2023 NBA Finals: (1) Denver Nuggets vs (8) Miami Heat ||| Nuggets are Champs!!!

11sanchez11

That’s the kind of win that can make a grown man cry! The unsung defensive stoppers AG and Brown stepping up and turning into walking buckets to seal the win in a game where Jokic and Murray shot a combined 13/36. Different guys stepping up each night. That’s what this team has been about all year, and what Malone and the players have always preached. Just awesome to see it play out so clearly on the biggest stage.

Holding the lead (or may have even grown it by a couple points?) when Jokic had to sit for the phantom 5th foul might be most important sequence in series if they close this out…. 1 more. If the dynasty Warriors can blow a 3-1 lead, these Nuggets certainly can. Just gotta maintain that defensive intensity. End this on Monday. Don’t let these Heat get any life…

Side note, but what is with Duncan’s lack of minutes? Played more last night but good 4 minutes were borderline garbage time. At this point in the series it’s apparent the Heat can’t slow Nuggets down an appreciable amount. May as well just focus on maximizing the offense, and Duncan truly has a gravitational pull that opens their O up. Every minute they choose to play Strus over Duncan is a W for Denver in my mind.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

Bam has been interesting this series. Pretty stat lines but I’d argue Denver’s best defense is baiting him into shooting. Yeah he makes them pay sometimes, but not nearly enough. To make matters worse, since Bam is the one shooting and Heat 1-4 are undersized (+ Jokic is giving him the mid range and ready for the rebound), you probably won’t get 2nd chances off his attempts. So unless he’s gonna shoot 55% (currently 45%), him taking 20 shots a game is music to Denver’s ears.

However, his D was another level last night. Sticking to Murray like GLUE on switches. Impressive stuff, his talent level is crazy. If he wasn’t trying to do too much on O, he’d be Heats best player this series, but he’s wasting too many possessions and you cannot do that vs an offense like Denver’s.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I hope this playoff run kills all the "Jokic is terrible on defense, just run the PnR on him every time" talks. Analytics nerds won, they said he was actually a good defender and this run should prove it to anyone who had doubts. Sure, he's terrible on the perimeter trying to guard Steph Curry or whatever, what big isn't? And he's pretty slow which is obviously bad for defense. But he's strong in the post, he's got really fast hands (and legs) for deflections/kicked balls, great at ripping the ball, etc. He's not good at defense in the traditional rim protector way but he definitely has his own style he excels at.

Yup. It was always odd to me that you’d have people acknowledge him as an all time offensive player due in large part to his size (height and width), basketball IQ and court vision, while at the same time considering him fatally flawed on the defensive end. As if those same 3 qualities cant carry over to D. If he can correctly guess what you’re trying to do, the advantage of superior athleticism  is greatly reduced.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yup. It was always odd to me that you’d have people acknowledge him as an all time offensive player due in large part to his size (height and width), basketball IQ and court vision, while at the same time considering him fatally flawed on the defensive end. As if those same 3 qualities cant carry over to D. If he can correctly guess what you’re trying to do, the advantage of superior athleticism  is greatly reduced.

Jokic and the Nuggets have a low floor on defense because the level of focus and effort it takes to play their scheme with Jokic, but they’ve always been solid to good over the years when they have had to dial it in. We didn’t run into a Steph or Dame in the playoffs and had a nice matchup run for our defense to play really well. 

but yeah people are way too hard on Jokic’s defense. he does some really valuable stuff on that end and everyone is seeing it on the biggest stage. Miami under 100 three times this series? 2 at home? Yeah 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That’s the kind of win that can make a grown man cry! The unsung defensive stoppers AG and Brown stepping up and turning into walking buckets to seal the win in a game where Jokic and Murray shot a combined 13/36. Different guys stepping up each night. That’s what this team has been about all year, and what Malone and the players have always preached. Just awesome to see it play out so clearly on the biggest stage.

Holding the lead (or may have even grown it by a couple points?) when Jokic had to sit for the phantom 5th foul might be most important sequence in series if they close this out…. 1 more. If the dynasty Warriors can blow a 3-1 lead, these Nuggets certainly can. Just gotta maintain that defensive intensity. End this on Monday. Don’t let these Heat get any life…

Side note, but what is with Duncan’s lack of minutes? Played more last night but good 4 minutes were borderline garbage time. At this point in the series it’s apparent the Heat can’t slow Nuggets down an appreciable amount. May as well just focus on maximizing the offense, and Duncan truly has a gravitational pull that opens their O up. Every minute they choose to play Strus over Duncan is a W for Denver in my mind.

I was wondering the same thing until I saw Brown gets all of 4th quarter points by cooking him.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 3:10 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Bam has been interesting this series. Pretty stat lines but I’d argue Denver’s best defense is baiting him into shooting. Yeah he makes them pay sometimes, but not nearly enough. To make matters worse, since Bam is the one shooting and Heat 1-4 are undersized (+ Jokic is giving him the mid range and ready for the rebound), you probably won’t get 2nd chances off his attempts. So unless he’s gonna shoot 55% (currently 45%), him taking 20 shots a game is music to Denver’s ears.

However, his D was another level last night. Sticking to Murray like GLUE on switches. Impressive stuff, his talent level is crazy. If he wasn’t trying to do too much on O, he’d be Heats best player this series, but he’s wasting too many possessions and you cannot do that vs an offense like Denver’s.

Miami was trying to use him as a passer but Jokic and co were clogging up the lanes.. like you said, they are making him shoot, and for whatever reason he won't just steam train it to the bucket

But Denver hit half of their 3's and Miami only shot 32%. +/- 2 shots on either side and it's a coin flip game.. I will not count out the Heat, but 3 in a row vs this Denver squad seems near impossible right now 

Edited by adamq

11 hours ago, adamq said:

Miami was trying to use him as a passer but Jokic and co were clogging up the lanes.. like you said, they are making him shoot, and for whatever reason he won't just steam train it to the bucket

But Denver hit half of their 3's and Miami only shot 32%. +/- 2 shots on either side and it's a coin flip game.. I will not count out the Heat, but 3 in a row vs this Denver squad seems near impossible right now 

I'm counting them out