Which head coaches are on the hot seat in 2023?

notthatbluestuff

Smith should be in a warm seat, at least.  As bad as the NFC South should be this year, if he can't get out a mediocre season, he'll definitely be close to being fired.  An abysmal season (like first overall pick bad) almost certainly gets him canned IMO.

Vrabel is likely in that territory as well if things don't look like they're turning around for the better.  From all accounts, the Titans are heading into the same injury-plagued roster situation as they were in the last two years.  That happens, and the roster will be hard pressed to churn out very many wins.  You can get a winning season from the Titans roster, even in rebuild, with just a little luck.  The running game will still be solid, and the defense should be good.  The passing game could be bottom of the league awful though, and a few key injuries could just make holes that are too big to win in spite of.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Well that's the complicating factor I think - the roster is bad because of Belichick.

Belichick the coach should absolutely not be in any firing discussion, but Belichick the GM should've been long gone. But obviously, firing one but not the other would likely be impossible. I don't think Kraft moving on would be an impossibility if the Patriots keep declining & he refuses to give up control of the front office (unlikely), although how much longer he's willing to give Belichick is uncertain. That said, I agree with the notion that any parting would be "mutual" or a "retirement".

Sure. As a GM, he's made some pretty awful decisions. You can hire a GM if you really want to. But there's a reason he's still in charge there despite less than great drafts. It's because he's the best NFL coach of all-time. Pretty much not up for debate. He isn't going anywhere and @DoleINGout is on drugs apparently. I'm guessing he's a psychotic Brady supporter that thinks all of the Patroits success is tied to him? Might be wrong, but that's the only way I think anyone could come to this insane conclusion.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

yet they have since 2019.

Their roster sucks dude. Mac Jones throwing to Jakobi Meyers and Kendrick Bourne was a recipe for success? That's not underachieving. I can't believe they won as many games as they did with the teams they had the past 2-3 years.

Blame Bill for the roster, but to say he's underachieved as a coach is absurd. That roster is dookie shoes.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Bill Belichick. Who's the greatest coach of all-time? Bill Belichick. Even if he deserves to get fired, he won't be.

That wasn’t your argument though - your argument was “the roster sucks, he’s overachieving.” If the roster sucks, it’s entirely his fault. Nobody’s arguing he’s in legitimate danger of getting fired but his seat is inarguably warmer than it was 3 years ago. 

“Whatever, he’s the greatest coach of all time” isn’t the best rebuttal. For what it’s worth, I agree that he’s the GOAT; but that doesn’t mean he should be immune from criticism or have unlimited passes for mediocre seasons. Bill himself would tell you you can’t live on past glories - at least, that’s what he liked to say when he had Brady.

15 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Nobody’s arguing he’s in legitimate danger of getting fired

Yeah, somebody is. That's what's ridiculous.

And he definitely deserves criticism for the roster. Those are "his guys" out there for sure. But they're a middling team now despite having quite a few holes. He is still an excellent coach and because of what he's done, he gets several mulligans. They aren't firing him. Criticize him all you want, that's fine and I wouldn't disagree. Firing is never going to happen, even if they are straight up bad for a few years.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah, somebody is. That's what's ridiculous.

Oh they are, are they?

17 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

belichick’s is getting warmer.

15 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

No. No it isn’t. 

You're arguing that his seat isn't getting warmer.  No one said he's in danger of getting fired yet, so you're either not reading, being obtuse, or moving the goalposts.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 8:25 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

Kyle Shanahan (49ers) - Lance can bust and it wouldn't even matter, provided Purdy continues to thrive in Shanny's system. Would you even doubt Shanahan's ability to get something out of Darnold? 49ers are perennial powers.

Lance did bust (at least for the 49ers) and Shanny's seat has never been cooler lol. My guess is that he's safe through 2026. He'll get 2 more years on this core which should be competitive. If the bottom drops out at that point and the team sucks, you figure he gets at least 2 years of badness before he's in a make or break year in 2027. 

Now, if the team isn't competitive the next two years that could be very different, but barring injury the roster talent should make them a good team for at least 23 and 24. 

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Sure. As a GM, he's made some pretty awful decisions. You can hire a GM if you really want to. But there's a reason he's still in charge there despite less than great drafts. It's because he's the best NFL coach of all-time. Pretty much not up for debate. He isn't going anywhere and @DoleINGout is on drugs apparently. I'm guessing he's a psychotic Brady supporter that thinks all of the Patroits success is tied to him? Might be wrong, but that's the only way I think anyone could come to this insane conclusion.

I'm not sure Belichick would allow for that. My instinct is that he would sooner resign or retire - which is ultimately how it would go down in any case.

That said, I do not think he goes anywhere anytime soon, ultimately.

16 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Dude, like, okay. You probably know better than me, I was just sharing my observations as an outsider lol.

Man, you must think Kyle Pitts just sucks, then?

That said, I will credit him for salvaging Cordarelle Patterson's career.

Pitts, London and Patterson were solid last year. But injuries to one or all of them hurt. So did Mariota’s league worst off-target passes. The minute Ridder got in the offense started working better, but by then, Pitts was hurt and Patterson was banged up. Adding Robinson, Jonnu and getting the most out of Allgeier leaves me to believe this offense this year will be better. Pitts is fantastic, btw. 

For what Arthur Smith had at WR last year (the #2 was Olamide Zaccheaus who was bad and the #3 was Khadarel Hodge who is now the #5 guy.), this crew with Hollins and Miller is way better. But even then, I don’t see a ton of targets their way with Robinson, Patterson and Jonnu/Pitts eating into the WR snaps. 

When you have a passer that literally misses Pitts wide by 15-20 yards on back to back passes in Mariota, it kills the offense. Should have started Ridder in the Bears game. 

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

Smith should be in a warm seat, at least.  As bad as the NFC South should be this year, if he can't get out a mediocre season, he'll definitely be close to being fired.  An abysmal season (like first overall pick bad) almost certainly gets him canned IMO.

Vrabel is likely in that territory as well if things don't look like they're turning around for the better.  From all accounts, the Titans are heading into the same injury-plagued roster situation as they were in the last two years.  That happens, and the roster will be hard pressed to churn out very many wins.  You can get a winning season from the Titans roster, even in rebuild, with just a little luck.  The running game will still be solid, and the defense should be good.  The passing game could be bottom of the league awful though, and a few key injuries could just make holes that are too big to win in spite of.

Unless they go liek 2-15, he’s sticking another year. And even then, it will depend on the situation for injuries.