Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Seems like Russ has really been struggling in camp thus far. It has me worried the problems weren’t all Hackett last year.

There is plenty of suck to pass around for last year...I think Hackett is #1 to blame and far and away the most incompetent HC I've seen up close. Which is wild considering our history lol.

But Russ sucked regardless of the position he was put in. I think his body is a concern. I am hoping he looks more trim this year. Realistically we need a coach that can produce with him being soundly a mediocre QB at best. So we will see. He might really be a terrible QB now fr 

They were just talking about it on the radio and the guys were saying that Sean is scheming guys open but Russ is missing them with bad decision making and bad throw execution. 

Now, like Ben rightly points out, it’s early in camp with a new offense. Russ will need to improve and Sean will learn what his strengths and weaknesses are and adapt accordingly, I hope.

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

They were just talking about it on the radio and the guys were saying that Sean is scheming guys open but Russ is missing them with bad decision making and bad throw execution. 

Now, like Ben rightly points out, it’s early in camp with a new offense. Russ will need to improve and Sean will learn what his strengths and weaknesses are and adapt accordingly, I hope.

And if he doesn't, I do not have any doubt that Payton will move to Stidham and create an offense around him that works. Remember, Payton brought in Stidham, not Russ. That wasn't an accident. Will be interesting to see how this transpires, but I think its far too early to make a call either way.

48 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

And if he doesn't, I do not have any doubt that Payton will move to Stidham and create an offense around him that works. Remember, Payton brought in Stidham, not Russ. That wasn't an accident. Will be interesting to see how this transpires, but I think its far too early to make a call either way.

Also gotta remember the defense ALWAYS looks better in TC than the offenses do. Offenses are going through a new installation and working on timing/rhythm. Defenses just fly around playing their matchups. Its usually not until the final preseason game where things start coming together for offenses.

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don't think Sean will alter his offense one bit to accommodate Russ. I like Stidhams chances a lot.

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think Sean will alter his offense one bit to accommodate Russ. I like Stidhams chances a lot.

The offense is going to be run-centric and I expect that means Russ will be allowed/encouraged to use his feet more than he was last year.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 4:30 AM, broncos67 said:

The offense is going to be run-centric and I expect that means Russ will be allowed/encouraged to use his feet more than he was last year.

So, I had a girlfriend in NO from about 2006-2010, huge Saints fan and I watched them quite a bit. Even saw a few at the Superdome. Anyway, Seans great at scheming folks open downfield, lots more than most WCO's, especially in Play action. Brees was great at spotting the open guy at getting there on time. It's really a solid vertical element to the offense and makes loading the box to stop the run almost suicidal. 

I'm just wondering if Russ will be able to take advantage with 30+ yard shots downfield like Brees or if he'll be taking off running for 5-10. Seans offense just doesn't seem like a fit for Wilsons skill set. 

Edited by AKRNA

On 8/6/2023 at 3:21 AM, AKRNA said:

So, I had a girlfriend in NO from about 2006-2010, huge Saints fan and I watched them quite a bit. Even saw a few at the Superdome. Anyway, Seans great at scheming folks open downfield, lots more than most WCO's, especially in Play action. Brees was great at spotting the open guy at getting there on time. It's really a solid vertical element to the offense and makes loading the box to stop the run almost suicidal. 

I'm just wondering if Russ will be able to take advantage with 30+ yard shots downfield like Brees or if he'll be taking off running for 5-10. Seans offense just doesn't seem like a fit for Wilsons skill set. 

I think that's a fair and warranted concern, but I also think Payton is a good enough coach to take advantage of the skillset of his players. I don't think we're going to run an offense like he ran in NO, and that would be the case whether Payton or Stidham was the QB. Brees had a totally different skillset than either of those guys.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 3:21 AM, AKRNA said:

I thought that was Russ' strong point, the deep ball.  Maybe this is why this marriage will work, and I hope the struggles reported are just working out the kinks. 

Sean is too good of a coach to try to run the Brees offense with a different QB and talent lot.

There will be similarities, sure, but whether it’s Russ, Stidham or (in the future) some rookie, he will adapt his scheme to his talent; he’s not Mac trying to fit square pegs into round holes or acquire every former Saint he can get his hands on in a futile attempt to rekindle successes of the past. 

I expect the offense is be far more (old school) WCO with running to set up play action, get Russ on the move and out of the pocket on boots and waggles. It will be 2, 3 reads and then pickup what you can with your legs. Quick and use defensive flows against itself. 

It’ll be interesting to watch as I see a power running game, rather than zone, but then a passing attack based off rollouts and the like. One thing at which Hackett’s offense failed miserably was getting Russ outside the pocket to give him windows into the middle 3 passing zones. I expect that to change with Sean.

I also think we will see quite a bit of 12 (1 RB, 2 TEs) personnel - Albert O and Dulchich at TE, Sutton and Jeudy outside and a single back with Javonte/Perine - you can run and pass and create lots of mismatches with said personnel, especially if you use motion as only 2 of the 4 need to be on the LOS. It would be better if our 2 TEs were better blockers but you have to play the cards you’re dealt.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

They seem to be running a lot of quick game out of tight/condensed formations. It will be a big challenge for Russ to do that effectively. I expect the run game + play action to work pretty well. The quick game is the question for me. 

Thats what it was last season and failed miserably. I feel like Russ is meant to be in a Shannahan style of offense with a ton of misdirection, zone read, get the QB rolling, ect. 

I have my questions if Payton can make this work but what gives me hope is that he has said 1) We are doing the opposite of last year and 2) To fix Russ he would go back to every TD he threw in the Redzone for the past 5 years and implement those plays into the playbook.

From his words, he seems like he is aware that he cant run the Brees quick hit offense here in Denver. That gives me hope. He seems smart and aware enough that he will put these players in better positions with what they do well to succeed.

Edited by AkronsWitness