The Good, the Bad & the Ugly vs. the Eli-less Giants

RaidersAreOne

I'm pretty happy with Navarro Bowman.  Absolutely an upgrade at LB.  We should sign him to a 3 year deal.  I really think our defense is going to be in the top 15 next season if G. Conley and O. Melifonwu can stay healthy for next season.  That's with J. Pagano coaching the defense.

8 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'm pretty happy with Navarro Bowman.  Absolutely an upgrade at LB.  We should sign him to a 3 year deal.  I really think our defense is going to be in the top 15 next season if G. Conley and O. Melifonwu can stay healthy for next season.  That's with J. Pagano coaching the defense.

3 years is a lot... 2 years seems fair with the 2nd year no guaranteed salary.... 

what do you guys think of Nicholas Morrow? He played solid and is fast ...

defense starters in 2018 

DL: Mack, Edwards, upgrade both dts

LB: Irvin, Bowman, James/Morrow 

DB: Conely, upgrade CB, Joseph, Obi 

maybe just need 3 more starters and a pass rusher 

16 hours ago, raidr4life said:
More

Bruce Irvin had 2.5 sacks in 10 games under Ken Norton Jr. He already has 3 sacks in 2 games under John Pagano.

Irvin has been a no show for the majority of the season. He did the same thing last year and piled up sacks late. Makes his stats look good after the year, but he's pretty overrated.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

3 years is a lot... 2 years seems fair with the 2nd year no guaranteed salary.... 

defense starters in 2018 

I don't know about Morrow being a starter(?) but we better address the ilb position early in the draft or posters in here will be calling for Reggies job if someone gets injured.

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

Irvin has been a no show for the majority of the season. He did the same thing last year and piled up sacks late. Makes his stats look good after the year, but he's pretty overrated.

You sure it isn't because KNJ didn't know how to put him in the best position, how many times did Pagano create a free run at the QB with Irvin and Mack, it's only because of Geno's mobility that they didn't sack him more.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Couple of you have mentioned Walford. I've found it off all season that they've not gone more 2 TE looks w/ Cook and Walford. Both have similar skillsets as pass catchers. Hard to cover in the seam.Could create some mismatches I'm sure with them.

I think the coaches prefer Lee's blocking over Walford. To them Lee is an extra OL man who can also catch the odd ball. I think we saw more Walford due to Cook's injury and the Giant's inability to cover TEs.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

You sure it isn't because KNJ didn't know how to put him in the best position, how many times did Pagano create a free run at the QB with Irvin and Mack, it's only because of Geno's mobility that they didn't sack him more.

Both of their sacks weren't scheme related IIRC but they just beat the Gmen's Ts like a drum so hold your horses giving any DC that credit.

On Irvin's, Flowers did his best to get out to Bruce edge rush but when seen he wasn't even gonna touch him he just blocked the blitz that was running right into him. Sure if the T had have been decent then the schemed blitz would have probably been a killer call that ended in a postive result for us but the reality was all Bruce beating Flowers.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21656632

On Mack's, he just ate Wheeler lunch without asking! No explanation needed.

To be clear, I'm not taking away any of the good wrinkles that I think Pagano has added to the defense. I just think credit shouldn't always just fall to the "see KNJ...Pagano" template. Hell, I think just as much of the defenses improved play has to do with Bowman being the playcaller/leader now as Pagano's scheme.

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

#Raiders' John Pagano is only blitzing at a two percent higher rate than KNJ, and OAK has recorded pressures on just 36.3 percent of his blitzes, a three-percent drop compared to KNJ.

Proof it's more about timing, execution, and disguise.

Here is the actual tweet.

I think it's more (not totally) proof that Den and NYG olines are struggling and Bowman is huge upgrade in the middle calling the plays and changes.

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

#Raiders' John Pagano is only blitzing at a two percent higher rate than KNJ, and OAK has recorded pressures on just 36.3 percent of his blitzes, a three-percent drop compared to KNJ.

Proof it's more about timing, execution, and disguise.

This is not how proof works.

5 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

defense starters in 2018 

With starting weakside linebacker Cory James inactive (knee), undrafted rookie Nicholas Morrow made his third start of the season, played 59 snaps and tied for the team lead with nine tackles (with NaVorro Bowman). PFF reported the Giants targeted Morrow eight times in coverage and he allowed seven catches for 59 yards.

http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Raiders-snap-counts-TE-Walford-LB-Morrow-step-12404754.php

Morrow was able to close in on the receiver/tight end very quickly but he didn't break up any passes.  I would consider giving up 7 passes in 8 targets as a major fail.  Plus he's lucky it was a Giants team that literally game planned around the short passing game.

From the All-22:

Good:

• T.J. Carrie: Maybe his best game of the year. He was locked on Sterling Shepard in man coverage for half the game and did a great job. He also showed good instinct in zone coverage. Priority re-sign in my eyes.
  • Marshawn Lynch: Wasn't spectacular but got the job done. All he had to do is churn his legs on the long run be he had a nice catch later in the game which looked like vintage Marshawn.
  • Cordarrelle Patterson: He's our cheat code on offense when things aren't going well. Give him 3-4 chances in space a game and something will happen.
  • Dexter McDonald: He was playing on no names, but McDonald was great in man coverage on the outside. He'll be quality depth going forward.
  • Khalil Mack: I'm not sure if he ever came off the field but he was absolutely dominant.

Bad:

• Kelechi Osemele: Snacks Harrison pushed him around like I haven't seen before. He wasn't dominated, but he didn't look like the big money guard he is.
  • Derek Carr downfield throws: Apart from the one drop to Holton, Carr was bad when target open receivers down the field. On the 2nd almost pick he had Cook open in the seam. The Isaac Whitney deep shot was a clear under throw. He doesn't have the confidence he had a year ago making those plays down field.
  • Nicholas Morrow: Seems a little unfair to put him here because he's supposedly a weak link, but he does flash from time to time. My biggest problem with his play is how often he gets lost in zone coverage. Had the Raiders played a better quarterback, the middle of the field would have been picked apart.

Ugly:

• Geno Smith: Not quite as bad as Paxton Lynch because of the experience and mobility, but still plenty bad.
  • Giants receives: My goodness do they not get open.
  • Johnny Holton: I don't think he's an NFL receiver, even as depth. I have to think the occasional deep shot he catches can be made by a player who can also make an impact underneath. He's like 25% of Andre Holmes.

13 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Geno Smith: Not quite as bad as Paxton Lynch because of the experience and mobility, but still plenty bad.

Aside from the 2 fumbles. He went 13-19 in the 2nd half and had his team within a TD. Geno Smith takes a lot of flak, he's a serviceable QB. Good arm and can win with his feet.

Archived