2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm thinking they might be wrong... I feel like it should be closer to $25M.

Hmmm...you could well be right, as I know you've been following it closer than I have. Maybe their number is without Fuller? I dunno. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Hmmm...you could well be right, as I know you've been following it closer than I have. Maybe their number is without Fuller? I dunno. 

According to Spotrac Fuller’s cap number for 2018 is $6.5M, or just over half of what he was set to count against the cap under the transition tag ($12.9M).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/kyle-fuller-14423/

Had we franchise tagged him his salary this year would have been north of $15M and we still wouldn’t have found out his market value going into next offseason and almost certainly wouldn’t be able to tag him again. In all likelihood that would have meant Fuller elsewhere in 2019. The transition tag removed all those barriers to the ultimate goal of a long term deal that’s agreeable to both sides. 

4 minutes ago, ColGerBear said:

Fullers contract isn't exactly good, it isn't terrible either. Knowing the Bears would very likely match it was the best the Packers could've done in my opinion.

His contract is excellent for the Bears and not too bad for kyle.  It was a very poor effort from gb and was incredibly bone headed move on their part.  Pay no attn to the Bill Barnwell guy who seems to be a Packers homer trying to paint the picture that Pace effed this up.  Pace played it beautifully.

Meredith i would likely have placed the 2nd round tender on and he would have already signed the tender, but it seems like Pace is really determined this off season to let these guys go find out what their market is.  

5 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm thinking they might be wrong... I feel like it should be closer to $25M.

Facts dont care about your feelings.

By my math it was at $44M so im guessing the $37M is likely spot on.  I keep having to point this out.  For all intents and purposes we started the year with $86M in cap space.  Yes the reported number was $62M but as soon as the league year started we got back $14M from cutting Glennon and another $10M from cutting Cooper & Wheaton. Had we cut Sims before Friday we would have added another $6M so essentially we signed nearly everybody we wanted to and still have a boatload of capspace.  

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Pace could have franchised Fuller. The new contract isn't particularly odious or anything, but the truth of the situation is that so far we have got one season of very good play out of him--in a contract year. He also missed an entire season with a very questionable injury. It's not at all out of the question that he regresses, or something...weird happens again. As far as saving money long term, there are a lot of variables in play there. I think that assertion is far from a given. 

Yes he could have franchised Fuller...and then if he plays as well again next season you are paying him even more on his contract...sometimes you need to sign guys long term or you end losing your best talents...the franchise tag is kicking a problem down the road...ask the Redskins how that works out.

30 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

His contract is excellent for the Bears and not too bad for kyle.  It was a very poor effort from gb and was incredibly bone headed move on their part.  Pay no attn to the Bill Barnwell guy who seems to be a Packers homer trying to paint the picture that Pace effed this up.  Pace played it beautifully.

Meredith i would likely have placed the 2nd round tender on and he would have already signed the tender, but it seems like Pace is really determined this off season to let these guys go find out what their market is.  

Meh, the contract is structured in a way that you're "stuck with him" the first 2 years and pay him 29 million, if you cut him then you're still on the hook for 9 million. That means his cap number is low the first two years, which is nice but you're borrowing money from the future basically (in a year where everyone said we can/should front load contracts we got a huge backloaded one). 14.5 million per year for 2 years isn't cheap though. 14 per for 3 or 4 years isn't either.

23 minutes ago, ColGerBear said:

Meh, the contract is structured in a way that you're "stuck with him" the first 2 years and pay him 29 million, if you cut him then you're still on the hook for 9 million. That means his cap number is low the first two years, which is nice but you're borrowing money from the future basically (in a year where everyone said we can/should front load contracts we got a huge backloaded one). 14.5 million per year for 2 years isn't cheap though. 14 per for 3 or 4 years isn't either.

its actually not backloaded at all.  Nearly HALF of the full contract was paid at the time it was signed.  Its heavily front loaded.  But the cap hit is almost all bonus money in the first year.  His cap hit means that hes likely on the team for at least 2 years, but its not so prohibitive that it really means anything to the Bears who have over $120M in cap space in 2019 as well right now.  Its a market value contract with below market guarantees.  This is a huge win for the Bears. The only people who are against it are people who are against Fuller getting any long term deal.

Everyone who talks about back- or frontloaded deals talks about cap numbers. Every long term contract makes it practically impossible to cut the player prior to year 3 (except some deals like Revis back when he signed a 16m per year deal with no guarantees after his ACL iirc). Could have had the same guarantees with a smaller signing bonus but guaranteed first year and fully or partially guaranteed 2nd year. Would've made it easier in year 3 to cut him if he does not live up to a 14 million per year contract, which _again_ isn't cheap.

1 hour ago, ColGerBear said:

Everyone who talks about back- or frontloaded deals talks about cap numbers. Every long term contract makes it practically impossible to cut the player prior to year 3 (except some deals like Revis back when he signed a 16m per year deal with no guarantees after his ACL iirc). Could have had the same guarantees with a smaller signing bonus but guaranteed first year and fully or partially guaranteed 2nd year. Would've made it easier in year 3 to cut him if he does not live up to a 14 million per year contract, which _again_ isn't cheap.

So this idea of cheap is a big time misnomer.  In terms of guaranteed money and cap hit, this contract is around #11.  Thats pretty decent for a number 1 cb.  In terms of cash flow, who actually cares?  We are talking about billions of dollars in revenue.  The Bears could easily pay him the entirety of the contract without batting an eye.  We just saw several examples from the Bears just this past year.  And nobody cares bc the cap hits dont hurt us.  You are way too concerned about the $14M aav.  Its 4 years $56M.  Of that $56M $18M has already been paid out w/ another $2M due this year.  That is over 1/3rd of the contract.  That leaves him with $36M on 3 years or $12M aav which is significantly cheaper than the other #1 cbs in the league now, and even moreso by the end of the deal.  Its a very team friendly deal folks.

9 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

there are lots of fish in the sea.  If not Meredith than Hurns or a 2nd rounder or you bring back Inman or Mike Wallace and you still have Kevin White.

White is a poor gamble, Inman means you're basically signing a 5th option in the passing game, Wallace is older. Really only Hurns and Meredith interest me. 

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

there are lots of fish in the sea.  If not Meredith than Hurns or a 2nd rounder or you bring back Inman or Mike Wallace and you still have Kevin White.

The problem with a team that has many holes is losing someone for no reason is a waste.

A 2nd round WR? We are going to need a 2nd round OG or OLB 

Archived