2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Keeping Fox and signing Glennon killed us in free agency last season.

Both of those are on Pace.

I don't really agree about Glennon.  Pace had no way of knowing that Trubisky would be available at 2, or that he would even be ready for play in his first season.  We would have been running with Mark Sanchez instead, which I believe from a play standpoint would have been worse.  At least this way it showed that the Bears had QB options.

5 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I don't really agree about Glennon.  Pace had no way of knowing that Trubisky would be available at 2, or that he would even be ready for play in his first season.  We would have been running with Mark Sanchez instead, which I believe from a play standpoint would have been worse.  At least this way it showed that the Bears had QB options.

No one was coming here to play for Mike Glennon. More accurately, not having a real NFL QB killed them in free agency.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No one was coming here to play for Mike Glennon. More accurately, not having a real NFL QB killed them in free agency.

What was an alternate solution, other than trading for Jimmy G?  I think that he did the best he could with the cards that were dealt.  

45 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

What was an alternate solution, other than trading for Jimmy G?  I think that he did the best he could with the cards that were dealt.  

It was not an easy situation for Pace.

But the QB situation killed them in free agency. The coaching situation did not help either.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Yep! Pace made a very bad calculation on Glennon. Let's hope this year with Nagy and Mitch we can land some solid players. 

2 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Yep! Pace made a very bad calculation on Glennon. Let's hope this year with Nagy and Mitch we can land some solid players. 

Offensive coach, intriguing young QB, offense that makes guys look good.

We should present a much better option to offensive free agents at a minimum.

22 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I agree with the Glennon failure being on Pace,  but in hindsight it's always easy to criticize these decisions.   I recall at the time of his signing quite a few pundits were saying that it was a decent move by the Bears as a stopgap option while they looked for their QB of a future, so not sure how much more Pace could have done here to solidify the QB position here besides what he did in signing Glennon and drafting Trubisky.  

As for Fox, as I mentioned in my previous post, you can blame Pace all you want for not firing him last offseason but how do we know that he was given the green light to do so by ownership, especially considering all the rumors that Fox wasn't even his choice to begin with?  Keep in mind they were still paying Trestman not to coach in 2016 and to have fired Fox after the 2016 season with 2 remaining years left on his salary would have been a tough pill to swallow.  Just things to keep in mind.   It's not always so black and white.

38 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Patrick Robinson could be a good add at the CB position. Thoughts?

He has never been really good outside. As a nickle back he would be an interesting add.

My guess is our CB dollars are going to Fuller and Prince.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He has never been really good outside. As a nickle back he would be an interesting add.

My guess is our CB dollars are going to Fuller and Prince.

He was PFF's 3rd rated NCB in the NFL this season. As utilized as that position is nowdays, having a guy that can lock that down ala Chris Harris Jr, is worth the contract he's given IMO. 

46 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Not really.  center position has some nice talent

Maybe we cut Sitton, throw that money at a Center, kick Whitehair to LG and Morgan takes over at RG, Long goes to RT?

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

Maybe we cut Sitton, throw that money at a Center, kick Whitehair to LG and Morgan takes over at RG, Long goes to RT?

too much movement.  the best way to upgrade the interior is to sign a center and move whitehair.  long to RT is a bridge to far and the bears tried that before. 

Archived