Jerry Reese Fired

mattbags2313

Jerry Reese has many good moments as GM, but he had to go at this point. He survived one coach firing, got to choose his own and it went down as a colossal failure. He made some great signings last off-season that propelled us into the playoffs. By the end of each of those contracts, the guys will be overpaid but it doesn't change the fact that he hit on each of them. You can argue his draft record both ways, it's just a matter of perspective. In my opinion, you need to hit on the middle round guys to have a chance in this league and we just haven't done that. All of that being said, he is being fired because of McAdoo and McAdoo alone. The way this thing has gone down this year is almost unfathomable, and it has nothing to do with our current record. It's the communication breakdowns, the loss of the locker room, etc. 

26 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

You can argue his draft record both ways, it's just a matter of perspective.

I am not sure how any one can argue in favor of his draft. He hit on most of his first round picks, did alright  with his second round picks and was pretty bad from the 3rd round on.

I was a huge fan of Reese his first couples years. I mean, why wouldn't you like a guy who had a great first draft and Superbowl in his first year? But then he started stinking it up in the draft, but what really killed it for me is how defensive he began to get about how bad his drafts were. Like, he had some AWFUL drafts, and he would be extremely defensive and snarky with reporters about how they weren't that bad. That's when I knew his time here was coming to and end.

1 hour ago, Go_Giants said:

I am not sure how any one can argue in favor of his draft. He hit on most of his first round picks, did alright  with his second round picks and was pretty bad from the 3rd round on.

Eh his 1st round pick track record isn't even that great, especially when you considers that's his "claim to fame."

Success:
JPP
Justin Pugh
Odell Beckham Jr
Evan Engram (Jury still out, BUT I'll be generous since he's looked great SO far)

Meh:
Aaron Ross
Kenny Phillips
Hakeem Nicks
Eli Apple (Jury still out)

Bust:
Prince Amukamara
David Wilson
Ereck Flowers

One major stud in OBJ. A borderline stud in JPP. Then a solid starter. In 10 years, that's the best he has to show for? Along with 3 complete busts, and 4 disappointing players. Still a mediocre 1st round track record.

12 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

Eh his 1st round pick track record isn't even that great, especially when you considers that's his "claim to fame."

Success:
Aaron Ross
JPP
Justin Pugh
Odell Beckham Jr
Evan Engram (Jury still out, BUT I'll be generous since he's looked great SO far)

Meh:
Kenny Phillips
Hakeem Nicks
Eli Apple (Jury still out)

Bust:
Prince Amukamara
David Wilson
Ereck Flowers

One major stud in OBJ. A borderline stud in JPP. Then two solid starters. In 10 years, that's the best he has to show for? Along with 3 complete busts, and 3 disappointing players. Still a mediocre 1st round track record.

His first rounders were mostly very good. He was just undone by them being injured. There’s nothing he could’ve done by David Wilson. Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Phillips were darn good players before injuries ended their career, I don’t understand how Aaron Ross is a success but Nicks, Phillips and Prince aren’t. The only bust that you can say he has is Flowers. His first and second rounders were for the most part good. 

18 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

His first rounders were mostly very good. He was just undone by them being injured. There’s nothing he could’ve done by David Wilson. Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Phillips were darn good players before injuries ended their career, I don’t understand how Aaron Ross is a success but Nicks, Phillips and Prince aren’t. The only bust that you can say he has is Flowers. His first and second rounders were for the most part good. 

Aaron Ross had a long, productive, and consistent career... unlike Phillips and Nicks. They were both 5 year players. Neither ever made a Pro Bowl or All-Pro. For such short careers, neither of their "peaks" were dominant enough to be hallmark 1st rounders. Eli Apple had a decent rookie year, and he's been awful this year. Jury is still out on him, which is why he's in the "meh" group. Wilsons injuries are unfortunate, and obviously there's no way Reese could've foreseen that, but that doesn't just wipe him from the Giants history books. He was a 1st round pick who produced very still for this franchise. Fair or unfair, it's part of Reese resume. 

As I said, he hasn't been bad on 1st rounders. Just not that great.

EDIT: just checked Ross's career. It wasn't as long as I remembered lol. His first stint with us was only 5 years, as well. So he prob belongs in the "meh" category, too.

1 minute ago, w4rrior723 said:

Aaron Ross had a long, productive, and consistent career... unlike Phillips and Nicks. They were both 5 year players. Neither ever made a Pro Bowl or All-Pro. For such short careers, neither of their "peaks" were dominant enough to be hallmark 1st rounders. Eli Apple had a decent rookie year, and he's been awful this year. Jury is still out on him, which is why he's in the "meh" group. Wilsons injuries are unfortunate, and obviously there's no way Reese could've foreseen that, but that doesn't just wipe him from the Giants history books. He was a 1st round pick who produced very still for this franchise. Fair or unfair, it's part of Reese resume. 

Before the injuries Nicks was a very good player. He was a force in 2011, we don't win a Super Bowl with out him on the team.

7 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

ross was injury prone and average at best,. Never played up to being a first rounder

3 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

What? 

Aaron Ross had a long productive career? He got drafted in 07. Left in 2011. And he was out the NFL 2 Year’s later. That’s is not long and productive. Heck he wasn’t even very good. Nicks was a borderline top 5 receiver at one point. Kenny Phillips was gonna be a damn good safety, heck he was for a brief period before his knee gave out. Those two were easily bigger contributors to our team.

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Heck Prince was better player than Ross. 

i agree, i dont even think that comparison is close actually. Prince is good and probably would still be a giant if we didnt go buck wild spending that off-season. His problem is more injuries than talent. I actually remember hating ross lol

Archived