Ed Oliver signs 4 year/$68 million extension

Scoundrel

19 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

In that sense I’m OK with it. Still seems like an over pay on the surface. Conversely if they go and sign someone like Ngakoue or another vet DE with the money they’re likely saving, I’ll be happy about that.

This logic only works if he went back and did the same for every other DT's extension, and he did not. This happens every time someone wants to make a deal seem friendlier than it is. New money is what matters.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This logic only works if he went back and did the same for every other DT's extension, and he did not. This happens every time someone wants to make a deal seem friendlier than it is. New money is what matters.

I’ll see your logic and I’ll raise you a Melvin Ingram signing in Buffalo.

Anyway, structure is always king, but on the surface, not a fan of this one. Oliver strikes me as the kind of guy you want to be replacing with fresh blood via the draft if you're going to stay a top tier contender while giving the biggest of deals to the guys that really matter (I'm thinking Allen, Diggs, White, maybe Miller, for Buffalo.) I think they made an excellent move letting Edmunds walk, he's the same caliber of player to me, where like yeah they're good and they were high draft picks, but you need to go ahead and let worse teams outbid you on those ones, while replacing them with good drafting and coaching. That way you have money for the big guns, and to patch holes that you either can't fill through the draft or that don't work out through the draft. Though it might have forced this that they haven't really drafted a DT at all since Oliver. Need to prepare for those sorts of departures in advance.

And it's not like top, top money. But it's maybe 75%, 80%. But I don't feel like Oliver is going to give you 75% of the impact of Chris Jones or Jeffrey Simmons or Dexter Lawrence, so that still just feels like you aren't going to get what you paid for there.

I feel like the harder part of team building once you already have a good team is knowing the right guys to let go, and to me this feels like one of them.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Anyway, structure is always king, but on the surface, not a fan of this one. Oliver strikes me as the kind of guy you want to be replacing with fresh blood via the draft if you're going to stay a top tier contender while giving the biggest of deals to the guys that really matter (I'm thinking Allen, Diggs, White, maybe Miller, for Buffalo.) I think they made an excellent move letting Edmunds walk, he's the same caliber of player to me, where like yeah they're good and they were high draft picks, but you need to go ahead and let worse teams outbid you on those ones, while replacing them with good drafting and coaching. That way you have money for the big guns, and to patch holes that you either can't fill through the draft or that don't work out through the draft. Though it might have forced this that they haven't really drafted a DT at all since Oliver. Need to prepare for those sorts of departures in advance.

And it's not like top, top money. But it's maybe 75%, 80%. But I don't feel like Oliver is going to give you 75% of the impact of Chris Jones or Jeffrey Simmons or Dexter Lawrence, so that still just feels like you aren't going to get what you paid for there.

I feel like the harder part of team building once you already have a good team is knowing the right guys to let go, and to me this feels like one of them.

Objectively statistically he does though, he's top-10 in basically every meaningfully tracked metric. He's not what he was drafted to be, but he's a good player who does what he is asked to do very well.

12 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Objectively statistically he does though, he's top-10 in basically every meaningfully tracked metric. He's not what he was drafted to be, but he's a good player who does what he is asked to do very well.

Honest question, like what? Got any examples? PFF does not have him that high. He's not really a great pass rusher, so he's not top 10 for interior linemen in pressures or sacks or hits or any of that. PFR doesn't have a good way to filter to just interior guys, but Jones, Lawrence, Williams, Heyward, Buckner, Payne, Cox, Autry, Jarrett, Allen, Simmons, Hargrave, etc., all clear him for pass rushing production. If there are any worthwhile run stopping stats for IDL, I'm very much not aware of them.

And even if so, top 10 in stats does not mean top 10 in reality. The subjective consensus is pretty clearly not that Oliver is a top 10 interior guy.

• Like 1