Trade Targets...

mwalker

I've heard opinions on a few. One that I did find very interesting was LB I.Simmons from AZ.
Last year of his contract. 5th year wasn't picked up. Haven't seen him play much to know what the
issue has been, but he's a freak of an athlete. Maybe worth a late round just see?

17 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I've heard opinions on a few. One that I did find very interesting was LB I.Simmons from AZ.
Last year of his contract. 5th year wasn't picked up. Haven't seen him play much to know what the
issue has been, but he's a freak of an athlete. Maybe worth a late round just see?

what would we offer ? If he can cover, then thats probably who they will target.   Do they trade a player or a pick and what pick?

59 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

what would we offer ? If he can cover, then thats probably who they will target.   Do they trade a player or a pick and what pick?

I'm not sure I know. Would they do it for Dotson? Would they do a conditional 6th? Dunno.

I read somewhere the price tag would be a day 3 pick. If that’s the case I think it’s worth a dart throw. Dotson and a 6th seems like it would be enough.

Problem is I legitimately don’t know what position he is. He’s currently listed as their NB on the official depth chart and is working with DBs at OTAs. He can cover and rush the passer but is pretty awful against the run so I don’t really like him as a full time ILB. Is he a safety? No idea. But he’s a great athlete and has a knack for finding the ball (2 INTs, 2 FFs and 4 sacks last year). 

We know how Tomlin feels about players you have to “suck” to have a chance at getting. Super versatile player who’s team never gave him a chance to succeed because they moved him around too much. If you squint you can see the Minkah comparison. I think I just talked myself into it.

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I read somewhere the price tag would be a day 3 pick. If that’s the case I think it’s worth a dart throw. Dotson and a 6th seems like it would be enough.

Problem is I legitimately don’t know what position he is. He’s currently listed as their NB on the official depth chart and is working with DBs at OTAs. He can cover and rush the passer but is pretty awful against the run so I don’t really like him as a full time ILB. Is he a safety? No idea. But he’s a great athlete and has a knack for finding the ball (2 INTs, 2 FFs and 4 sacks last year). 

We know how Tomlin feels about players you have to “suck” to have a chance at getting. Super versatile player who’s team never gave him a chance to succeed because they moved him around too much. If you squint you can see the Minkah comparison. I think I just talked myself into it.

his try out here for the prove it deal would be coverage ILB.  Of course, Neal might have that role too, people keep forgetting about him and this role.  Still, it's worth a try, because if they add Simmons, they should have range in coverage  for ILB if they want . It really would be a major overhaul if they let 3 ILB's go and got 3 new ones. 

I scraped the rosters looking for some nickel help, but I didn't really see any that stood out. Tough market out there for NCBs. 

Interesting names I have found:

- Josey Jewell, ILB DEN: Doesn't quite fit what we need at ILB, but good player and they just drafted his replacement. $5M in savings for them.

- Christian Kirksey, ILB HOU: Teams going nowhere and saves them $5.25M. 

- Kendall Fuller, CB/NCB WAS: Probably a decent name to look at to switch back to the inside. Saves WAS $8M on the cap and they just drafted 2 CBs in the draft. 

- Noah Igbinoghene, CB MIA: 5th year option declined, Ramesy brought in. Writing's on the wall. Decent sized athlete who can play nickel. Former first rounder. I like this option, personally. Take a flyer at least. Dudes only 23. 

- Nik Needham, NCB MIA: So they Dolphins just signed him to a one year contract again and I generally don't like included those guys on lists like this...but that was before they traded for Ramsey. MIA is a CB numbers game after bringing in Ramsey and drafting Cam Smith. 

Now, some fun ones:

- Mekhi Becton, RT NYJ: Specifying the RT spot specifically. Chuks is likely a cut candidate next year. Becton is huge and talented. Low, low risk flyer to get on your team and see what you have. We now have depth, so if it doesn't work it doesn't work. No harm no foul. But if it does.....

- Budda Baker, SS/NCB/Lots of things, AZ: Fire sale coming in the desert. I do not think this one would happen. But I just keep imagining us struggling at NCB and the big hoss Khan saying F' it, we are just going to be devastating everywhere else. 

• Like 2

Becton  would be good if he could stay on the field - which has been the problem

If we trade for Simmons, it could be worth a try.  Depth on OL and ILB in 1 offseaswon  with major overhauls is quite a feat Khan. I'll let the mitch signing slide 

13 hours ago, mwalker said:

I actually mentioned this at the trade deadline last year.  He is a Terrell Edmunds type of great athlete who is not in the ideal system for his skill set.  From the standpoint of age (24), athletic upside, and because of the lack of great production $$$.  Heck yeah.  I would be all over this.  I liked it then and love it now.  He would have a role being a coverage ILB and fill in SS or in-the-box safety type.  I don't know what Arizona would want or some other team that may try to outbid someone like the Steelers for his services.  Speed to burn and if for no other reasons than pass coverage and the ability to be a spy for a player like Lamarr and other speedy QBs.

tenor.gif?itemid=5370911

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

That would be awesome, but I would not be in a huge hurry to discard Dotson right now. Yes, we have Herbig, but he is a quality starter and you never know with injuries.  Having someone of Dontson's pedigree and ability is a plus.  I am all for giving away a potential pick between 4-7.  I love Simmon's abilities and upside, but I don't want to weaken a potential strength at OG depth.  

That's been the problem in AZ.  What would he be in Pittsburgh? Edmunds at ILB.  I think he has more natural football instincts and can cover slightly better one on one than Edmunds.  Putting him in at ILB to spy, drop in the middle zone, or potentially to cover a RB out of the backfield would be his strengths on our defense. 

It is ironic reading this as I was thinking that he can have potentially the same impact on our defense as Minkah (long term).   He certainly hasn't hit his peak or played anywhere near Minkah's level.  I am saying that like Minkah he has not been played in his position/ideal role.  And I am not looking at Simmons through Steeler Colored or Homer lens'.  He would be the type of value pick-up that could help solidify this defense for years to come and not break the bank.  

92f6e3a10521f1edeae717bcbcd44295--redd-f

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

That would be awesome, but I would not be in a huge hurry to discard Dotson right now. Yes, we have Herbig, but he is a quality starter and you never know with injuries.  Having someone of Dontson's pedigree and ability is a plus.  I am all for giving away a potential pick between 4-7.  I love Simmon's abilities and upside, but I don't want to weaken a potential strength at OG depth. 

Especially since Seumalo has missed a decent amount of time in his career. 

7 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

And I am not looking at Simmons through Steeler Colored or Homer lens'.  He would be the type of value pick-up that could help solidify this defense for years to come and not break the bank.  

if he has a good season, what type of deal will he commmand when he hits UFA? Some of the cap can be saved with some cuts or trades and to finally have ILB solved it would be great for a change

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

if he has a good season, what type of deal will he commmand when he hits UFA? Some of the cap can be saved with some cuts or trades and to finally have ILB solved it would be great for a change

Not sure what his market would be without seeing him play and in what capacity/role. If he is a part time role player, I can't see him commanding top dollar. This actually could be win win for both sides. As he improves and his role expands the potential for more $$$ would naturally come. 

3 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Not sure what his market would be without seeing him play and in what capacity/role. If he is a part time role player, I can't see him commanding top dollar. This actually could be win win for both sides. As he improves and his role expands the potential for more $$$ would naturally come. 

how does a player have limited role at ILB if they can cover? I thought in todays game that usually is whats required.  Much different than 20 years ago, but thats the nfl now.