Week 14: VIKINGS (10-2) at Panthers (8-4)

swede700

Cam is similar to Ryan in that they both don't like one thing: pain.

Disrupt him early and often, make sure he feels pressure every single snap and he will commit errors. I expect some turnovers for our defense, maybe even the first score of the year by them.

On offense, it will be tough. They have a tremendous front 7. We need to exploit the secondary. I expect quite some big play tries from Shurmur.

I'm optimistic that we can take this one.

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Worried about McCaffrey.

This should be his game to show he can be a every down back. I realize we have been stopping these types of RB’s... He is different.

I'm not concerned. He's been outplayed by a handful of rookie RBs. With Barr, Kendricks, Smith all roaming around the second level, I don't expect much from McCaffrey. I'm more worried about Cam in space and running the option.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera’s a minimalist. Asked to describe the tackling of his team during Sunday’s loss to the Saints, he offered a blunt response.

“Bad,” Rivera said, via Jourdan Rodrigue of the Charlotte Observer. “There’s no other word for it.”

The difference in their effort was backed up by the stats. They entered the game ranked second in the league in total defense, but fell to sixth this week. That kind of drop is rare this time of year when the sample size is bigger. Then again, the Saints did rack up 400 yards on them (about 120 over their previous average).

Defensive coordinator Steve Wilks offered a more detailed approach, and promised an increased emphasis in practice tomorrow.

“When I say I take ‘full responsibility,’ when you see so many guys across the board missing tackles, not just one guy, I’m not saying we weren’t prepared but evidently we need to have a little bit more consistency in most important details,” Wilks said. “And that starts with me. I always say this: There are three reasons why a player is not doing what you want him to do. One, he doesn’t know. And if he doesn’t know, it’s our fault, my fault, as coaches. No. 2, it doesn’t mean anything to him. He doesn’t take pride in the details. And then No. 3, he can’t do it. Lack of talent, lost his step, not strong enough. Well, we all know it’s not No. 3. And it’s not No. 2 because guys don’t go out there to miss tackles. So therefore, I’m putting the focus back on myself and the coaches.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/05/panthers-coaches-frustrated-by-bad-tackling/

27 minutes ago, milanb said:

The Panthers are at home, fighting for a wildcard spot. And they are coming off a poor effort against a division rival.

I expect to see their A game here.

I still think their A game is of a B- level.  They've never impressed me...even during their Super Bowl season, I thought they were an eminently beatable team, as they had a soft schedule that year and paid the price the next year.  I feel the same way this year, even though their schedule has been a little bit more difficult than during their SB season...as evident by their win at New England but then, of course, lose at Chicago 3 weeks later.  

They are certainly solid defensively, but I don't believe they are good enough offensively to overcome any issues that may occur on defense, so if the Vikings can continue to cash in on red-zone appearances as they have been, this game won't be close.  But, if they don't, then that gives the Panthers the opportunity to keep it close, which has been the situation in half of their wins (4-1 in games decided by 7 pts or less, 4-3 in others).  

It looks like the Panthers will be getting tight end Greg Olsen back in the lineup for Sunday’s game against the Vikings. Olsen returned from eight weeks on injured reserve with a broken foot to play in the team’s Week 12 game against the Jets, but sat out the second half after experiencing soreness in that foot. He sat out last week’s loss to the Saints, but was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice. Coach Ron Rivera said that Olsen will not be on a “pitch count” this week, which suggests that the Panthers expect to have him available for Sunday as long as there aren’t any setbacks with the foot between now and then.

Foot injuries did keep running back Jonathan Stewart and linebacker Shaq Thompson from practicing. Rivera said Thompson is dealing with plantar fasciitis and it looks like he’ll miss this week’s game as a result of the injury.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/06/greg-olsen-returns-for-full-practice/

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I think Alexander has filled in just fine. I'd rather take the savings. Munnerlyn was a frustrating player here. 

I disagree. Munnerlyn was very very solid last year. But I am definitely happy with the extra cap space and younger talent.

Archived