Saints Bring in Jon Gruden to install Offense

Trojan

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37735412/report-saints-bring-jon-gruden-help-install-offense

Pete Carmichael is still the OC, but Gruden was brought in to help install the offense and has returned to an NFL team in some capacity. Derek Carr has a few years experience with Gruden obviously, and both Dennis Allen and Gruden were Raiders HCs Carr had in his career thus far. Derek should adjust to New Orleans pretty smoothly if this all works out. Carmichael was understudy to Sean Payton for well over a decade, and Payton and Gruden have links to the 90s Eagles. This is an interesting mesh of philosophies that are linked in multiple ways.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 5

While the idea of bringing in familiar faces for Carr is/sounds like a good idea, you really have to wonder what dynamic that offense is going to have as far as coaches/playcallers go. Carmichael is the OC, but it’s Gruden’s offense? Carmichael’s calling plays? Gruden’s never been the type to be good with giving up control.

The title of the article is misleading at best. Gruden is probably there as an "advisor" to incorporate some of the concepts/things Carr does well and inform Carmichael what he does not and struggles with. 

Be absolutely shocked if Grudens offense is what the Saints are running in 2023. 

Basically the offensive version of what Vic Fangio did with the Eagles last season with/for Johnathan Gannon. 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 2:30 PM, Soko said:

Gruden’s never been the type to be good with giving up control.

Fortunately, Carmichael has been.

I think this a polite demotion for Carmichael, personally.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:58 PM, Nabbs4u said:

The title of the article is misleading at best. Gruden is probably there as an "advisor" to incorporate some of the concepts/things Carr does well and inform Carmichael what he does not and struggles with. 

Be absolutely shocked if Grudens offense is what the Saints are running in 2023. 

Basically the offensive version of what Vic Fangio did with the Eagles last season with/for Johnathan Gannon. 

Interesting… I feel like this is Carmichael’s final notice, or even a polite demotion like I alluded to earlier. Lots of fans wanted him fired early in the season and it didn’t get better.

2 hours ago, Dome said:

Interesting… I feel like this is Carmichael’s final notice, or even a polite demotion like I alluded to earlier. Lots of fans wanted him fired early in the season and it didn’t get better.

I figured he was the favorite to be HC once Payton called it quits.

Why did nobody ever go after him as a Head Coach?

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I figured he was the favorite to be HC once Payton called it quits.

Why did nobody ever go after him as a Head Coach?

He had plenty of interviews, never got a shot.

Maybe he was just doing interviews for the experience of both him and the interviewing staff. Maybe just for the hell of it.

But I think teams saw he wasn’t a leader. He’s a good offensive planner but he doesn’t take any risks and doesn’t have a strong personality.

Lots of teams have passed on the chance to hire him as HC. The Saints have had him in the building for almost two decades, so they’re well aware of his shortcomings.

Edited by Dome

It's good to make sure there's somebody to install offense.  You've gotta be sure that they're not gonna spider when they should've banana'd.

This whole Carr experiment is going to be fascinating to watch though.

On 5/28/2023 at 6:00 AM, MWil23 said:

Torn between making a Spider 2Y Banana joke or making sure someone monitors his e-mail joke.

Just don't give Jon an email account. 

Just open a word document and get someone to write what he needs to know on it. Have another one that he can write back on