Running Back Committee, or Will There Be a Standout?

vike daddy

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a crime that Alexander Mattison was injured during his best game of the season. He was personally rolling and providing what Vikings fans had asked for all season long — somebody who could chip off 4-5 yards per carry. Let’s hope his injury is minor. Minnesota needs that version of Mattison in the final four games.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/vikings-at-raiders-2?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

With Alexander Mattison inactive on Saturday after his high ankle sprain on Sunday, it has all the makings of Ty Chandler making his first start against the Bengals on a shortened week. Chandler gives a semblance of hope to a run game that has been inconsistently good but mostly pedestrian this season.

With the Vikings starting their fourth quarterback of the year, this will be a team effort to get past a Cincinnati defense that has struggled but looked to find their stride against the Colts last week. The Bengals were second in rushing EPA/play in week 14. A tall task awaits Chandler, it’s time to see if he’s up for it.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-bengals-week-15-danielle-hunter-justin-jefferson-ty-chandler-nick-mullens/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0pmk65hHqt2i8R1tWjR-UBHa-XZ93skwkyOTyi9EjP3ZFU6Ax_JYiseQw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

With Alexander Mattison inactive on Saturday after his high ankle sprain on Sunday, it has all the makings of Ty Chandler making his first start against the Bengals on a shortened week. Chandler gives a semblance of hope to a run game that has been inconsistently good but mostly pedestrian this season.

With the Vikings starting their fourth quarterback of the year, this will be a team effort to get past a Cincinnati defense that has struggled but looked to find their stride against the Colts last week. The Bengals were second in rushing EPA/play in week 14. A tall task awaits Chandler, it’s time to see if he’s up for it.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-bengals-week-15-danielle-hunter-justin-jefferson-ty-chandler-nick-mullens/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0pmk65hHqt2i8R1tWjR-UBHa-XZ93skwkyOTyi9EjP3ZFU6Ax_JYiseQw

I think "inconsistently good" might be a bit too generous.

Without starter Mattison, head coach Kevin O’Connell will turn to Ty Chandler. The backup didn’t get much run at the beginning of the season, and his role almost entirely dipped with Cam Akers in the building. But after Akers suffered a season-ending injury, Chandler was again in the role of the change-of-pace runner.

In the last four games, Chandler rushed 41 times for 161 yards and a touchdown. He also caught eight passes for 47 yards. The 2022 fifth-rounder has the chance of a lifetime to prove to the decision-makers that he deserves the starting role in the final stretch of the season and a significant role in the future.

His athleticism is extremely intriguing; he must now take advantage of his opportunity. Chandler should have close to no competition in the upcoming game. The only other runner on the roster is Kene Nwangwu, the kick returner who has not had a significant impact on offense in his career. However, the Vikings will surely elevate either rookie DeWayne McBride or veteran Myles Gaskin from the practice squad to have some depth in case of injury.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/rare-opportunity?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy

Chandler didn’t just do well for a backup; he did well period. The sophomore had an outstanding game, rushing for 132 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries. He also caught three passes for 25 yards, proving to be a solid passing target out of the backfield. Chandler recorded the first 100-yard game of a Vikings runner all season, and it was the first since Week 10 of the previous season.

Not only does the average of 5.7 yards per carry look great on paper, but so do some highlight plays, including some explosives. Chandler showed fantastic burst and contact balance — and made multiple guys miss in the backfield, continuously falling forward.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/obvious-change?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 3

Chandler did what a lot of us thought he was capable of doing with a larger workload. How did he look in pass pro yesterday? That will be the big factor if he can usurp the starter's role from Mattison when he returns healthy.

For the record, I'd be starting Chandler moving forward and brining in Mattison as the spell back.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Chandler did what a lot of us thought he was capable of doing with a larger workload. How did he look in pass pro yesterday? That will be the big factor if he can usurp the starter's role from Mattison when he returns healthy.

For the record, I'd be starting Chandler moving forward and brining in Mattison as the spell back.

I agree. Also have to start looking towards next year too. Give him a 3 game audition. If he does well down the stretch, there goes the need for RB1. Chandler ran well and had a ton of burst, something we’ve lacked all year. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I do t think it really matters who the starter is. Neither should be bell cow backs.

Agreed.  Personally, I believe Chandler should be the one to set the table, Mattison (and hopefully McBride in the future) should be the one to win the game down the stretch. 

21 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I do t think it really matters who the starter is. Neither should be bell cow backs.

There really isn’t a need for one either. They need a a thumper to compliment Chandler who should get the bulk of the carries. Mattison just doesn’t run hard and has poor vision and burst. 

• Like 1