2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If he was not prepared to match any offer he should have given him the 2nd round tender.

This is precisely why I think he WILL match any reasonable offer sheet. Meredith and his reps are not stupid - they have to know he’s a 2016 repeat away from $8-10M a year and $15M+ in guarantees too and in a favorable position here to do that, so I’d be pretty shocked to see him sign any kind of bridge deal type offer sheet that isn’t largely guaranteed. 

39 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is precisely why I think he WILL match any reasonable offer sheet. Meredith and his reps are not stupid - they have to know he’s a 2016 repeat away from $8-10M a year and $15M+ in guarantees too and in a favorable position here to do that, so I’d be pretty shocked to see him sign any kind of bridge deal type offer sheet that isn’t largely guaranteed. 

The only thing that worries me is how desperate the Colts are to do something and stop getting turned down.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but if he gets offered a nice deal I think we almost have to let him walk. We've got a lot of $$$ tied into Robinson, Burton and Gabriel. Not to mention a football that also needs to go to Howard, Cohen, Shaheen and White.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but if he gets offered a nice deal I think we almost have to let him walk. We've got a lot of $$$ tied into Robinson, Burton and Gabriel. Not to mention a football that also needs to go to Howard, Cohen, Shaheen and White.

White can high five guys on the sideline.

The money doesn’t bother me, the targets are there for everyone. Let’s not overthink having “too many” weapons.

I am just worried the Colts are going to try and make a splash with him. In which case saving the 1 million is a bad move. I think Cam wants to stay and will give the Bears a chance to match.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The money doesn’t bother me, the targets are there for everyone. Let’s not overthink having “too many” weapons.

I am just worried the Colts are going to try and make a splash with him. In which case saving the 1 million is a bad move. I think Cam wants to stay and will give the Bears a chance to match.

Can you make a splash with a dude coming off a torn ACL and partially torn MCL? Don't get me wrong, I really like the kid, but he our #3 WR right now, and in terms of targets likely would be #4 on this team. You can draft that dude in round 4 if you wound up losing him for more than we felt he was worth.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Can you make a splash with a dude coming off a torn ACL and partially torn MCL? Don't get me wrong, I really like the kid, but he our #3 WR right now, and in terms of targets likely would be #4 on this team. You can draft that dude in round 4 if you wound up losing him for more than we felt he was worth.

Meredith is better than that. He will be the 2nd most targeted player this season. Although I expect Cohen will be close.

The Colts are desperate they have been rejected by everyone.

4th round WRs often do nothing.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If getting him more likely assures we won’t match an offer sheet on Meredith (which it probably does) then I’d prefer we pass personally. Hurns will have better options for a non-rotational role elsewhere (AZ, SEA, BAL, CAR all immediately come to mind) so it’s likely a moot point anyway. 

I don't know...I think both are comparable players especially after Meredith's injury...whoever we can get the best deal from is the guy I would target.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The only thing that worries me is how desperate the Colts are to do something and stop getting turned down.

There are other teams out there that Pace should of been more weary off, as well. Big mistake not putting the higher tender on him. Hopefully it works out.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Exactly.

If he's even there, that is. 

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

There are other teams out there that Pace should of been more weary off, as well. Big mistake not putting the higher tender on him. Hopefully it works out.

Didn’t Pace earn the benefit of the doubt that there is a plan in place with the tender he assigns to a player after how he played Fuller? I suspect Meredith (and maybe Callahan) got the tag he did for the exact same reason Fuller did. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Didn’t Pace earn the benefit of the doubt that there is a plan in place with the tender he assigns to a player after how he played Fuller? I suspect Meredith (and maybe Callahan) got the tag he did for the exact same reason Fuller did. 

Well...no. He misplayed the Fuller situation somewhat. The Meredith situation considerably. There's really no reason to think Meredith won't have a great season next year. I do think there is clearly a plan in place though, and if the Colts sign Meredith I'm still far from ready to give up on Pace. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Well...no. He misplayed the Fuller situation somewhat. The Meredith situation considerably. There's really no reason to think Meredith won't have a great season next year. I do think there is clearly a plan in place though, and if the Colts sign Meredith I'm still far from ready to give up on Pace. 

Pace didn't misplay the Fuller situation at all...we saved money long term especially in guarantees.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Pace didn't misplay the Fuller situation at all...we saved money long term especially in guarantees.

Pace could have franchised Fuller. The new contract isn't particularly odious or anything, but the truth of the situation is that so far we have got one season of very good play out of him--in a contract year. He also missed an entire season with a very questionable injury. It's not at all out of the question that he regresses, or something...weird happens again. As far as saving money long term, there are a lot of variables in play there. I think that assertion is far from a given. 

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

According to overthecap.com we have $37,293,440 in cap space remaining.

We're perfectly positioned, which I like. A lot. I can't pretend otherwise. And the fact this off-season has gotten so unbelievably weird--with lots of moves that no one would have even guessed at a few months ago--gives me hope as to what Pace can accomplish yet. And maybe at least one front-loaded extension comes out of it. 

Nice cap management still doesn't mean I'm totally sold on Kyle Fuller being a stud cornerback, though...

Archived