2024 NBA Draft Discussion: Hawks, Wizards, Rockets and Spurs are 1-4.

Texansfan713

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Honestly I think for Portland it would probably make more sense to just trade Dame at that point if he gives an ultimatum.  Or at least trade #1 for #15 and do it there while getting other assets.  I just can't see a team being willing to throw away the top pick or even a top 10 pick for that.  I think Lebron would have to have already agreed to join for whatever it takes to fit in financially and it would have to be a team that is super close to even consider it IMO.  And teams like that just don't get the top pick often. 

I would be shocked if it happens in the lottery tbh, again unless Bronny balls out and earns it.  The mystique of Lebron just isn't what it used to be and even though he is beating father time right now, it will catch up and he will turn into the Wizards MJ.  And I am not throwing away a potential star or even a potential role player who is cheap for that.  

Like would you really want to pay Bronny 10-15 Mil a year to be the end of your bench or in the G League just to say Lebron played for your team?  

Time will tell. Again, it's a weak class at the top and Bronny isn't a non-prospect. He's a viable wing defender, a great creator and a good shooter while being an elite athlete. He's got a great first step and he's explosive as hell. Why is he a non-prospect to some of you?

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you’re picking in the top 5 there’s no way that you’re contending with LeBron. The one year retirement tour with Bron/Bronny would definitely be must see TV. Does passing on a guy that can be an All-Star level guy for a decade for an average prospect help the GM’s job security long term? 

Agreed.  If Houston could have signed Tom Brady this year and been stuck with his son making #1 overall money, they would definitely draft Young instead still.  Heck, even if they could have both they likely wouldn't take Brady this year.  I'd rather have the chance at a Tyrese Haliburton, Jaden Ivey, Franz Wagner, Josh Giddy etc than be stuck with a prospect I dont want just to have Lebron.  Even if that pick flames out, the odds of that pick helping you beyond 1 year are significantly higher than doing anything of value with Lebron. 

I know if the Pistons got the top pick, I would be upset if they spent it on Bronny just to add Lebron for a year.  If we end up with a pick in the teens, sure if Cade, Ivey and Duren improve a lot and he could help the culture and get us over the playoff hump but it would still likely be for a bottom half of the playoffs team so it wouldn't do much. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd rather have the chance at a Tyrese Haliburton, Jaden Ivey, Franz Wagner, Josh Giddy etc than be stuck with a prospect I dont want just to have Lebron

And, right now, this class doesn't have that kind of prospect so that point is moot.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Time will tell. Again, it's a weak class at the top and Bronny isn't a non-prospect. He's a viable wing defender, a great creator and a good shooter while being an elite athlete. He's got a great first step and he's explosive as hell. Why is he a non-prospect to some of you?

Comparatively to the rest of this weak class, he is a non-prospect in every evaluators minds.  So comparatively to his peers, he is a non-prospect at the moment.  That can change for sure, but he has to prove it first.  If he is a late 1st/early 2nd type prospect at the end of the year, maybe its worth it but you still have to pay him top 5 money and he still has more bust potential than any other #1 pick.  If he proves to be a lottery level talent, shows well at the combine, then maybe it makes more sense as long as nobody separates from the pack.  

Even projected weak years usually find some stars.  2020 was considered a weak year and produced 5/6 star players. Even with how bad 2013 is at the top, there are plenty of solid players that can help a team longer term.  So if you trust your coaches and scouting departments, the risk is smaller with taking the better prospect. 

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And, right now, this class doesn't have that kind of prospect so that point is moot.

They do though.  All of those prospects were considered bad picks or weak prospects except Ivey.  Just because those guys became what they are, doesn't mean people weren't trashing their draft classes.  2020 was supposed to be weak and Ball was a shot in the dark.  Ant was athletic but was raw and risky just like Bennet was.  It just worked out better for MN than it did Cleveland.  But that draft class was considered one of the worst ever prior to the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Comparatively to the rest of this weak class, he is a non-prospect in every evaluators minds.  So comparatively to his peers, he is a non-prospect at the moment.  That can change for sure, but he has to prove it first.  If he is a late 1st/early 2nd type prospect at the end of the year, maybe its worth it but you still have to pay him top 5 money and he still has more bust potential than any other #1 pick.  If he proves to be a lottery level talent, shows well at the combine, then maybe it makes more sense as long as nobody separates from the pack.  

Even projected weak years usually find some stars.  2020 was considered a weak year and produced 5/6 star players. Even with how bad 2013 is at the top, there are plenty of solid players that can help a team longer term.  So if you trust your coaches and scouting departments, the risk is smaller with taking the better prospect. 

Givony had him in the top 10 recently and has him at 17 to the Hawks right now, just outside the lottery. How is that "late 1st, early 2nd?" 

All these prospects have to prove it. None of them have separated themselves and Bronny has an NBA level toolset with his ability to create his own shot and hit from NBA 3. He does it more consistently than a lot of these slash and dash wings at the top of the draft currently. 

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

They do though.  All of those prospects were considered bad picks or weak prospects except Ivey.  Just because those guys became what they are, doesn't mean people weren't trashing their draft classes.  2020 was supposed to be weak and Ball was a shot in the dark.  Ant was athletic but was raw and risky just like Bennet was.  It just worked out better for MN than it did Cleveland.  But that draft class was considered one of the worst ever prior to the draft. 

Ant is an athletic freak that this class simply doesn't have and was built like a bulldog. The only question with him was whether or not he was going to be able to shoot the ball. Everyone knows my thoughts on Melo so I won't touch him. 

My point being, I think people are underrating Bronny's toolset simply because of his name (and I'm sure someone will say "well he's only in the spotlight because of his name" despite that only being partially true, his skillset stands out in my eyes). The kid can flat out shoot, he's explosive as hell getting to the rack and he can elevate and get his shot off over anyone despite being 6'3". He's also a damn good perimeter defender at his age. His foundation is there to have a long NBA career. 

Honestly, I think my issue is more the disregard for Bronny as a prospect than the #1 pick stuff lol. LIS, only Portland could potentially take that route and even then it's a moot point since they likely don't end up that bad again unless Dame doesn't play most of the year as happened in 2022-23. But Bronny as a "non-prospect" is just nonsense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Honestly, I think my issue is more the disregard for Bronny as a prospect than the #1 pick stuff lol. LIS, only Portland could potentially take that route and even then it's a moot point since they likely don't end up that bad again unless Dame doesn't play most of the year as happened in 2022-23. But Bronny as a "non-prospect" is just nonsense. 

I think he can definitely go in the first round, I just don't view him as a lottery level prospect. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

If Bronny balls out enough to be an early pick, I'll be surprised. Boogie and Collier will be USC's two best players.

Boogie and Collier will be the usage guys because Bronny isn't super aggressive nor ball dominant and plays his role to a T. Doesn't mean anything IRT the NBA draft process honestly.