Yankees, Marlins Agree to Giancarlo Stanton Trade, lulz Cards/Giants

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

What the hell do the Giants even have to offer?

Money mainly. I think they are willing to pay out more of the contract. 

Also a location that Stanton may say yes to along with a clear desire to obtain him

36 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I mean Ramos is a top 75 prospect and Shaw is MAYBE a top 100 prospect (probably not) but yeah... 

I like Ramos a lot but I mean, come on lol. 

Yeah this has to be primarily money considering the Cards deal is centered around Alcantra. I like Alcantra but... as the centerpiece?

Nah this is them trying to clear off some of the payroll because they took on almost $400M in debt with the team.

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I like Ramos a lot but I mean, come on lol. 

Yeah this has to be primarily money considering the Cards deal is centered around Alcantra. I like Alcantra but... as the centerpiece?

Nah this is them trying to clear off some of the payroll because they took on almost $400M in debt with the team.

100%

15 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Why would MLB approve the sale if they're selling off their top asset for pennies just to compensate for a lack of $$?

The franchise has been running in the red for years, they had to take on about $400M in consolidated debt with the purchase of the team. So they are trimming payroll as much as possible right now to get the franchise back into the black, pay off the debt, then begin anew.

11 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:
11 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Why would MLB approve the sale if they're selling off their top asset for pennies just to compensate for a lack of $$?

The franchise has been running in the red for years, they had to take on about $400M in consolidated debt with the purchase of the team. So they are trimming payroll as much as possible right now to get the franchise back into the black, pay off the debt, then begin anew.

This is only part of the answer. Normally, the debt the new Marlins ownership group had to take on would have dropped down to the purchase price. In this case it didn't because they knew they'd be able to trim expenses.

It's basically the MLB propping team valuation up at the expense of the Miami fanbase.

Archived