2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I can’t see them talking up all offseason getting Fields more weapons only to trade his 2nd most established weapon on the perimeter 2 weeks before the season. That would be completely counterintuitive. 

You need 3 good WR to have a good offense in modern NFL.  

Plus a good OL and good QB.  I am counting TEs with WRS since many of them are just big WRs. 

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Plus a good OL and good QB.  I am counting TEs with WRS since many of them are just big WRs. 

Didn’t Mahomes just win a SB with 0 good WR (one great TE)

• Like 1

https://x.com/jfowlerespn/status/1696529049198453054?s=46&t=zS6myTJEZGWh-8Y4tXRk5w

If AJ Epenesa were to be released (less likely with Basham being traded) I could see us considering a claim. 6.5 sacks, 5 PD and 2 FF last year for Buffalo on just 375 snaps. I have no idea what he can do against the run, but he’d bring a salary of just $1.4M on the last year of his deal. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Didn’t Mahomes just win a SB with 0 good WR (one great TE)

Mahomes was dang near super human last year too.

Mahomes and Brady are exceptions.  Great players are force multipliers.   

But I would still consider JuJu good.  M. Valdes-Scantling borderline almost good.   And Kelce is arguably best receiving TE of all time.

So he got it done with just 2 quality weapons, but he also may be best QB ever when it is said and done. 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You need 3 capable weapons. That can be a mix of WRs/TE/RB but the problem is, its very hard to pay all of them. One of those needs to be on a rookie/old-market deal, and I doubt we have Moore on that for much more than one more year. Which would mean we need either Kmet to completely out-play his new deal, or Mooney/Claypool to become a good deal after we sign them, OR most likely we will need to draft a guy who can quickly become an impact weapon

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You need 3 capable weapons. That can be a mix of WRs/TE/RB but the problem is, its very hard to pay all of them. One of those needs to be on a rookie/old-market deal, and I doubt we have Moore on that for much more than one more year. Which would mean we need either Kmet to completely out-play his new deal, or Mooney/Claypool to become a good deal after we sign them, OR most likely we will need to draft a guy who can quickly become an impact weapon

So you are just gonna look over Velus Jones like that? The disrespect 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

If Moore has the type of year many of us are expecting this year I think it would make a ton of sense to extend him after 2023. Our cap hits to him are currently $16,050,000 for each of 2024 and 2025, with 2024 being his age 27 season.

Say after this year we give him a 4-year $104M extension with a $25M signing bonus (for reference, AJ Brown’s Eagles extension was 4/100 with a $23.2M SB, $57.2M total guarantee). Without modifying the existing years at all other than SB amortization (and maybe guaranteeing them) we could do so by bumping his 2024-25 cap years above to $21,050,000 (existing + $5M annual SB amortization), meaning you’d only have to allow for $79M in cap charges over the final 4 years of the deal, which could easily be structured in a way where the final year has a large base salary where your cap hits for all the years through his age 31 season are more in the $15-20M range.

It’s essentially applying the model for a franchise QB coming off a rookie contract to a #1 WR you already have on a below market deal. Use your favorable situation now to create a more favorable one down the road. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Moore has the type of year many of us are expecting this year I think it would make a ton of sense to extend him after 2023. Our cap hits to him are currently $16,050,000 for each of 2024 and 2025, with 2024 being his age 27 season.

Say after this year we give him a 4-year $104M extension with a $25M signing bonus (for reference, AJ Brown’s Eagles extension was 4/100 with a $23.2M SB, $57.2M total guarantee). Without modifying the existing years at all other than SB amortization (and maybe guaranteeing them) we could do so by bumping his 2024-25 cap years above to $21,050,000 (existing + $5M annual SB amortization), meaning you’d only have to allow for $79M in cap charges over the final 4 years of the deal, which could easily be structured in a way where the final year has a large base salary where your cap hits for all the years through his age 31 season are more in the $15-20M range.

It’s essentially applying the model for a franchise QB coming off a rookie contract to a #1 WR you already have on a below market deal. Use your favorable situation now to create a more favorable one down the road. 

my biggest worry with this (not that its a big worry or pressing one, just initial) is in 2-3 years when he's getting "paid"
18M but other WR contracts are now ~25M and he claims hes being underpaid and holds out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I still have no idea what Poles saw when they took Jones in the 3rd round. I will just never get it

Traits? Save trainer spending since he's on Medicare?

That was one of those picks I don't think anyone really liked at the time. 

He really does have speed but man does he pull the trigger correctly. 

2 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Traits? Save trainer spending since he's on Medicare?

That was one of those picks I don't think anyone really liked at the time. 

He really does have speed but man does he pull the trigger correctly. 

I guess that's it. Speed. They saw speed and hoped it would translate into being a football player. Too bad he couldn't catch in college and in the NFL it's more of the time + he can't catch punts now either

51 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I guess that's it. Speed. They saw speed and hoped it would translate into being a football player. Too bad he couldn't catch in college and in the NFL it's more of the time + he can't catch punts now either

Taking flyers on guys with traits is great! Using a third round pick on that guy when you have needs is not so great! 

• Like 1

I know it’s just an empty nicety, small talk between players. But if I was a rookie qb like Bryce Young and Aaron Rodgers told me he was a big fan of me, I’d probably geek out a little bit. 

6 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

my biggest worry with this (not that its a big worry or pressing one, just initial) is in 2-3 years when he's getting "paid"
18M but other WR contracts are now ~25M and he claims hes being underpaid and holds out

Sure, but the other side of that coin is that him making “just” $16M next year and the year after as he’s currently set may have him holding out after 2023 if he has a huge season this year too. That’s almost always going to be a concern for guys at the top of their respective positions.