ESPN lets go of substantial NFL coverage staff

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Some of these are crazy. Todd mcshay? Suzy freaking Kolber?

Other sports were hit some too. Jalen rose was let go (I assume he ends up at the ringer) and some others

And yet Kendrick Perkins still has a job...WTF ??

• Like 2

Damn, losing Kolber and Max Kellerman is a huge L for them in my opinion. Some of the names I see that are sticking around...my goodness. Kendrick Perkins? Marcus Spears???

Pat McAfee...he seems whatever, and I've never really warmed up to his show, but good for him I guess. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Pat McAfee...he seems whatever, and I've never really warmed up to his show, but good for him I guess. 

Not for me either, but he draws eyeballs. He has a pretty good product.

I don't really see any problems with these names, and I didn't see any journalists listed. I see Suzy Kolber, Keyshawn, Jalen Rose, Steve Young.

A bunch of names who mean something to Gen X, but if you are 25 years old, you care about Keyshawn? Course not. 

Really good time to trim some fat. Bring in some younger former players with personality, let them milk ESPN for a decade, then get cut themselves. This all seems normal to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, massraider said:

Not for me either, but he draws eyeballs. He has a pretty good product.

I don't really see any problems with these names, and I didn't see any journalists listed. I see Suzy Kolber, Keyshawn, Jalen Rose, Steve Young.

A bunch of names who mean something to Gen X, but if you are 25 years old, you care about Keyshawn? Course not. 

Really good time to trim some fat. Bring in some younger former players with personality, let them milk ESPN for a decade, then get cut themselves. This all seems normal to me. 

The question with McAfee is whether people will still find him as entertaining when his show has to be watered down for TV. 

• Like 1

Curious how many of these people let go were close to getting a larger retirement package from ESPN? I'd assume like most companies compensation/retirement packages, 401K, investments, ect...., go up as your years increase at ESPN.

Put in 15, 20, 25, 30 years certain plateaus are met so instead of allowing that to occur, lets fire/force retirement early before they can collect? Not the only employer doing these things, that's for sure.

Edited by Nabbs4u

Max Kellerman sucks. I'm glad he's gone.

It's not like I think ESPN is going to improve though. They went away from actual sports coverage and toward idiots pretending to have drama with each other long ago. I'm sure that will only get worse. I look forward to more bimbos-of-the-month pretending to know sports and recycling whatever New York centric talking points their producer gives them in show prep.

• Like 5

Matt Miller faking his way all the way to ESPN is one of the craziest things I've ever seen. From a dude who was just god awful on Bleacher Report and openly talked about not watching college football to somehow becoming an draft expert. How he kept his job over McShay I will never know? This is just unbelievable. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Max Kellerman sucks. I'm glad he's gone.

It's not like I think ESPN is going to improve though. They went away from actual sports coverage and toward idiots pretending to have drama with each other long ago. I'm sure that will only get worse. I look forward to more bimbos-of-the-month pretending to know sports and recycling whatever New York centric talking points their producer gives them in show prep.

I was with you until the bimbos rant.