2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Nobody is calling for Mahomes' head because he's 28 and has won 2 Super Bowl MVP's

This is true. 

I would also agree with others that Mooney is not nearly as good this year as he has been in past.  I think his injury, reshaping his body and his change in role all affected him to negative.  

For this reason I would actually like to resign Mooney at a bargain price.  I think he can be a better player than what he has shown this season. 

That being said, some of Mooney's lack of production is also due to Fields play.  

As far as team around Fields - there is no question it is best it has been.  

Oline is still flawed as virtually all NFL Olines are or the vast majority are currently, but leaps and bounds better from travesty it was.  

Moore is a difference maker.

While Mooney is worse - Kmet is way better player this year in blocking, catching and route running.  

Defense is way better all the way around.

Fields issues are his own.  He didn't improve on what he needed to improve on.  Granted he didn't have a lot of time.  Basically just this season after two disastrous situations.  I think his failure is mostly an institutional failure. 

I also stated many times.  There is a good chance Fields becomes a great player.

He has all the tools.  He is smart.  He is driven.  His coaching has been bad.  His situation has been mostly bad.

But unfortunately the clock is what it is.  

You have to choose now between picking up Field's 5th year option and trading pick or taking Caleb and Maye on a rookie deal and trading Fields.

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

I also stated many times.  There is a good chance Fields becomes a great player.

He has all the tools.  He is smart.  He is driven.  His coaching has been bad.  His situation has been mostly bad.

But unfortunately the clock is what it is.  

You have to choose now between picking up Field's 5th year option and trading pick or taking Caleb and Maye on a rookie deal and trading Fields.

It's kind of like two girls like you and they are good friends with each other.  You meet them at same time.

They are both interested in you and you find them both really pretty and they both have qualities you would want in a girlfriend and maybe a wife later.   

You know a little bit more about one of them and there are some things you really like, but some things you don't.  

You can't date both (unless you are a Richard).   When you date one you will lose the option of the other.

The other could have been the one and there really wasn't enough time to decide.   

It is a tough situation.

• Like 1

T Lawrence ruled out for Jags vs panthers. 

Gonna be hilarious if after all the fighting on the board here, panthers win out and we draft 2nd.

Edit:  was already posted in other thread. Discuss there. 

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

T Lawrence ruled out for Jags vs panthers. 

Gonna be hilarious if after all the fighting on the board here, panthers win out and we draft 2nd.

Edit:  was already posted in other thread. Discuss there. 

Honestly I wouldn't even be mad if that happens because then I wouldn't have to read the debates between taking Caleb or keeping Fields every single day between end of the season and the draft.

It's a good problem to have but man I'm already kind of annoyed with this whole debate

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Honestly I wouldn't even be mad if that happens because then I wouldn't have to read the debates between taking Caleb or keeping Fields every single day between end of the season and the draft.

It's a good problem to have but man I'm already kind of annoyed with this whole debate

As much as I've been involved, I agree

It's out of our hands and there's good ideas behind both sides

45 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The discussion then turns to both firsts to get back up to pick 1 for Caleb, Drafting Maye at 2, Drafting MHJ, or trading down for the haul.

This fight just getting started unless Carolina ends up picking like 4th, and even then you have the both firsts to move up scenario.

37 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The discussion then turns to both firsts to get back up to pick 1 for Caleb, Drafting Maye at 2, Drafting MHJ, or trading down for the haul.

This fight just getting started unless Carolina ends up picking like 4th, and even then you have the both firsts to move up scenario.

I know it’s not a guarantee, and there’s many variables, but I’d bet that we’ll have a pretty good idea as to if they’re planning on keeping fields or not a little over a week from now.  If they fire Flus in the days after the packers game, Fields is likely gone.  If not, he’s likely back.  Granted, the Bears have a nice streak of straddling a lame duck coach with a new rookie QB, but i want to give apples/warren the benefit of the doubt (I’m ready to get hurt again).  But again, lots of variables still at play.

For me, I’m really on the fence.  I see arguments both ways for keeping fields or drafting Williams.  I just want them to get it right.  It’s exhausting.  However, i do not want them to trade up.  Either take Williams and get him another playmaker with the other frp or trade 1.1 for a haul and surround fields with one of the best supporting casts in all of football.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

However, i do not want them to trade up.  Either take Williams and get him another playmaker with the other frp or trade 1.1 for a haul and surround fields with one of the best supporting casts in all of football.

Yeah it'd hurt for sure...

But where I'm at is that Fields is a bust..... So you'd either trade up now when it's "cheap" or you trade up in 1-3 wasted years when people realize Fields sucks, but now you're trading 3+ picks to move up from ~15 and completely wrecking your future right as all the big contracts start expiring.

This is the optimal window to move on, imo..... Though the evalatuation that at least one QB out of this draft is a hit also has too be there for that to happen.

• Like 1