2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

Vea graded out as one of the best pass rushing DL of the past 2 years, in addition to being one of the top run stuffers.... His pass rush is honestly pretty heavily UNDERrated.

That being said, he's also not exactly Aaron Donald bursting upfield.

My board more or less changes every day, but currently, after our FA thus far:

1. Nelson-OG is by and away the #1 choice who might actually be there (and that's a very slim chance)

#2-6 is where I'm hitting a wall.... I think EDGE guys are now the critical team need... I'm just not sure they'll be the best players on the board.

By team need I'd have it

Landry-OLB > Ward-CB > Davenport-OLB > Edmunds-ILB(with OLB potential but I think is probably staying MLB) > Vea-DL

That said I really would need to get some interviews with all of the LB guys, because each has some flaws and particularly in Davenport and Edmund's cases, they are raw enough that you need to make sure they're actually capable of learning/adapting.

7 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

looking at the Bucs. They signed unrein and Vinny Curry. They have beefed up the front 7 meanwhile one of their starting safeties is chris conte. It’s almost looking like Chubb is going to fall to us 

I highly doubt he gets past the Colts at 6

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think your Niklas dream died when Sims money got guaranteed.

With the guarantees now in place Sims will stay...I suppose we do have plenty of cap but I would have preferred to see it spent elsewhere. 

15 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

Wow I’m in the minority here but Vea has about zero bust factor and he is plug and play. Guys that effect the trenches are always worth it in the end. Vea won’t be a sexy pick but Vea will shut down the run and force teams into predictable one dimensional offenses. 

Oh he is about as safe as possible IMO. I think he is a Ngata clone rather than Dontari Poe, he will be a dominant run stuffer, but remember most offenses aren't going to run, run, pass like Loggains did. I think a better value would be getting Tim Settle in the 2nd rather than Vea at 8 (reminds me of Goldman - stout but can play across the line too). Almost as dominant of a lane clogger, but you still get to go after the top EDGE, CB, or Nelson as well.

10 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Allen Hurns released. Should we overcompensate for 2017's WR group and hire him as well?  Get all the Allens from JAX?

100% go get him...defends against Meredith signing somewhere else or injury.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

100% go get him...defends against Meredith signing somewhere else or injury.

If getting him more likely assures we won’t match an offer sheet on Meredith (which it probably does) then I’d prefer we pass personally. Hurns will have better options for a non-rotational role elsewhere (AZ, SEA, BAL, CAR all immediately come to mind) so it’s likely a moot point anyway. 

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:12 AM, pigsooie5 said:

I highly doubt he gets past the Colts at 6

I am not buying all the draft experts pairing Chubb with the colts.  If Barkley is there the colts take him over Chubb.  They need to protect Luck more than getting sacks right now. 

52 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I am not buying all the draft experts pairing Chubb with the colts.  If Barkley is there the colts take him over Chubb.  They need to protect Luck more than getting sacks right now. 

I dont see Barkley making it that far.  Barkley probably goes 2 or 4.  

32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Cam Meredith took a FA visit to the Colts.

They are a legit threat to take him.

The whole thing with how Pace tagged Fuller was a mistake, but far from a major one. I did a full-on Spock eyebrow arch when I saw how they tagged Meredith, and if the Colts end up grabbing him, my opinion of Pace takes a nosedive. If Meredith goes, we're losing a player we can't afford to, for very little reason...

35 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Wait to see what offer he gets, but start communications with Allen Hurns in the meantime.

Losing Cam Meredith because the Bears saved 1 million on a RFA tender would really be a massive mistake by Pace. If he was not prepared to match any offer he should have given him the 2nd round tender.

Archived