2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

Can someone explain it to me again why exactly teams would fall over themselves to hire Belichick at this point? His record since Brady left is 22-31, he hasn’t shown any ability in the past who knows how long to evaluate offensive talent, his coordinator choices have been abysmal for a long time, and he’s 72 years old. After how the post-Brady era has gone, why would you trust him to oversee a rebuild, especially if he is going to ask for personnel control? How long would you expect him to stick around anyway? Is he just doing so to get 16 more wins to pass Shula?

He’s a legend, but if we were in the HC market he’d be pretty far down the list for me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Can someone explain it to me again why exactly teams would fall over themselves to hire Belichick at this point? His record since Brady left is 22-31, he hasn’t shown any ability in the past who knows how long to evaluate offensive talent, his coordinator choices have been abysmal for a long time, and he’s 72 years old. After how the post-Brady era has gone, why would you trust him to oversee a rebuild, especially if he is going to ask for personnel control? How long would you expect him to stick around anyway? Is he just doing so to get 16 more wins to pass Shula?

He’s a legend, but if we were in the HC market he’d be pretty far down the list for me. 

No, because they shouldn't. Outside of LAC I don't see why someone would REALLY want him. If he can leave the offense alone he is still a fantastic defensive mind. But he is a crappy GM really. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Because old billionaires aren't always the smartest people...

I can see Arthur Blank falling over himself to hire BB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

They won’t.  He will likely retire or be a consultant or do some media stuff.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Cunningham is a finalist for the job in Washington with Adam Peters from San Fran

Look at how swiftly Harris is working to do whatever it takes to get his guy and get Washington back as a winner

I can't wait until the morons here sell

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Cunningham is a finalist for the job in Washington with Adam Peters from San Fran

Was ready how close Adam Peters and Mike Vrabel reportedly are...have to wonder if those guys want to team up in NE and that leaves the door wide open for Cunningham to take the Washington job...that then creates a real predicament for Poles due to the fact surely Cunningham knows what way he is swaying with Fields/Caleb

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Was ready how close Adam Peters and Mike Vrabel reportedly are...have to wonder if those guys want to team up in NE and that leaves the door wide open for Cunningham to take the Washington job...that then creates a real predicament for Poles due to the fact surely Cunningham knows what way he is swaying with Fields/Caleb

Apparently the Peters connection to NE is major

16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

They actually have a pretty unique situation regarding their intentions being known by other teams, as it sounds like they're losing several front office people, possibly to teams that will gain an advantage by knowing the Bears plans or leanings at QB, as well as having to interview offensive coach personnel around the league who are probably going to want to know what the plan is at QB as well.

Genuingely interesting situation for Poles on both fronts. Do you freeze out Cunningham on the QB discussion?  Do you tell OC candidates that they don't get to know who the QB is or do you promise they'll get a significant say?  I think you have to offer some control on the latter, and former is difficult or too little too late if you've got your mind mostly made up. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

They actually have a pretty unique situation regarding their intentions being known by other teams, as it sounds like they're losing several front office people, possibly to teams that will gain an advantage by knowing the Bears plans or leanings at QB, as well as having to interview offensive coach personnel around the league who are probably going to want to know what the plan is at QB as well.

Genuingely interesting situation for Poles on both fronts. Do you freeze out Cunningham on the QB discussion?  Do you tell OC candidates that they don't get to know who the QB is or do you promise they'll get a significant say?  I think you have to offer some control on the latter, and former is difficult or too little too late if you've got your mind mostly made up. 

That’s a great point, and I wonder how much of the “I haven’t decided anything yet” is on the chance that Cunningham COULD end up as GM for either a team looking to get to 1 or potentially interested in trading for Fields.

33 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s a great point, and I wonder how much of the “I haven’t decided anything yet” is on the chance that Cunningham COULD end up as GM for either a team looking to get to 1 or potentially interested in trading for Fields.

Which is why I hope Cunningham ends up in Washington if its anywhere this year. Because then all he is really bidding against is fending off other offers (which he wont know as much about). 

If we are moving on from JF, and taking a QB, its going to be at #1, there really isnt a debate there. So it doesnt really matter what the offers are. Which is why I feel like if we even listen to offers for #1, it means we want to continue with Justin for now.

33 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We'll never know how much any of that affects things, but if they somehow get a weirdly low haul in any kind of trade it might be part of the reason.  Like say Getsy goes to the Patriots, and knows that Eberflus secretly hates Fields, and Cunningham goes to Commanders and knows Poles really wants Maye, and both teams plan accordingly.  All hypothetical but interesting.   

Had an interesting situation happen recently that drives home the point of how far a little info can go.  A manufacturer in my industry was going out of business and everyone knew it.  A guy with a business like mine chatted up a soon-to-be-unemployed guy and offered him a couple hundred bucks to move some files around before everything went up for auction at the bankruptcy sale.    There was a big palette of file cabinets all titled "intellectual property" which no one really wanted because it was all so out of date, but the files moved were leases for machines in shops across the country.  Dude buys the palette for firewood money, and then starts collecting on all these leases to fairly lucrative terms, either charging peiople or repo'ing the machinery.  A friend that did the math said this might be the easiest way to get a 20,000% return on investment you can make, even if it's gray legal at best.  You never know what knowing the right person or hearing the right thing can do. 

• Like 1