The Good, the Bad & the Ugly vs. the Eli-less Giants

RaidersAreOne

15 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

T.J. Carrie: Maybe his best game of the year. He was locked on Sterling Shepard in man coverage for half the game and did a great job. He also showed good instinct in zone coverage. Priority re-sign in my eyes.

He was turned around and left grabbing air giving up a 47 yard pass to Shepard. Had some good plays, but that one sticks out.

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Both of their sacks weren't scheme related IIRC but they just beat the Gmen's Ts like a drum so hold your horses giving any DC that credit.

On Irvin's, Flowers did his best to get out to Bruce edge rush but when seen he wasn't even gonna touch him he just blocked the blitz that was running right into him. Sure if the T had have been decent then the schemed blitz would have probably been a killer call that ended in a postive result for us but the reality was all Bruce beating Flowers.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21656632

On Mack's, he just ate Wheeler lunch without asking! No explanation needed.

To be clear, I'm not taking away any of the good wrinkles that I think Pagano has added to the defense. I just think credit shouldn't always just fall to the "see KNJ...Pagano" template. Hell, I think just as much of the defenses improved play has to do with Bowman being the playcaller/leader now as Pagano's scheme.

Ugh! There were a couple of times when Pagano had the DL fire to the right or left the OT bit to the inside and left Mack or Irvin with a free run at Smith. as I said it didn't result in sacks because of Geno's mobility he was able to throw the ball away, that's called creating pressure by confusing the OL.

8 hours ago, Jerry said:

I'm pretty happy with Navarro Bowman.  Absolutely an upgrade at LB.  We should sign him to a 3 year deal.  I really think our defense is going to be in the top 15 next season if G. Conley and O. Melifonwu can stay healthy for next season.  That's with J. Pagano coaching the defense.

So what up with Conley?  Saw him in one game.  Will we see him again this year?

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Ugh! There were a couple of times when Pagano had the DL fire to the right or left the OT bit to the inside and left Mack or Irvin with a free run at Smith. as I said it didn't result in sacks because of Geno's mobility he was able to throw the ball away, that's called creating pressure by confusing the OL.

What are you huffing and puffing about?

Did I dispute other pass rushing snaps or not give Pagano credit for adding wrinkles to the defense?

No.

I think my point was pretty clear. The actual big play turnovers were created by the men themselves. Not anything scheme related.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Aside from the 2 fumbles. He went 13-19 in the 2nd half and had his team within a TD. Geno Smith takes a lot of flak, he's a serviceable QB. Good arm and can win with his feet.

Yup. Alot csn be rightfully said about the circumstances that lead to him starting and the play of our defense but I said it before the game I still stand by it that the Giants probably stood a better chance in this game with Geno than Eli. Their backup Ts were understandably overmatched and Eli can't escape from DTs let alone the best pass rushers in the league. Geno gave them a shot with his feet and threw some nice passes. He will never be better than Eli but it didn't come away embarrassing the coach for making the decision.

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He was turned around and left grabbing air giving up a 47 yard pass to Shepard. Had some good plays, but that one sticks out.

That was a tough play. Carrie was in position and had virtually shut down Shepard all game. I think Carrie was surprised by the throw being so behind and Shepard made a great adjustment. I still think carrie played great.

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yup. Alot csn be rightfully said about the circumstances that lead to him starting and the play of our defense but I said it before the game I still stand by it that the Giants probably stood a better chance in this game with Geno than Eli. Their backup Ts were understandably overmatched and Eli can't escape from DTs let alone the best pass rushers in the league. Geno gave them a shot with his feet and threw some nice passes. He will never be better than Eli but it didn't come away embarrassing the coach for making the decision.

I disagree. I thought Smith left a lot of plays on the field - particularly between the hashes in the linebacker zone. Even with two big YAC plays, his YPA was well under 7 yards.

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I disagree. I thought Smith left a lot of plays on the field - particularly between the hashes in the linebacker zone. Even with two big YAC plays, his YPA was well under 7 yards.

10 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

• Kelechi Osemele: Snacks Harrison pushed him around like I haven't seen before. He wasn't dominated, but he didn't look like the big money guard he is.
  • Derek Carr downfield throws: Apart from the one drop to Holton, Carr was bad when target open receivers down the field. On the 2nd almost pick he had Cook open in the seam. The Isaac Whitney deep shot was a clear under throw. He doesn't have the confidence he had a year ago making those plays down field.

KO has a pretty good block on the Lynch TD run. Not saying that he shut down Snacks but he did his job. Also Snacks is a dang good player in the NFL not some nobody. 

I think the fact that Carr didn’t have his usual WRs was a big reason he was off. Throwing downfield requires a ton of timing and it seemed to me that the timing was totally off. He even said it on his post game YouTube channel that this was the first time in years that he’s played without both Coop and Crabtree. I think if Coop’s in the game he’s throwing that Whitney pass to someone else not a guy activated this week off the practice squad. It takes a long time to get that timing down. And on that Cook pass, it looked to me that Cook slowed down out of his break. I think the injury that Cook got in the game had more to do it than anything. If Cook runs that route the way he’s supposed to that’s a big gain. But the injury slowed him which screwed up the timing. 

In my honest opinion this game for Carr reminded me of his rookie season when James Jones was his #1 target. Without his top guys Carr will look pretty average. 

50 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

None of that makes what I said untrue. I didn't say he was perfect or even good.

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

In my honest opinion this game for Carr reminded me of his rookie season when James Jones was his #1 target. Without his top guys Carr will look pretty average. 

All things considered, I thought Carr played well outside of a few plays. Last week's receiving corps was probably the worst he's ever played with in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

All things considered, I thought Carr played well outside of a few plays. Last week's receiving corps was probably the worst he's ever played with in the NFL.

I don't think Carr is a bad QB, I think he can be a good one even with lesser talent around him. When he's got talent he becomes exponentially better. Brady was like that early in his career,  because he didn't have talent, until some idiot team decided to give him a hall of fame player. But you look at his numbers they where pretty pedestrian until he got Moss/Welker then Gronk/ Hernandez and finally the WR corp of white dudes who catch everything. I think that Carr could be like Brady getting better as he goes when he gets better more explosive playmakers.

Archived