Week 14: VIKINGS (10-2) at Panthers (8-4)

swede700

21 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Here's hoping Gregg Olsen's inside scoop doesn't bite us.... O.o

The best teams in the league are the ones that can overcome their disadvantages.

And maybe this isn't a major disadvantage (he was going to watch film on us anyways), but we've been overcoming a lot of things this year so why stop now?

Carolina will be another fun yet tough matchup. Being away may seem like it doesn't mean as much for us this year, as we've only lost one on the road, but they are still tough games. Carolina does look to have weaknesses where we have strengths, but we could still easily lose this one. Cam has looked decent recently, and their defense is not too shabby. IMO, the biggest key to our success will be our O-line. If we can match well against their front 7, and continue to have a consistent run game, we will open up more passing opportunities and should be able to outscore them. The Carolina offense seems to be more of a boom or bust group. The only person that really scares me as far as matchups is Olsen, but I don't know if he'll play or even be 100%. McCaffery is a wildcard just like Newton, and either of them could pull off some magic, but if we stick to what we've been doing on defense, there shouldn't be too much of a problem containing them. Also, it seems like our pass rush and pressure production has dropped off some in the past few weeks. Maybe this is just a product of seeing less sacks on the stat sheet, maybe it's because our linemen are getting a bit worn down, or maybe we are still getting the pressures (which matters just as much) without the sack at the end. This week we have a favorable matchup going against the Carolina O-line, simply because they have Matt Kalil. I hope we eat his breakfast all day, and being that we know him and how he plays, our ends should be able to make him look silly. I think if we get a score early and stop the Carolina O from sustaining drives, Cam will get frustrated, much like Winston did when we played the Bucs, and we could then really take the advantage.

36 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Carolina will be another fun yet tough matchup. Being away may seem like it doesn't mean as much for us this year, as we've only lost one on the road, but they are still tough games. Carolina does look to have weaknesses where we have strengths, but we could still easily lose this one. Cam has looked decent recently, and their defense is not too shabby. IMO, the biggest key to our success will be our O-line. If we can match well against their front 7, and continue to have a consistent run game, we will open up more passing opportunities and should be able to outscore them. The Carolina offense seems to be more of a boom or bust group. The only person that really scares me as far as matchups is Olsen, but I don't know if he'll play or even be 100%. McCaffery is a wildcard just like Newton, and either of them could pull off some magic, but if we stick to what we've been doing on defense, there shouldn't be too much of a problem containing them. Also, it seems like our pass rush and pressure production has dropped off some in the past few weeks. Maybe this is just a product of seeing less sacks on the stat sheet, maybe it's because our linemen are getting a bit worn down, or maybe we are still getting the pressures (which matters just as much) without the sack at the end. This week we have a favorable matchup going against the Carolina O-line, simply because they have Matt Kalil. I hope we eat his breakfast all day, and being that we know him and how he plays, our ends should be able to make him look silly. I think if we get a score early and stop the Carolina O from sustaining drives, Cam will get frustrated, much like Winston did when we played the Bucs, and we could then really take the advantage.

Yeah, it’s hard to get overly optimistic about a road game against a solid Carolina team. And there’s that cautiously optimistic vibe we all have....we’re Vikings fans after all ;). This won’t be an e z game, but the Vikings are most definitely the superior team. Maybe it’s time to just accept that the Vikings are this good.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

your seat is waiting for you at the party.

I definitely accept that the Vikes are very very good, but through repetition I have most definitely been conditioned to expect a fallout or meltdown. In my life, however, that "hope for the best, expect the worst" has really come in handy.

19 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

In the case of football, they definitely don't, but in life they absolutely can correlate.

.... i still have nightmares from '98

We're still experiencing repeat events from history on a daily basis in the national news.  ;)

Like I said earlier, though....only when someone does the dirty bird do the night terrors re-emerge.  O.o

Vikings DE Danielle Hunter and Panthers G Trai Turner were teammates at LSU from 2012-13. Panthers WR Russell Shepard was also at LSU in 2012.

Panthers G Andrew Norwell (2010-13) and Vikings C Pat Elflein (2012-16) were teammates at Ohio State.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Game-Preview-Vikings-at-Panthers/272cd0b1-3d3d-4b73-bcb7-67ad6c505890

On 12/4/2017 at 10:23 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I worry about this game because I don't think we match up well. I think of this team as a much improved Cleveland Browns team (and yeah we beat them by 17 but they gave us trouble in the first half)

Quick, somebody tell me I'm wrong!

-Funchess is a #2 WR caliber WR at best.
-Newton looked like a 3rd grader playing QB against our defense last year (and this D is BETTER)
-Their LT is Matt Kalil which will mean their TEs will need to help against Griffen and Hunter which will take them out some route running. If they do go out on routes, that will leave McCfferty in to block.
-Hunter is more than capable of containing Newton's scrambling

Panthers fan here. I've watched a lot of your games this year and i'm a big Mike Zimmer fan, also one of my close mates is a packers fan so I cheer for the Vikings often!

Ultimately I think if you stop Cam running, then you will win the game. Our Defense is very good, as is yours. Our O line is ok but Kalil is such a liability and was owned by Cameron Jordan on Sunday, Griffin is a beast so thats a huge advantage.

Our receivers are poor too, and your corners and safeties are very very good. So I am not confident of a win to be honest. I think we need Olsen back so badly and maybe that can make a difference to have a reliable 3rd down option especially if you stop Newton taking off. Funchess is a good no. 2 receiver but the others are poor and our run game is very bad. The Jets did a good job on pressure and New Orleans cut Cam off for the most part. I think we made huge mistakes against the Saints, they were better anyway, but without those we would have at least been in the game.

Our D will need to shutdown the run game and we have to try limit Theilen, who is soooo good. Hopefully its a good game but id imagine its low scoring. Right now we are +2.5 on betfair which sounds right.

Hope for no injuries and glad Romo is calling the game.

Archived