2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

Honestly, I don't know that starting Bryce Young would be significantly different for Carolina's win count than Dalton.  I can't think of a rookie QB that came in and set the world ablaze, with the exception of Justin Herbert, and even then he only had a 6-9 record in his starts.

I think the ideal scenario is that Dalton starts week 1, plays 4 or 5 weeks terribly, and then the pressure forces Young into the lineup when he's not prepared to be.

Edited by TankWilliams
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Honestly, I don't know that starting Bryce Young would be significantly different for Carolina's win count than Dalton.  I can't think of a rookie QB that came in and set the world ablaze, with the exception of Justin Herbert, and even then he only had a 6-9 record in his starts.

I think the ideal scenario is that Dalton starts week 1, plays 4 or 5 weeks terribly, and then the pressure forces Young into the lineup when he's not prepared to be.

Given the price they paid to move up for Young coupled with the fact that the alternative is Andy Dalton I’d be pretty shocked if Young wasn’t starting week 1, especially in a year they know they’re rebuilding (they’re turning over all the key skill positions on offense after all). Dalton getting all the starters reps in mid May is pretty inconsequential IMO. They’ll make Young “earn” the spot same as we will Wright at RT. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Given the price they paid to move up for Young coupled with the fact that the alternative is Andy Dalton I’d be pretty shocked if Young wasn’t starting week 1, especially in a year they know they’re rebuilding (they’re turning over all the key skill positions on offense after all). Dalton getting all the starters reps in mid May is pretty inconsequential IMO. They’ll make Young “earn” the spot same as we will Wright at RT. 

I for one hope they follow the Nagy plan, where everyone in camp knows who should be starting, but you give all the reps to (literally) Andy Dalton so he can start the season, fizzle out as part of an disjointed offense, and then start Young with no prep anyway.   Only thing in the Panther's record favor would be that Young is probably better equipped to run their Dalton offense than Fields was.  

Starting Young early and taking their lumps on the fly would probably be better for the Panthers long term, no idea if he's ready enough to let his talent elevate the team yet. 

I for one say they should also acquire say Nick Foles, and oh I don't know, Caleb Haine just to really drag it out. 

• Like 4

We have the largest "rest" differential in the entire league this year (we get more rest time between games over the season than our opponents), and are the only team that has 0 games scheduled where we would have gotten less rest than our opponent going into it.

Be really interesting to see how big of a factor that is for overall roster health this year.

Super super interesting twitter thread that covers a lot of concerns with the schedule for the entire league.  KC and San Fran have a really brutal slate of games.

Edited by Epyon

As for the Young/Dalton Carolina thing..... A big factor in my mind is that Carolina wasn't actually the #1 draft pick, they where the #9 pick.  That changes the calculus a bit when trying to decide whether to start a rookie....because you aren't necessarily throwing him to the wolves behind a bunch of bums like often happens when a QB is taken #1 overall.  IMO if he is even close to Dalton's level by mid training camp, I'd just let him start the season.

On 5/16/2023 at 4:48 PM, Ty21 said:

The South belongs to anyone this year since they’re all mid at best but I have the saints as my fav to win it. Carr will do just fine there. 

I feel like the Falcons are the team that could surprise here. If Ridder can pull off any kind of quick game and get the ball to their weapons they could be good. 

Bijan is league ready and can line up anywhere

Their Rookie RB last year ran for 1200 yds

Two 6'5" receivers in Drake and Pitts 

Plus CP84 to do whatever he does

It is similar to the 49ers with 5 legit weapons (maybe a LITE version of SF) but that system doesn't need a dynamo QB, ATL could be really good with Ridder as their Jimmy G

But it won't be cuz of Pace, ha

On 5/17/2023 at 7:59 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Given the price they paid to move up for Young, I can’t see them rushing him in. They have a lot to lose in squandering their investment early. I don’t trust his frame to withstand the hits he was able to avoid in college, don’t know if it’s logical to throw him into an offense with all new pieces and no identity. One of his best characteristics is his mental game, so it’s hard to tell just how much a loss of confidence could negatively affect him like it did for Wilson or Trubisky. If I’m the panthers, when I say I intend to start Dalton to start, I’m not bluffing. Giving him starts this year I think would help, but making him #1 before he or the offense for that matter look ready could be dangerous. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jumbo said:

I feel like the Falcons are the team that could surprise here. If Ridder can pull off any kind of quick game and get the ball to their weapons they could be good. 

Bijan is league ready and can line up anywhere

Their Rookie RB last year ran for 1200 yds

Two 6'5" receivers in Drake and Pitts 

Plus CP84 to do whatever he does

It is similar to the 49ers with 5 legit weapons (maybe a LITE version of SF) but that system doesn't need a dynamo QB, ATL could be really good with Ridder as their Jimmy G

But it won't be cuz of Pace, ha

A lot of SF’s magic is their defense. Sure, they have an arsenal of talent on offense. But without that defense you’re going nowhere.  ATL had a bottom tier defense last year and didn’t do a ton to drastically improve that. Ridder likely won’t do much. The falcons offense will likely feel like the Kyle Orton Bears. A less than mid qb, star upcoming rb, underachieving TE (because lame qb), good run blocking. They do have Drake London too but how much does it matter if your qb can’t spread the field. The depth behind him also plummets. I like Mack Hollins as a 4, as a 2, idk. Scotty Miller hasn’t really shown much. Ultimately though, defense and qb ability make them a loser in the division. My impression from their draft and off-season was that they’re hoping to stay in the top 5 range for a better shot at a qb next year. 

JiayxLR.jpg

Unless it’s a forced perspective, this picture is unbelievable. He’s not so short that he’s looking at the back of their heads, he’s so short that he’s in line with their upper torsos. That’s incomprehensible for a qb. I’m actually really excited to see how he fares. Some scouts say the height doesn’t matter since his football IQ is so off the charts he will know where his receivers are despite being out of sight and his ball trajectory makes bat downs less likely. 

12 hours ago, Ty21 said:

JiayxLR.jpg

Unless it’s a forced perspective, this picture is unbelievable. He’s not so short that he’s looking at the back of their heads, he’s so short that he’s in line with their upper torsos. That’s incomprehensible for a qb. I’m actually really excited to see how he fares. Some scouts say the height doesn’t matter since his football IQ is so off the charts he will know where his receivers are despite being out of sight and his ball trajectory makes bat downs less likely. 

His AL linemen were big too, but they said that about Baker as well and to me he clearly had vision problems at times when in pocket.  

Short QBs  have to move to see at times when they are within 3-4 yards of line of scrimmage.  You can’t just blindly throw.   

My larger worry is just physics.  It hurts when a huge dude hits you and every DL is going to have a 100 LBs on him.  Tua got tossed around with extra violence because it is easy to toss him and that contributed to his concussions.  

People say big QBs get hurt too, some say more.  That is more from bad bends or strikes at joints and hard or awkward landings.  Still injuries. 

I think Favre had right of it.  Don’t be a statue in pocket. Plant a stick in ground and it is easy to snap.  If it is moving and you  strike it, it doesn’t break very easy.   He was always moving backwards or away from hits as he threw.   Took a lot of power out of them. 

Edited by dll2000
Typo
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 12:14 AM, Epyon said:

We have the largest "rest" differential in the entire league this year (we get more rest time between games over the season than our opponents), and are the only team that has 0 games scheduled where we would have gotten less rest than our opponent going into it.

Be really interesting to see how big of a factor that is for overall roster health this year.

Super super interesting twitter thread that covers a lot of concerns with the schedule for the entire league.  KC and San Fran have a really brutal slate of games.

That disparity is wild. Great share. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 12:19 AM, Epyon said:

As for the Young/Dalton Carolina thing..... A big factor in my mind is that Carolina wasn't actually the #1 draft pick, they where the #9 pick.  That changes the calculus a bit when trying to decide whether to start a rookie....because you aren't necessarily throwing him to the wolves behind a bunch of bums like often happens when a QB is taken #1 overall.  IMO if he is even close to Dalton's level by mid training camp, I'd just let him start the season.

To me, to do anything other than to prepare the guy you drafted to be your starter for the next 15 years to be the starter ASAP is a complete disservice to the player and the team. Even if BY doesn’t start week 1, he should get every rep possible to prepare him to start. He should get QB1 reps in minicamp and in training camp, and unless he shows he’s clearly not ready, into the preseason games too. Any starter reps wasted on a placeholder like Dalton are lost opportunities. You bring in a Dalton when you’re taking a 1st round QB because he’s basically a plug and play adequate stop gap / place holder. He doesn’t need 85% of the starter reps in the offseason to be that for you, especially with a whole offseason to learn the playbook. 

This whole train of thought sounds like something we’ve all talked about not too long ago, no?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Given the price they paid to move up for Young, I can’t see them rushing him in. They have a lot to lose in squandering their investment early. I don’t trust his frame to withstand the hits he was able to avoid in college, don’t know if it’s logical to throw him into an offense with all new pieces and no identity. One of his best characteristics is his mental game, so it’s hard to tell just how much a loss of confidence could negatively affect him like it did for Wilson or Trubisky. If I’m the panthers, when I say I intend to start Dalton to start, I’m not bluffing. Giving him starts this year I think would help, but making him #1 before he or the offense for that matter look ready could be dangerous. 

I’m not saying rush him in - there’s a difference between preparing him to start and actually starting him. Also, I think if they were as worried about his frame as fans seem to be they wouldn’t have taken him. I don’t think you take a guy 1st overall if you don’t think he can physically hold up to NFL football. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ty21 said:

JiayxLR.jpg

Just throw 50TDs .... and wait for the big contract.... everybody else can cry lolz ahahahaha🤣