech played LSU in a bowl game, and Mahomes looked exactly the same when LSU had a top 15 defense that year.

Statisically too, I felt people where undervaluing Mahomes coming out because Texas Tech's record was terrible.... but a deeper dive on that had them losing something like 9 games where the offense scored over 45 points.

Unfortunately, Mahomes then caused me to (dramatically) overvalue Zach Wilson in that draft class, even despite watching his pretty "meh" game against the CFB "powerhouse" that was Coastal Carolina (a team I'd literally never heard of before that game). I feel like leaguewide, there was a strong overreaction to people (myself included) looking for "the next Mahomes"

Ultimately a major difference between the two players was background. Mahomes grew up as the kid of a professional athlete, and being around that atmosphere all the time probably instilled a professionalism in him that many other prospects lacked. He grew up in an environment that knew what it took to make the professional level.

Wilson, on the other hand, grew up as a spoiled rich kid who had everything more or less handed to him on a silver platter, including apparently, his attractive mother's attractive friends.  The Jets might be the first real adversity he's ever encountered in his life, and in a dramatically bigger market than Utah.  He had the natural talent to be a success, but it's doubtful he can fundamentally reinvent himself as the kind of person he'd need to be to get there.

When you watched him he didn't do the standard Air Raid offense. He made several reads on multiple plays, he looked off safeties to help open windows, and made a lot of adjustments when he read defenses. He took a ton of scrubs and made them look great, it reminded me of Rodgers at Cal. I got into a lot of heated discussions over his record too, because when you put up an average of 40 points and lose because you have a bottom 3 defense in the entire FBS, that isn't on the QB.

To me Mahomes is awesome, but he married a psycho and his brother reminds me of Zach Wilson, minus the talent. Weird combo. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm trying to think of who may trade for Taylor and the only team that makes a lot of sense is Miami

My list:

Miami

Buffalo (James Cook, Damien Harris)

Baltimore (JK Dobbins injuries, contract year)

KC (McKinnon, Pacheco, Clyde Edwards-Helaire)

Dallas (Pollard/Taylor RBBC, sign the better of the two)

Washington (Looking for another playmaker on offense)

Minnesota (Mattison is not the answer)

Tampa Bay (Lost Fournette, 2nd year Rachaad White first in line)

LA Rams (Not afraid of making trades, is Akers a good football player?)