AG#20's Mock Extravaganza

AlexGreen#20

I have no problems signing Eifert but that's way way way too much money for a injury riddled kid like him. You'd have to give him a huge bonus incentive type contract, but some team will pay him because he's so talented and end up getting ticked because he's a injury away from never playing again. 

Literally the only reason to cut Cobb and Matthews is to sign that many free agents. 

This mock seems to be exactly what I want in the draft.  Aggressiveness and moving up frequently, neglecting the later rounds because we need the 3 best players we can get this draft instead of 1 good player and 9 players to battle for a roster spot.  Which, of course, means we'll trade down 4 times and end up with 16 draft picks once it's all said and done.

Don't like the idea of re-signing House and then going after Prince.  Gotta think King is good for one spot, Randall is good for the slot, and we either plan to get our other boundary guy in the second or third round or we re-sign House or we sign a corner.

Eiffert plus a second/third/fourth is the exact thing I want to do at TE. 

Chubb is the type of personality I think we need at pass rusher.  Read an interview and some of his at draftcountdown and felt like we need somebody who will bring some excitement and personality to our pass rush the same way Matthews did when he came into the league. 

19 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

2018 Depth Chart: 12/3/17 Edition

QB: Aaron Rodgers/Brett Hundley

RB: Aaron Jones/Jamal Williams/Ty Montgomery/Davante Mays

FB: Aaron Ripkowski

TE: Lance Kendricks

WR: Jordy Nelson/Randall Cobb/Trevor Davis

OT: David Bakhtiari/Bryan Bulaga/Kyle Murphy/Jason Spriggs

OG: Lane Taylor

OC:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

NT: Kenny Clark

UT: Mike Daniels/Dean Lowry/Montravius Adams

ILB: Blake Martinez/Jake Ryan/Josh Jones

OLB: Nick Perry/Clay Matthews/Kyler Fackrell/Vince Biegel/David Talley/Chris Odom

CB: Kevin King/Damarious Randall/Quinten Rollins/Josh Hawkins/Lenzy Pipkins

S: Ha-Ha Clinton Dix/Kentrell Brice/Marwin Evans

K: Mason Crosby

P: Justin Vogel

LS:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Salary Cap Work

We currently have $33,000,000 in cap space. We will roll over $12,500,000. That will give us a total amount of $45,500,000. We will then subtract $10,500,000 to pay for next year’s roll over and draft picks.

That leaves a sign and resign budget of $35,000,000

Cuts:

12438.png&w=350&h=25414053.png&w=350&h=254

Clay Matthews (Save $11,500,000): The man has 15 combined sacks in 2015, 2016, and 2017. I love what he’s done as a Packer especially coming right out of the gate, but Clay will be 32 in 2018 and it looks to me like the acceleration that made him a difference maker is gone. He’s at best our 3rd best pass rusher this season and an argument could be made for 5th. It’s nothing personal, it’s just that you can find that quality of production much cheaper elsewhere.

Randall Cobb (Save $9,500,000): Much like Clay, Cobb has simply underperformed his last three seasons. He has a combined 12 TDs and is averaging less than 700 yards per season. With the amount of money that he’s making, he needs to be a significant difference maker and he simply hasn’t been. I also don’t think that he has a long term future with this team. Jordy Nelson has outplayed him in the slot and Cobb isn’t like Nelson where if the slot isn’t playing, he can go to the boundary.

Working Cap Number after Cuts: $56,000,000

Resignings (Years/Amount/First Year Cap Hit):

Image result for davante adams stats espnImage result for corey linsley stats espnImage result for jahri evans stats espn

Image result for jeff janis stats espnImage result for geronimo allison espn statsImage result for justin mccray stats espn

Davante Adams (4/50/9): Basing this off the Alshon Jeffery contract. Jeffery got 4/52 but Adams hasn’t had quite the success around the league that Jeffery had. You need Adams back. With Cobb gone and Jordy regressing, you can’t go into next year without Adams.

Corey Linsley (2/14/5): Linsley has been very unimpressive this year and looks in a lot of ways like he’s not a needle mover, just a reflection of the guys playing next to him. When Linsley had great guards next to him, he was playing very well. When Linsley has average guards next to him, he’s been mediocre. I struggled like hell with this signing and only kicked him up to 7 AAV to be able to shorten the deal down to 2 years.

Jahri Evans (2/5/2): We don’t have another guard on the roster and Evans has been fine this year. Resign him for two more years on his current contract with the expectation he won’t see the second year of his contract. Draft somebody to fill in behind him and learn from him this year.

Jeff Janis (2/2.5/1): Pay the man for his specials work. He’s a demon at it.

Geronimo Allison (EFRA Tender 1/630k/630k): He literally costs nothing. Is the Nelson/Cobb duo better than the Allison/Nelson duo? Absolutely. But the Allison/Nelson duo is a much better bargain at $9,000,000 cheaper. Let Allision be a place holder for one year as somebody else develops behind him.

Justin McCray (EFRA Tender 1/630k/630k): McCray has played a lot of football for us this year, and almost all of it has been at Tackle. He’s a guard, should be playing guard, and considering what his contract is and the lack of depth we have at guard, he’s a fine backup. If a guard drops into your lap in round 4, you cut McCray loose for peanuts.

Working Cap Number after Offensive Resignings: $37,500,000

13264.png&w=350&h=254Image result for davon house stats espnImage result for ahmad brooks stats espn

Image result for quinton dial stats espnImage result for brett goode espn stats

Morgan Burnett (3/24/6): I think Morgan Burnett is a second tier safety, and as a 29 year old second tier safety, you get paid like a second tier safety. We have a dubious history bringing guys back on 3rd contracts, but Burnett isn’t 32 like Clay, he’s 29. He’s also a guy that can be trusted to do everything and is far and away our best box Safety. I know that Jones will eventually need to be groomed into this role, but I think bringing him along slowly is the answer.

Davon House (2/7/3): I’m probably too optimistic with this contract, but House signed last year for (1/3/3). This gives him something of a raise, and I think takes advantage of a player the rest of the league doesn’t really seem to appreciate. He’s fine as a middle of the road #2 and even if we do draft somebody to take that spot, we’ve still got no depth behind the top 3 CBs. If House signed for (2/14/6) somewhere this offseason, I wouldn’t be stunned.

Quinton Dial (2/1.5/750k): We need a second BIG behind Clark and Dial is an alright role player at it. I don’t want to put the weight on Adams necessary to let him play that role rotationally, so you play somebody basically the vet minimum to do it.

Ahmad Brooks (2/7/3): Brooks is undoubtedly physically declining, but I just cut Clay Matthews and the only legs I have after Perry are green and lousy. If Brooks can function for one more year as a stop gap 3rd rusher, this contract is worth it.

Brett Goode: 2/2.5/1: I’m sick of messing around with Long Snappers. Bring back the guy who has been consistently good.

Working Cap Number after Defensive Resignings: $24,000,000

Outside Free Agency Signings:

Image result for tyler eifert espn stats16804.png&w=350&h=254Image result for prince amukamara stats espn

Tyler Eifert (4/32/6): The team needs a TE. Signing Eifert means you’re not gambling on a rookie to come in and do his thing. Even if you do grab a rookie next year, it gives you options to run with.

John Brown (3/9/2): I’m having a hard time finding the right contract for him and I’m certainly willing to go up with it if it means we get some speed in the receiving corps. Allison/Nelson/Adams is SLOW. At least having the option to play Brown and Janis gives you some kind of deep play speed.

Prince Amukamara (3/24/7) I’m just kinda trying to spend money here. King, Amukamara, and House give you a definite identity on the boundary. You’ve certainly got the length to match up with people. House moves over onto the bench with King and Amukamara fighting it out for the #1 job.

I just don’t know what to do with this money. I don’t want to spend money for the sake of spending money, and at this point I’m not seeing a lot of bodies I want available in Free Agency. There’s absolutely nothing in the pass rushers category except Demarcus Lawrence and I don’t have the stomach to give him a 100 million dollar contract. Maybe I should just spend the money to try and steal Jimmy Graham away rather than settling for Eifert, but I’m not sure Eifert isn’t a better player at this point.

Working Cap number after UFA: $9,000,000

Draft:

Bradley ChubbImage result for maea teuhema lsuImage result for mike gesickiImage result for tyquan lewisImage result for leon jacobs 247Image result for lowell lotulelei 247[Picture of Kareem Orr here]

Trade: 1/2/3b to move up into the top 10 to select: Bradley Chubb (EDGE-NC State)

Trading up in this manner is probably the most Anti-Thompson thing that could be done, but I want a stud edge rusher to team with Perry. The pass rush has been nonexistent at times this year and it’s incredibly frustrating to watch.

Bradley Chubb is a stud. At 6’3-275, he’s got awesome strength for his position, he has a great punch and ability to walk an OT back into a QB. He’s got a helluva rip move that he deploys frequently to work past people. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Nick Perry, if Perry had come into the pros with a fully developed secondary move and a knowledge of who he was.

3. Maea Teuhema (OG-Southeastern Louisiana/LSU)

Jahri Evans probably only has one more year as a starter. I’d like to get a long term starter behind him to get some experience rather than throwing a rookie in there. I do not believe that McCray or Murphy is a long term answer at Guard so you’ve got to track somebody down in the draft.

I’ve been a big fan of Teuhema since his freshman year at LSU. He was a stand out then and I love the drive skills and overall athleticism. He should have stayed at Guard rather than everyone trying to make him a Tackle.

Trade 4/5/5b to move back into the 3rd round to draft Mike Gesicki (TE-Penn State)

Another big trade up, but I’ve got too many draft picks in the bottom of the draft and not enough open roster spots. TE is a position you can play two guys at, and with he and Eifert you’ve got two guys that are a mismatch. It gives you the option and when Eifert is done, you’ve got Gesicki to take over as the primary.

I’ve been a big fan of Gesicki for a while and think he’s going to be a much better pro than he is a college player. He’s a crap blocker, but a great athlete and a natural pass catcher. Lining he and Eifert up in the redzone gives you two legitimate tall targets to pressure defenses.

5c. Tyquan Lewis (EDGE-OSU)

I’m all good to add another set of legs to the OLB rotation. Fackrell has one sack in 303 snaps (and that number will get worse after this week). I hate to write a guy off after two seasons, but he’s offered literally nothing his entire career. He’s looking like a horrible bust.

5d. Leon Jacobs (ILB-Wisconsin)

I like what Jake Ryan can do as a run defender, but I’d like another real inside linebacker that might be able to cover somebody. We need to make more big plays on defense and that’s something Jacobs was phenomenal at all year.

6. Lowell Lotulelei (NT-Utah)

Quinton Dial isn’t showing me the anchor to be a backup NT. I’m not saying that Lowell Lotuleleli is going to be a Ryan Pickett type, but I’d rather have too much beef than not enough.

7. Kareem Orr (CB-Chatanooga)

I know nothing about him. I want an athlete project CB. It doesn’t have to be him, but I’d like another set of legs.

2018 Depth Chart: Season Edition

QB: Aaron Rodgers/Brett Hundley

RB: Aaron Jones/Jamal Williams/Ty Montgomery/Davante Mays

FB: Aaron Ripkowski

TE: Tyler Eifert/Lance Kendricks/Mike Gesicki

WR: Jordy Nelson/Davante Adams/Trevor Davis/Jeff Janis/John Brown/Gernimo Allison

OT: David Bakhtiari/Bryan Bulaga/Kyle Murphy/Jason Spriggs

OG: Lane Taylor/Jahri Evans/Maea Teuhema/Justin McCray

OC: Corey Linsley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

NT: Kenny Clark/Quinton Dial/Lowell Lotulelei

UT: Mike Daniels/Dean Lowry/Montravius Adams

ILB: Blake Martinez/Jake Ryan/Josh Jones/Leon Jacobs

OLB: Nick Perry/Bradley Chubb/Ahmad Brooks/Kyler Fackrell/Vince Biegel/David Talley/Chris Odom/Tyquan Lewis

CB: Kevin King/Prince Amukamara/Davon House/Damarious Randall/Quinten Rollins/Josh Hawkins/Lenzy Pipkins/Kareem Orr

S: Ha-Ha Clinton Dix/Morgan Burnett/Kentrell Brice/Marwin Evans

K: Mason Crosby

P: Justin Vogel

LS: Brett Goode

Cut: Trevor Davis/David Talley/Chris Odom/Lenzy Pipkins/Kareem Orr/Justin McCray

Nice job, just remember, anything is possible.  LOL!!!  Nice work, I like the cap space work.  Thanks!  Just asking, isn't Chubb more of a 4-3 DE then a 3-4 OLB?  What do you think of that OLB from Ohio St. Hubbard?

I sure do like a lot of this, AG ... don't care for the Eifert deal.  That's way too much scratch for a guy who can't stay healthy, and is coming off back surgery.  I'd rather throw some dough at Graham .. he's at least been healthy the past few seasons after a really bad knee injury.  

I love the trade up for a stud pass rusher .. we need to quit messing around and add a difference maker at OLB or Elephant.  We've got to a point where it makes little sense to take 10 players in the draft .. several will get cut at the end of training camp.  Trade up a bit and hope you can hit on some serious players.

Cutting Cobb sounds like an easy move.  Matthews is a guy I'd like to have back on a much cheaper deal.  I hate to shed pass rushers from a team that lacks pass rushers.  Rework that deal and maybe things become more palatable.

Adding John Brown and Prince Amukamara  make sense.  I'd take Prince over House if it came to it.  Brown adds speed which we could use, but he's had a hard time staying healthy the past few years.   

I do believe Cobb will be cut, if he doesn't take a cut in a re-structure.  I do not believe Clay will be cut.  I also do not believe it is a lock Bulaga is back.  PUP'd maybe.

We need to add a QB in this draft.  We need speed everywhere, but they have to be football players.  I think a pass rusher our greatest need, but drafting WR and TE and even RB's with speed and upside important.  We need to add a corner no doubt. 

8 hours ago, 15412 said:

I do believe Cobb will be cut, if he doesn't take a cut in a re-structure.  I do not believe Clay will be cut.  I also do not believe it is a lock Bulaga is back.  PUP'd maybe.

We need to add a QB in this draft.  We need speed everywhere, but they have to be football players.  I think a pass rusher our greatest need, but drafting WR and TE and even RB's with speed and upside important.  We need to add a corner no doubt. 

Not that I'm writing off any possibility, but why do you think Bulaga would be let go?

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not that I'm writing off any possibility, but why do you think Bulaga would be let go?

Depends on next training camp. May not be 100% yet, LOTS of leg injuries in his past & lots of money. If not cut, me guy be placed on PUP or IR to start n cut year. Then he’s another year older. 

Well, let's look at Bulaga.  2nd ACL and other chronic ailments.  Will he be ready by camp for full go?  He has a couple years left on his contract with a base of around 6 million and cap hit of 8.3.  I think something like a million in bonuses.  Dead money is under 2 million.  I don't know what the exact cap savings would be, but I think substantial.  Murphy, Spriggs, and others all much cheaper and healthier options.  McCray has even proven he can play there although better fit inside.  We have bloated or overpaid contracts as it is (Cobb, CM3, etc) and have others that need addressing.  Adams and Burnett far more valuable to this team at this point.  Just a thought.

10 hours ago, 15412 said:

Well, let's look at Bulaga.  2nd ACL and other chronic ailments.  Will he be ready by camp for full go?  He has a couple years left on his contract with a base of around 6 million and cap hit of 8.3.  I think something like a million in bonuses.  Dead money is under 2 million.  I don't know what the exact cap savings would be, but I think substantial.  Murphy, Spriggs, and others all much cheaper and healthier options.  McCray has even proven he can play there although better fit inside.  We have bloated or overpaid contracts as it is (Cobb, CM3, etc) and have others that need addressing.  Adams and Burnett far more valuable to this team at this point.  Just a thought.

Bulaga played 97% of snaps in 2016. 

Cutting Bulaga has a dead cap of 3.2 million. 

Sure, Murphy and Spriggs are a lot cheaper, they're also a lot worse. 

If Bulaga can't play in 2018, then you consider cutting him, if you can somehow with the CBA restrictions, but Bulaga is a damn good player on a team friendly deal when healthy. If Spriggs was looking like a stud while Bulaga was out, maybe you consider it, but right now he hasn't been close. 

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Bulaga can't play in 2018, then you consider cutting him, if you can somehow with the CBA restrictions, but Bulaga is a damn good player on a team friendly deal when healthy. If Spriggs was looking like a stud while Bulaga was out, maybe you consider it, but right now he hasn't been close. 

Comes down to the health of Bulaga for 2018.  Dead cap of 3.2M, savings of 5.1M

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think it has to do with his post-season physical.  If they feel he's not going to be available in 2018, or going to miss a good chunk of that season then he's a cap casualty.  And that only gets magnified if Jason Spriggs plays well.

Archived