Who's The Greatest Player of All Time?

mdonnelly21

173 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the a greatest player of all time?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice
    • Joe Montana
    • Don Hutson
    • Jim Brown
    • Otto Graham
    • Lawrence Taylor
    • Reggie White
    • Barry Sanders
    • Walter Payton

No Randy Moss? If you have Barry you have to have Moss as they were both more or less great for the same reason, freak athletic skills that made them transcendent players in football.

But does that make them the greatest football players? For me no, because one key aspect of football greatness is not playing outside of the team dynamic. This is where guys like Brady and Rice stand apart from others. 

Neither of these three guys fit the mold of what we consider to be the prototype physical specimen of their positions but they are the most successful where it counts. They are winners and also dominant statistical players because they produced at very high levels and did so over extensive careers while being ultimate team players. Both of these guys are famous for their preparation and work ethic individually and in developing cohesion with their teammates. Both are linked to all-time great coaches because they themselves were coachable and bought into the systems that they have become synonymous with. The same thing can't be said for the athletic freak type players like Sanders and Moss which is why neither have rings and both have some baggage when it comes to their place in history. Barry for example, clashed heavily when the Lions brought in Bobby Ross, who wanted to instill a more rigid xs and os system to the Lions that was a drastic difference compared to the overly loose Wayne Fontes. And well there's Randy "I play when I want" Moss. 

So, with this being said, I give a slight edge to Jerry Rice, mostly because Brady has played in the most QB friendly era in history. I also think the BB is a much more adaptable and resourceful coach than Walsh was. BB is one of the most studious football minds that I've ever seen. He has so many connections at every level of the game, is on top of every innovation,  in addition to being ready and willing to push the boundaries much more than most coaches in order to gain any type of advantage. The stability that he's been able to maintain on both sides of the ball is quite remarkable given how the NFL works. 

On 4/4/2018 at 6:26 PM, Huelon said:

With Hutson being mentioned that told us this was about eras.  All that you mentioned was taken into consideration. 

Even today many historians consider Jim Brown the greatest RB ever (actually a FB) obviously he wouldn't do what he did in his day vs today.  But, that simply doesn't matter, it's not about that, it's about dominance of era.

Don Hutson was having 70 catch seasons with the second best receiver having a 25 catch season, this is as dominant as it ever got.  We can't.....well he played way back when.. IF...we are going to be talking "all time".

With Hutson included it simply tells you it covers all eras. Not that dominance of era is the primary criteria.

Of course Hutson was three lengths ahead of the next horse. Most teams back then werent passing much. Most teams didnt even even split their ends wide (WIDE RECEIVER) like GB did with Hutson.

I am not going to give the guy a ton of credit for being statistically superior to guys that were being thrown to half as often in the absolute infancy of the passing game. Not when considering who is the GOAT. You can. I sure as hell aint. I am going to try and put the stats in perspective rather than ignore context entirely. The guy dominated the competition because there was no competition.

• 9 months later...

the debate was over 5 years ago.   brady put together 3 HOF career.   

HOFer from 01-07.   

HOFer from 09 to 14.  

HOFer from 15 -19 and counting

not only brady is the greatest football player of all time, i believe he is the greatest player in all of team sports.   it's an honor to watch brady.  

First of all, greatest of all time in all the sports just doesn't make sense. It's a comparison which media would like to debate to get good ratings but in reality, there are just a ton of factors to evaluate when you are comparing not just athletes across various eras, but also athletes across various sports.

If you still are looking for GOAT across all team sports, then Brady or any NFL player definitely isn't one. I don't think a player from a sport which is played mainly in 1 country in entire world is GOAT of all team sports. For me, it's a pretty easy answer. I haven't seen any player look so much better than 2nd best player in that sport like Messi does in soccer. Moreover, soccer is the most popular sport in world, played in basically almost every country in the world. So yeah, logically speaking, I am gonna go with the most dominant player in the most popular sport in the world. Also, Messi has been far more dominant in his own sport than Brady has been in NFL. Watching football, you always get the feeling like there are always 2-3 QBs each season who are at similar level as Brady or even better than him that season. But, it's just different with Messi. You watch him play, it's pretty clear that he is pretty much ahead of rest of his competition.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

He's not better than Gretzky. Definitely the GOAT of football though.

gretzky has nothing on brady IMO. 

IMO gretzky is behind brady and jordan.

contrary to belief greztky has his equals in orr and howe at least in many NHL diehards point of view.  

brady has no equal IMO.   

39 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

First of all, greatest of all time in all the sports just doesn't make sense. It's a comparison which media would like to debate to get good ratings but in reality, there are just a ton of factors to evaluate when you are comparing not just athletes across various eras, but also athletes across various sports.

If you still are looking for GOAT across all team sports, then Brady or any NFL player definitely isn't one. I don't think a player from a sport which is played mainly in 1 country in entire world is GOAT of all team sports. For me, it's a pretty easy answer. I haven't seen any player look so much better than 2nd best player in that sport like Messi does in soccer. Moreover, soccer is the most popular sport in world, played in basically almost every country in the world. So yeah, logically speaking, I am gonna go with the most dominant player in the most popular sport in the world. Also, Messi has been far more dominant in his own sport than Brady has been in NFL. Watching football, you always get the feeling like there are always 2-3 QBs each season who are at similar level as Brady or even better than him that season. But, it's just different with Messi. You watch him play, it's pretty clear that he is pretty much ahead of rest of his competition.

many believe ronaldo is better than messi.    i think both are equal peers.  they are brady/manning 10 years ago.  

brady stands alone in his sports.  nobody comes close. at least not anymore.    

4 minutes ago, Wolverine_Joe said:

many believe ronaldo is better than messi.    i think both are equal peers.  they are brady/manning 10 years ago.  

brady stands alone in his sports.  nobody comes close. at least not anymore.    

nah...except some diehard United, Ronaldo & Madrid fanboys....majority of them think Messi is better. Most of the people who follow soccer closely acknowledge Messi is better. Like I said, being the best in most popular sport in the world is much bigger achievement than being best in NFL. Moreover, there have been many seasons over the last 2 decades where Brady wasn't even the best QB in NFL. Messi individually has been best player for almost a decade. He had 1 down season(2013-14) over last decade & even in that season, he was probably the best(or even 2nd best) in the world. That's how dominant he has been.

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

nah...except some diehard United, Ronaldo & Madrid fanboys....majority of them think Messi is better. Most of the people who follow soccer closely acknowledge Messi is better. Like I said, being the best in most popular sport in the world is much bigger achievement than being best in NFL. Moreover, there have been many seasons over the last 2 decades where Brady wasn't even the best QB in NFL. Messi individually has been best player for almost a decade. He had 1 down season(2013-14) over last decade & even in that season, he was probably the best(or even 2nd best) in the world. That's how dominant he has been.

in this era, it's always been 1a/1b until ronaldo distanced himself from messi.     it's alot like brady/manning situation.  

and Messi isn't considered the GOAT. pele, og ronaldo, maradona, cristiano ronaldo is ahead of him.  If Messi won  a world cup or two?  now that debate makes sense.   it's not fair, but that's how it is in soccer. it's always been the world cup or bust.  that's why argentinians will never put messi ahead of maradona.  

and unlike any soccer player maybe except pele, brady has been crowned as undoubtly the GOAT of his sports.   no soccer player will ever come close to brady simply because there are so many leagues so many great players in the soccer and there simply will never be a consensus GOAT unlike NFL. 

59 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

At peak level, nobody beats Randy Moss, who is not on this poll. 

The 1998 Vikings and 2007 Patriots were Randy Moss. Period. That's what Randy Moss could do for you. 

no just no.  can't have WR as #1 especially he's not even the best WR.  moss is great, but pats has proven that you don't need an elite WR to win the SB.   

if this was about who has the most god given talent?  now that's a whole new debate and moss should be in the discussion.  but not the NFL goat.  moss wouldn't even make top 20 in my list. 

Archived