2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

Starting to think about potential FA who will be released vs. those slated to be out of contract. After his goose egg today (obviously with a grain of salt given the temporary QB situation) I’m wondering if Randall Cobb might be available in FA this offseason. His deal is through next year with a $12.75M 2018 cap hit but if they decide to pay Adams they can’t realistically keep him given that Jordy also makes top money. They can release him and save $9.5M against the cap next year to use to keep Adams. As far as versatile slot options go he’d be a great get IMO. 

I'd make a serious run at Sammy Watkins. I get that he's a "healthier" Kevin White... but we need someone with legit juice on the outside and I think an added benefit is that he could help Kevin White learn some of the nuances of the game.

Since the Rams traded a 2nd round pick for the guy I'm assuming they're going to make him an offer.

This is an awesome breakdown of Sammy Watkins and he talks about how Cameron Meredith ranked highly in separation from DBs when working from the slot.

On top of Free Agents I'd be calling about trading for a few players who were UFAs after 2018. If we could extend them prior to the trade and the draft I'd call about (in order)

OBJ -  I'd go for a 1st if we could extend him long-term

Mike Evans - I'd go a 2nd and a 5th for him .

Brandin Cooks - I'd go for a 2nd

Kelvin Benjamin - I'd trade for a 4th and 6th.

There might not be any takers, but at least get your feelers out and try to get a legitimate number one for Trubisky. We can front load the contract to take advantage of Glennon being cut and Trubisky being at the beginning of his rookie deal. This is the time to make a deal.

48 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Josh Gordon anybody? Will be a free agent with something to prove. Doubt he'll want to return to Brown's.

Bears can sign him to a one year prove it deal ala Alshon Jeffery. 

I disagree re: him not wanting to go back to Cleveland. He put them through A LOT and they saw him through three years of personal hell and they still didn’t give up on him. For a guy in his situation that probably means everything. For someone who has (hopefully) turned that corner how do you walk away from them after they stuck around and gave you your shot at personal and professional redemption? 

Kiser (who likes the vertical passing game) if he’s their guy or a new franchise QB in likely either Darnell or Rosen might only help Cleveland’s cause, and Cleveland almost certainly can’t be outbid for his services. That’s where they get their return on that three year investment. 

14 hours ago, Sugashane said:

On top of Free Agents I'd be calling about trading for a few players who were UFAs after 2018. If we could extend them prior to the trade and the draft I'd call about (in order)

OBJ -  I'd go for a 1st if we could extend him long-term

Mike Evans - I'd go a 2nd and a 5th for him .

Brandin Cooks - I'd go for a 2nd

Kelvin Benjamin - I'd trade for a 4th and 6th.

There might not be any takers, but at least get your feelers out and try to get a legitimate number one for Trubisky. We can front load the contract to take advantage of Glennon being cut and Trubisky being at the beginning of his rookie deal. This is the time to make a deal.

I like this idea.  not OBJ too much money.  but Evans for a 2nd and 5th would be great or Benjamin.  

4 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

I like this idea.  not OBJ too much money.  but Evans for a 2nd and 5th would be great or Benjamin.  

I don't mind the money in our current situation. Lets say we give him $85 mil over 5 years, so $17 mil average. Sounds outrageous, but hear me out.  We can make it much better for us by using some expected  cuts to find his deal.

Cut Glennon this year and add his $11mil saves directly to OBJ, then in 2019 cut McPhee and take his $7.5 mil and do the same for that year.

Now he is making $28 mil the first year and $24.5 mil the second while we are flsuh with cap space, when we have the cap space with numerous cuts this year and next. That leaves only $32.5 mil for the last 3 years. So he would only count as something like 11.5/11/10 for his last 3 years, which is likely when we have to throw a monster deal at Trubisky. That gives us a top 3 WR for 5 years while Trubisky is developing and while we develop other WRs in a real system. We can let OBJ walk then or as he will be older he might not need as high a deal. Who knows? 

There's a lot of ways to do it too. Make it a 6 year deal and make the last year a high number, to bring the average down down the rest. Then they can be cut for nothing (guaranteed cash all used), trade their rights elsewhere, or renegotiate and extend him. 

OBJ

Pryor or Brown - they aren't  getting a monster deal

Meredith - RFA

Inman - Minor deal as well

Wright  - Same

Then add Shaheen, Howard, and Cohen and we have a HELL of a corps for him to work with. 

Granted OBJ might not even be available for out first, but just saying one monster deal shouldn't be avoided if it really makes a massive impact for Trubisky to reach his potential. That is the end goal for the team and what we will need for sustained success. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Can't see any way OBJ is made available.  That guy is one of the if not the best WRs in the league.  Giants would be idiotic to get rid of him, despite how much of a diva he is.

I dont think there is much of a chance either, but Pace still should call. Especially if  the new GM wants to get "his guys" in. Reese was stupid enough there was a sliver of a chance.

Archived