2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

I think I'm starting to understand the Landry love. It'll be expensive, but it would allow Pace to add a young, proven slot WR target for his franchise QB. It still allows his "baby" Kevin White to line up at the X. Meredith then gets the Z and Inman, if he wants to return, will backup all three positions. Throw in a rookie speedster somewhere in rounds 2-4 and you're looking alright.

Again, thinking like Pace:

X - White, Inman, Rookie

Z - Meredith, Inman

Slot - Landry, Meredith, Inman

53 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

He is but you have to use him like Cleveland did. Let him attack deep and run simpler routes. His numbers were beat when he was able to adjust on the ball and use his size as an advantage. He doesn't run routes well enough or have the great first step to get separation consistently IMO. 

Ya it really depends on who our OC will be if he’s a fit. 

53 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

Ya it really depends on who our OC will be if he’s a fit. 

Exactly. He can take the Jeffery role if we get Defilippo or Reich and might fit into the Watkins role with Lafleur. I'm not sure how well he would do in Nagy' s offense, or Carmichael's either. 

On 12/13/2017 at 6:05 PM, Sugashane said:

Exactly. He can take the Jeffery role if we get Defilippo or Reich and might fit into the Watkins role with Lafleur. I'm not sure how well he would do in Nagy' s offense, or Carmichael's either. 

I think unless we somehow land Allen Robinson (unlikely) we are gonna have to draft that X receiver. I don’t know that Pace will rely upon White for anything in 2018. I’d like to think he’s smarter than that. 

39 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think unless we somehow land Allen Robinson (unlikely) we are gonna have to draft that X receiver. I don’t know that Pace will rely upon White for anything in 2018. I’d like to think he’s smarter than that. 

I was thinking about this... I highly doubt Robinson is going to sign a long/lucrative deal coming off a torn ACL. I think he's likely going to get a "one year prove it" deal, and I don't see the Jaguars franchise tagging him due to their cap situation.

I'd would love for Pace to make that move, but with Kevin White spending more time on IR than on the field and Meredith coming off a torn ACL, I just don't know if I see Pace making that move (which is a shame).

X - Robinson, Inman, White

Z - Meredith, Inman, White

Slot - Meredith, Inman

Draft a burner in round 2 or 3.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I was thinking about this... I highly doubt Robinson is going to sign a long/lucrative deal coming off a torn ACL. I think he's likely going to get a "one year prove it" deal, and I don't see the Jaguars franchise tagging him due to their cap situation.

I'd would love for Pace to make that move, but with Kevin White spending more time on IR than on the field and Meredith coming off a torn ACL, I just don't know if I see Pace making that move (which is a shame).

X - Robinson, Inman, White

Z - Meredith, Inman, White

Slot - Meredith, Inman

Draft a burner in round 2 or 3.

I wonder if the big drop off in production for Robinson from 2015 to 2016 stymies his market some as well. 

2015: 80-1400-14 on 151 targets

2016: 73-883-6 on 151 targets 

If they add Robinson, I don’t think it happens without another viable add in FA on a 1-year deal, plus a draft pick. They can’t afford to have nothing coming in the door. White will be on the team next year at least until camp because his contract will dictate it but gun to my head he only makes the team if he earns it, and Meredith is a RFA so he’ll be here. Everyone else is up in the air.

I think Inman is most likely to be back of our UFA WR because he can be both an adequate starter and ideal depth, and whether or not Wright is back will be based largely around whether they believe as most here do that Meredith is best in the slot. I have a hard time seeing them giving Wright the multi-year deal he’ll likely merit this offseason if they see him and Cam splitting reps.

I personally don’t think Cam HAS to be a slot even if he does play well there, but especially if there is another legit WR like Robinson opposite him. I rather look at Cam’s ability to excel in the slot as his floor going forward. We know he can do that. We have next year to find out if he can do more. That was the role planned for him this year before he was lost for the season, and his emergence made it possible to Pace to allow Jeffery to walk. For as much talk as there is about White being Pace’s guy I think such is just as much the case with Meredith if not moreso considering where he found him. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

As would I. I imagine White will get a chance to battle for a starting position, but unlike 2017 he will not just walk into the starting role uncontested.

I'm still fine with drafting a WR in the first two rounds, doubly so if we can get a trade down with a substantial return as in my last mock.

FA

Meredith

Rookie (rounds 1-3)

Inman

Wright

White

Gentrty (PS/replace White when he goes to IR)

We aren't the 2007 Patriots out wide, but sure as hell a solid group with that corps. There are some intriguing talents in the middle rounds too. I wouldn't be opposed to a 2nd and 4th round or 3rd and 4th each being spent on WRs.

Meredith was a wonderful hedge to Kevin White and it does, for me anyway, lessen the sting of Kevin White being an All-World-IR-Player. We're fortunate enough that he tore his ACL and had surgery back in late August/early September. He'll be at almost 11 months when training camp comes around in July and we can hedge him with Dontrell Inman.

I think White is going to make this team no matter what, mostly because he's $5+ million in dead money if we cut him, the same cost as if we keep him. I just don't think Pace can rely on him being a starter at all. Immediately I view him as a WR4 that has a chance to compete with another WR. This is why I think we have to make a move in FA to bring in someone to own that position and force White to fight for reps there. Sammy Watkins might be an option as well.

I read an article on NFL dot com about an Eli Apple and Landon Collins Tweeter feud.  The guy has been a health scratch for 4 weeks now.  if you plan on using a 4th rounder on a CB why not try to get him. The way I read the article its just a maturity thing.  I think he was drafted too high and too young and he still needs to grow up a little and a change of location might help. 

12 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

I read an article on NFL dot com about an Eli Apple and Landon Collins Tweeter feud.  The guy has been a health scratch for 4 weeks now.  if you plan on using a 4th rounder on a CB why not try to get him. The way I read the article its just a maturity thing.  I think he was drafted too high and too young and he still needs to grow up a little and a change of location might help. 

Doubt it happens. A better situation in house probably mends a lot of fences there. Apple was a 4* prospect who went to Ohio State. There’s a very real chance this year is the first time in his life he’s been on a team that wasn’t a contender. That coupled with a lack of individual success too and a lot of guys don’t handle it well. He’s still uber talented with sky high potential. If they make him available for a dump like that at this stage isn’t that an indicator that maybe we should be wary? Teams don’t readily give away talented young players. Especially ones seemingly about to enter a rebuild. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Adams' second concussion of the season...third in the last two years...Interesting how it impacts his market.

I wouldn't touch him. Need guys who can stay healthy and who don't have a history of serious injuries.

35 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I wouldn't touch him. Need guys who can stay healthy and who don't have a history of serious injuries.

Outside of Jarvis Landry, which of the top FA WR fit that bill? Robinson, Watkins, Lee, Richardson, Adams, Jordan Matthews all have significant injury history of varying degrees. 

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Outside of Jarvis Landry, which of the top FA WR fit that bill? Robinson, Watkins, Lee, Richardson, Adams, Jordan Matthews all have significant injury history of varying degrees. 

Yeah... kind of sucks especially since Watkins may not even hit FA. Adams I think is overrated and will be paid as such.

Matthews seems like the move Pace will make... he's an X, has produced in the league, and won't break the bank but should have some upside to him (only 25).

10 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I think its a little unfair to say Adams can't stay healthy and is injury prone.  That was a cheap shot and unpreventable from Adams stand point. 

Archived