2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

The TN fans say Vrabel was overrated as a coach and shouldn't be credited with overachieving years as much as ACs.

He doesn't know Xs and Os that great.

I am not sure how they would know that, but that is what they say.  It seems league kind of agrees with them.  At least for now.

It's a results based league. I never saw much difference between Mike Vrabel and Dan Campbell. Campbell was given a little more to work with and has produced more. Vrabel was given less and now he's out of a job. Don't get me wrong, who you hire matters but so does having the right players in place. I have little doubt that if you put Marc Trestman at the helm of the Tom Brady Patriots, probably not much would change. It's just the nature of things. If you hit big enough on a certain part of your roster building, it can cover up a lot of warts elsewhere.

I think it's an apt parallel for where the Bears are right now. Justin Fields might not be a guy that can cover up a lot of warts, but that doesn't mean he can't be a competent QB worthy of building a team around.

Edited by chisoxguy7

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

If you really want to point to where things started going downhill for the Titans, it was trading AJ Brown and expecting Treylon Burks to be the same guy. They've been struggling ever since.

giving a mediocre QB a big contract so they could then not afford AJ...

giants then did it with Jones, let's see how that works out

another reason i'm on the CW side

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Do people hate Greg Olsen calling games? He seems fine to me.  

He's been my favorite for a while.

Romo came in and gave more football insights during preplay moments, showing he still was watching film and I loved that, but then he slowed down. I haven't gotten that at all from Olsen. If anything Romo might give more insights on pre-snap events but Olsen is MUCH better post-snap. Olsen is a better personality and doesn't have those empty statements as often. 

• Like 1

For obvious Bears reasons, I wonder how safe Tyler Lockett’s roster spot is in Seattle. They’re currently over the cap and likely have big contracts to give out to Leonard Williams (who they just traded a 2024 2 and 2025 5 for midseason) and Jordyn Brooks, and their new HC is a defensive-minded HC. They also have DK locked in and just drafted JSN to be the future at the position. SEA can create $17M in cap space by making Lockett a post-6/1 cut. He’ll be 32 this year but hasn’t really shown signs of slowing down yet, and as a short term veteran option for Williams he would make a ton of sense for us IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

They also have DK locked in and just drafted JSN to be the future at the position

They also Drafted D'Wayne Eskridge a few years ago to be that Lockett replacement eventually. He was hurt all year, so who knows how he plays into the plans also.

Lockett wasnt on my radar of potential cuts before the turnover in Seattle, but he sure is interesting now. 

(If they hit the full reset, they could just move on from Geno. Saving about $14m or $22m depending)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

They also Drafted D'Wayne Eskridge a few years ago to be that Lockett replacement eventually. He was hurt all year, so who knows how he plays into the plans also.

Lockett wasnt on my radar of potential cuts before the turnover in Seattle, but he sure is interesting now. 

(If they hit the full reset, they could just move on from Geno. Saving about $14m or $22m depending)

They seem more like a team that would take Nix/Penix in R2 than a full reset to me, especially if they end up hiring former UW OC Ryan Grubb as their OC as is the current hot rumor. They can clear over $32M in cap space by cutting Jamal Adams (seemingly a given) and Lockett as post-6/1, so given the state of the rest of their roster (not a full tear down IMO) that makes the most sense to me.

I liked Eskridge quite a bit coming out but he’s got 17 catches for 122 yards in 3 seasons at this point. Some of that is injury, but he just hasn’t done anything when he’s been healthy either. That seems like a complete whiff at this point. That’s Velus Jones tier stuff. 😒😒

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I liked Eskridge quite a bit coming out but he’s got 17 catches for 122 yards in 3 seasons at this point. Some of that is injury, but he just hasn’t done anything when he’s been healthy either. That seems like a complete whiff at this point. That’s Velus Jones tier stuff. 😒😒

Oh, I wasnt suggesting hes the guy we get for that spot, I was thinking that they may say to themselves, wthats what we drafted Eskridge for, so it hurts less to move on from Lockett

• Like 1