2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

20 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Personally, I’d like to see the franchise tag go away entirely with the next CBA

the problem is is that it's a negotiating tool that the NFLPA is more than happy to give the team/leagues in return for something they want because it affects such a small amount of players every year. if allowing teams to keep using the tag allows the players as a whole gain an extra $300M (or whatever number from revenue splits comes from it) and that money gets dispersed to every player, then they'll keep the tag forever

On 7/25/2023 at 2:41 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Personally, I’d like to see the franchise tag go away entirely with the next CBA. In alternate, I’d be fine with it sticking around but with significant changes to its use intended to minimize its application (and, frankly, abuse). Some suggestions I’d make:

-Tagged player salary is equal to the top paid player (AAV) at the position at the time of the long term extension deadline expiration (7/15) instead of an average of the top 5 the prior season at their position.

-1 time use restriction per player per franchise.

-Use of the tag in back-to-back seasons results in forfeiture of a 2nd round pick that offseason’s draft. Use in a third consecutive season results in forfeiture of a 1st round pick (as would any additional consecutive years).

Players still wouldn’t like the tag, but will be more inclined to play on it as the absolute top paid player at their position that season with the knowledge they can’t get tagged again the next season. The best of the best will still get tagged, but far fewer of that next tier of guys would be, and if they were there will be way more incentive from teams to work out long term deals with them. Applying my proposed changes to this years’ free agent class, I’m not sure any of the tagged players outside of Lamar would’ve been tagged.

-Tagging Tony Pollard would’ve cost DAL their 2nd round pick (tagged Schultz in 2022)

-Tagging Engram would’ve cost JAX their 1st round pick (tagged Robinson in 2021 and 2022)

-Tagging Barkley would’ve prevented NYG from tagging Dexter Lawrence or Leonard Williams in 2024 without draft pick compensation (Lawrence has since signed an extension but he would’ve had far more leverage in that negotiation if NYG’s 2024 franchise tag was costlier to apply)

Getting rid of tag would take an act of congress or congressional pressure.  

NFL wins every CBA because players can’t afford to out wait them.  

I think salary wise players would be better off decertifying the Union and getting rid of monopoly protections NFL enjoys.  

I believe NFL would likely suffer as a product if that happened in long run and there would be less money for players in that event after a time.

System allows NFL to prosper and be popular because they can artificially create parody.  No easy answers. 

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Getting rid of tag would take an act of congress or congressional pressure.  

NFL wins every CBA because players can’t afford to out wait them.  

I think salary wise players would be better off decertifying the Union and getting rid of monopoly protections NFL enjoys.  

I believe NFL would likely suffer as a product if that happened in long run and there would be less money for players in that event after a time.

System allows NFL to prosper and be popular because they can artificially create parody.  No easy answers. 

I agree with all of this. All the more reason for the players to push for a reformation of the franchise tag rules rather than a complete removal of the tag as an option.

That’s probably the best compromise solution there anyway - players likely get more long term deals while teams still have an overpowered control to assert to keep their top guys. My proposed changes only make it a little more palatable for the players. The way it’s used right now limits the ability for struggling teams to get better, and the league is always pushing for parody.

With that said, had our team had more justifiable use for the franchise tag in recent history maybe my perspective on it would be a bit different. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Addition by subtraction. Dude has so much talent and physical gifts for a NT and just seems to lack heart.

I don't think we should write the dude completely off without knowing the complete story. At the risk of opening up too much on an anonymous online forum, I personally struggle with mental health issues on a daily basis including anxiety and depression. It greatly affects my quality of life and productivity as my anxiety also aggravates some digestive issues I deal with. There are days where I do not have the mental strength to accomplish anything.

I'm doing my best to work through things, and compared to others I cannot complain and I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything. Just wanted to drop in and say that the article states he is dealing with a personal issue and may not return to the team. If he's dealing with mental health issues, I can totally understand why he wouldn't want to or even couldn't play professional football. If your brain isn't right, it really messes with your life and things just snowball. As we saw with Calvin Ridley taking a mental health break, pro athletes are humans too who deal with the same problems as us laypeople. I hope for the best for the dude and hope that whatever it is he's dealing with can get resolved so he can pursue the life that he wants to live.

Edited by chisoxguy7
effects to affects
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I don't think we should write the dude completely off without knowing the complete story. At the risk of opening up too much on an anonymous online forum, I personally struggle with mental health issues on a daily basis including anxiety and depression. It greatly affects my quality of life and productivity as my anxiety also aggravates some digestive issues I deal with. There are days where I do not have the mental strength to accomplish anything.

I'm doing my best to work through things, and compared to others I cannot complain and I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything. Just wanted to drop in and say that the article states he is dealing with a personal issue and may not return to the team. If he's dealing with mental health issues, I can totally understand why he wouldn't want to or even couldn't play professional football. If your brain isn't right, it really messes with your life and things just snowball. As we saw with Calvin Ridley taking a mental health break, pro athletes are humans too who deal with the same problems as us laypeople. I hope for the best for the dude and hope that whatever it is he's dealing with can get resolved so he can pursue the life that he wants to live.

❤️ u csg

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

BTW I am over Bears not drafting Pickens.

Just saying guy makes some crazy catches.  

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

BTW I am over Bears not drafting Pickens.

Just saying guy makes some crazy catches.  

I'm happy with Brisker but I was all on the Pickens train. Him and Pierce.

I think Pickens is going to be really good. I also think Brisker's floor is likely Adrian Amos. Both those things can be true.

But what we have seen from Pickens already in his 1 season is he is a little bit of a diva, which people knew going into the draft. We saw this draft with passing on Carter that Poles is looking for his clubhouse/culture guys and wont bring in someone who he things is going to mess that up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I think Pickens is going to be really good. I also think Brisker's floor is likely Adrian Amos. Both those things can be true.

But what we have seen from Pickens already in his 1 season is he is a little bit of a diva, which people knew going into the draft. We saw this draft with passing on Carter that Poles is looking for his clubhouse/culture guys and wont bring in someone who he things is going to mess that up

Pickens’ issue was never his talent. It was always attitude related stuff. Pickens was 100% my guy last draft and I was disappointed he wasn’t our guy.

With that, moving forward to now, if we had drafted Pickens there’s a strong chance we don’t trade for Claypool, but then we also probably win more games last year, don’t get the #1 pick and as such don’t get the same asset windfall we got from trading down from 1 to 9, likely don’t add a 1 in 2024 or 2 in 2025, and probably don’t get DJ Moore (who I think is as talented if not more talented as Pickens but lacks the attitude concerns). So are the Bears better overall today and moving forward if they drafted Pickens last year? I think that’s TBD over the next few years.

Also, before anyone gets too far ahead of themselves with Pickens, consider the following:

Rookie George Pickens: 52/801/4

Rookie Chase Claypool: 62/873/9

Pickens was really solid as a rookie who made a bunch of impact plays. But, so was Claypool. Most here were pissed after year 1 that we didn’t take 2020 draft cycle favorite Claypool too (took Kmet instead). Let’s see where it goes from here.

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

Pickens is a bit of a gimmick receiver, better and worse than Brandon Lloyd. He has a very basic route tree. Watch his highlights. Even the training camp highlight. He’s just running a fly route every single time and Pickett throws it up. His circus catch ability is undeniable. His tendency to be a diva is just going to get worse. As long as Brisker stays healthy through his career, I’ll never regret taking him. Gordon, on the other hand, should’ve been Pickens 😅