2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Why are you convinced that the Bears have any intention at all of letting Meredith walk? If he gets an offer and they let him leave he’ll be crucified for it here, but I think the likelihood of that is very low. The situation appears on its face to be the same as Fuller’s albeit in a lower income bracket. I don’t think, however, that is the case with Callahan seeing as how we already have both LeBlanc and Mincy who can play the slot if he leaves. I’m personally not as high on Callahan as the team is reported to be. 

Most of us lauding him for Fuller were on his *** all offseason last year for how he handled Jeffery. Nobody here thinks he’s infallible by any stretch. Making the generalization that people who disagree with you on Fuller think Pace’s moves are always played perfectly makes me think you’re skipping over a lot of the content on this site. Pace has faced constant criticism here over the past few years. 

Well said. With the deals to Glennon, Cooper, Sims, McDonald, Jeffery, White McPhee, etc he has been bashed for numerous signings. I for one love the Fuller deal, though of course there is risk. If he keeps elevating his play we got a steal, if he takes a step back then we have a solid starter for 2 years, giving us time to groom a replacement. Last offseason was a huge letdown in FA, this one is FAR better on paper.

20 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

They did offer him a long term deal reportedly at $10m per and Fuller turned it down.  At the combine Pace said they were aggressively working on a long term deal with Fuller. 

On AZs point hes not ignoring Fullers history, hes telling you that Fullers market value is determined by the market. The Bears let Fuller find it out and they appropriately met it.  

Many of us who are on Paces side have no problem pointing out his mistakes.  Transition tagging Fuller was not one unless you are unhappy with the Bears signing him long term and think its worth $2m more on one year and potentially $4-6 more per year if he plays well in 2018.  Thats really what it comes down and what you need to understand about it is, the Bears have better info on Fuller than anybody on this board and anybody in the league.  Fangio & Donatell know what they see.  How hard he works.  How well he knows his job and responsibilities.  If we are going to say these are very good coaches then we have to give them the benefit of the doubt if they think 2017 Fuller is the real Fuller.

So...if the Packers made him an offer that made Fuller the highest paid cornerback in the league, then that's his market value? 

Sorry. Not buying that for a nanosecond. That doesn't set his market value, it indicates the Packers are idiots. Luckily, that's not what's going on here, but that argument, when it comes to a player like Fuller, is totally specious.

I'm also not a big fan of the "they're professional football people, and they know more than us, so therefore they're right" defense. Anyone could have used that defense for Angelo, too. Would they have been right?

But...don't take any of my posts the wrong way on any of this. While I think both of the moves we're discussing were mistakes, I'm certainly not ripping Pace for them, and overall he still has my trust. Hopefully everything works out in the Bears favor.

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Why are you convinced that the Bears have any intention at all of letting Meredith walk? If he gets an offer and they let him leave he’ll be crucified for it here, but I think the likelihood of that is very low. The situation appears on its face to be the same as Fuller’s albeit in a lower income bracket. I don’t think, however, that is the case with Callahan seeing as how we already have both LeBlanc and Mincy who can play the slot if he leaves. I’m personally not as high on Callahan as the team is reported to be. 

Most of us lauding him for Fuller were on his *** all offseason last year for how he handled Jeffery. Nobody here thinks he’s infallible by any stretch. Making the generalization that people who disagree with you on Fuller think Pace’s moves are always played perfectly makes me think you’re skipping over a lot of the content on this site. Pace has faced constant criticism here over the past few years. 

I don't think they had any intention of letting Meredith walk, I think they underestimated other teams' interest in him. With any luck, you're right about the likelihood of him leaving. 

And...tip o' the hat for the second bit. I wasn't here last off-season, just commenting on what I'm seeing surrounding this stuff at the moment. I'm still a relative newcomer in these here parts. 

And, for what it's worth, with Jeffrey coming off that suspension last year, and his on-the-record reticence about remaining a Bear, I thought Pace handled that situation as best he could. Sometimes things simply don't work out...

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

So...if the Packers made him an offer that made Fuller the highest paid cornerback in the league, then that's his market value? 

Yes. The Packer's would have literally set his market value by offering to pay him that amount. Now market value is often times an estimate, but once somebody walks in and willingly offers a specific amount that is over the estimated market value that sets the market value.

Market value does not equal football value.

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Sorry. Not buying that for a nanosecond. That doesn't set his market value, it indicates the Packers are idiots. Luckily, that's not what's going on here, but that argument, when it comes to a player like Fuller, is totally specious.

Green Bay’s offer, regardless of the amount, is literally the very definition of Fuller’s fair market value. 

433_B279_B-3_CA2-43_F5-8023-5_D45507301_

25 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Yes. The Packer's would have literally set his market value by offering to pay him that amount. Now market value is often times an estimate, but once somebody walks in and willingly offers a specific amount that is over the estimated market value that sets the market value.

Market value does not equal football value.

Sig-worthy quote. 

That's why I have said the biggest spenders aren't the ones who win free agency, the ones who get the greatest value are. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Green Bay’s offer, regardless of the amount, is literally the very definition of Fuller’s fair market value. 

433_B279_B-3_CA2-43_F5-8023-5_D45507301_

Bingo.

You can want Fuller for 12/season, you can think he is worth 12/season, but as season soon as GB offers him 14/season that doesn’t matter.

14 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm also not a big fan of the "they're professional football people, and they know more than us, so therefore they're right" defense. Anyone could have used that defense for Angelo, too. Would they have been right?

But...don't take any of my posts the wrong way on any of this. While I think both of the moves we're discussing were mistakes, I'm certainly not ripping Pace for them, and overall he still has my trust. Hopefully everything works out in the Bears favor.

I don't think they had any intention of letting Meredith walk, I think they underestimated other teams' interest in him. 

Yes if GB offered a contract as the highest paid cb that would be his market value.  Thats how market value works.  Its literally the amount someone is willing to pay.

And youre misunderstanding what im saying.  Im saying that the Bears have more information than you or I or professional football in the league do with regards to Fuller. Not that they know more about football, thats a pretty significant difference.  We on the outside only see the outcome on the field on Sundays.  The Bears have the benefit of knowing what takes place mon-sat.  They know what kind of work Fuller puts in throughout the week.  They know whether Fuller has consistently put that work in or if that was related to his contract year.  

As far as Meredith, has he signed an offer sheet anywhere? So youre contention is they underestimated his interest from other teams but to this point all the evidence points to you being wrong.

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

That guy has 11 followers - Hankins would be a strong add but I’m not putting a ton of stock behind this just yet. 

Glad you clarified. Couldn’t find anything about him but thought it was noteworthy nonetheless.

On 3/25/2018 at 8:49 AM, pigsooie5 said:

Glad you clarified. Couldn’t find anything about him but thought it was noteworthy nonetheless.

I couldn't find anything specific, either. Is there anything else out there pertaining to him meeting with the Bears?

And I see he didn't latch onto the Lions or Redskins in the last couple of days. The Redskins situation strikes me as weird. Is Hankins asking price still really high? That might make it not worth going there, for Pace and the Bears. 

Players I really would like to add

Hankins - even on a one year deal, I'd be happy to try to get him at $6-7 millions per year.

Bennie Logan - not a starter but could be a great rotational piece. Was in KC so maybe Nagy has some pull with him. Can at minimum rotate in for all 3 starters to help keep them fresh.

Ealy - He would be the 2nd best OLB we have right now, but that isn't saying a lot. He is young and Fangio might be able to get him to rebound. Gives that power player to compliment Floyd's athleticism. Can kick down to DL in nickel.

Anthony Sherman - he is still a hell of a blocker from what I saw of KC. Maybe I caught his good games or something, but he looked really good and knows the terminology. So you get that voice in the RB room and an upgrade from Burton. Line is younger if they are wanting a more long term option.

46 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Players I really would like to add

Hankins - even on a one year deal, I'd be happy to try to get him at $6-7 millions per year.

Bennie Logan - not a starter but could be a great rotational piece. Was in KC so maybe Nagy has some pull with him. Can at minimum rotate in for all 3 starters to help keep them fresh.

Ealy - He would be the 2nd best OLB we have right now, but that isn't saying a lot. He is young and Fangio might be able to get him to rebound. Gives that power player to compliment Floyd's athleticism. Can kick down to DL in nickel.

Anthony Sherman - he is still a hell of a blocker from what I saw of KC. Maybe I caught his good games or something, but he looked really good and knows the terminology. So you get that voice in the RB room and an upgrade from Burton. Line is younger if they are wanting a more long term option.

Sherman signed a 1-year extension in KC before FA opened. 

Archived