Jerry Reese Fired

mattbags2313

10 minutes ago, mattbags2313 said:

ross was injury prone and average at best,. Never played up to being a first rounder

On Draft Day, 2007, when the Giants chose Aaron Ross, Mel Kiper howled with disbelief and disgust that they had passed up on some offensive tackle named "Staley", who went later in the first round to San Francisco, I think it was. Aaaah, shut up, I thought at the TV screen, while Kiper ranted. Turned out he was right.:$

Image result for Mel Kiper

1 minute ago, bzane said:

On Draft Day, 2007, when the Giants chose Aaron Ross, Mel Kiper howled with disbelief and disgust that they had passed up on some offensive tackle named "Staley", who went later in the first round to San Francisco, I think it was. Aaaah, shut up, I thought at the TV screen, while Kiper ranted. Turned out he was right.:$

we also passed on todd gurley for erick flowers lol list goes on and on brotha. all we can do now is thank god its over!!

17 minutes ago, mattbags2313 said:

i agree, i dont even think that comparison is close actually. Prince is good and probably would still be a giant if we didnt go buck wild spending that off-season. His problem is more injuries than talent. I actually remember hating ross lol

I was disgusted by the Ross pick at the time as well tbh lol. But then I remember him having a solid rookie year and being a solid if unspectacular contributor for several seasons. Looking back, it admittedly wasn't as long as I remembered. So I'll put him in that 2nd category. I have to consider Prince a failed pick, though, given that he was a top-end first rounder and was never anything more than an okay starter and he only played out his rookie contract for us.

24 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

I was disgusted by the Ross pick at the time as well tbh lol. But then I remember him having a solid rookie year and being a solid if unspectacular contributor for several seasons. Looking back, it admittedly wasn't as long as I remembered. So I'll put him in that 2nd category. I have to consider Prince a failed pick, though, given that he was a top-end first rounder and was never anything more than an okay starter and he only played out his rookie contract for us.

every single one of reese's pick only played on a rookie contract except JPP. I think only reason we let prince walk was cause we signed jenkins, otherwise he was coming back

3 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

I was a huge fan of Reese his first couples years. I mean, why wouldn't you like a guy who had a great first draft and Superbowl in his first year? But then he started stinking it up in the draft, but what really killed it for me is how defensive he began to get about how bad his drafts were. Like, he had some AWFUL drafts, and he would be extremely defensive and snarky with reporters about how they weren't that bad. That's when I knew his time here was coming to and end.

Yea back in 2008 he couldn't do any wrong in my eyes. I remember rocking an "In Reese We Trust" sig. But it's been downhill since. His 2007 class was masterful.

15 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

Not to keep going back to this but Prince was 19th overall pick while Ross was 20th overall pick. Both players were only here for their rookie contracts and Prince was a better player than Ross ever was. 

One of the valid criticisms of Reese is his rigidity in drafting. Rarely moved up or traded down in particular. 2009 couldve been pretty good. Nicks, Beatty, Sintim and Andre Brown. 2011-13. Sheesh. Either injuries impeding development or flat out misses like “the JPP of TE’s”

i just read that Jerry Reese isn’t even the one who ran the drafts. It’s Marc Ross. 

Early in Reese's career as GM he was known for nailing rounds 1 and 2 then getting nothing out of his picks in later rounds. This transitioned recently to busting hard with top 10 picks and still getting nothing in the later rounds. He had to go. 

Looking at his drafting history, it is amazing how bad he was with 3rd round picks. His best was Mario Manningham and his 2nd best was Jay Bromley, who has Coughlin pick written all over him. In almost 10 years, how can you not make a better third round pick than Mario Manningham?

I know it seems like I defend Reese, we’ve known for a while now that when it comes to drafting it’s not one guy who makes the picks. It’s an organisational decision. Reese is the guy that makes the final decision if there are conflicts or disputes regarding picks. He was director of player personnel from 2002. So in that vain you can’t just act like his resume is from 2007 onwards. 

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Early in Reese's career as GM he was known for nailing rounds 1 and 2 then getting nothing out of his picks in later rounds. This transitioned recently to busting hard with top 10 picks and still getting nothing in the later rounds. He had to go. 

Looking at his drafting history, it is amazing how bad he was with 3rd round picks. His best was Mario Manningham and his 2nd best was Jay Bromley, who has Coughlin pick written all over him. In almost 10 years, how can you not make a better third round pick than Mario Manningham?

@minutemancl- Hi, minuteman. I agree with you that the 3rd round has been the Bermuda Triangle for Jerry Reese's drafting. Mostly whiffs, and a lot of good players passed up. Would it be fair to say, though, that the proverbial jury is still out on Darian Thompson and Davis Webb?

1 2017 3
2 2016 3
3 2015 3
4 2014 3
5 2013 3
6 2012 3
7 2011 3
8 2010 3
9 2009 3
10 2009 3
11 2008 3
12 2007 3
Rk Year Rnd Pick   Pos DrAge From To AP1 PB St CarAV G GS QBrec Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ  
1 2017 3 87 Davis Webb QB 22     0 0 0                                   California College Stats
2 2016 3 71 Darian Thompson S 22 2016 2017 0 0 1 0 14 13                         1   Boise St. College Stats
3 2015 3 74 Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE 23 2015 2016 0 0 0 1 18 0                             UCLA College Stats
4 2014 3 74 Jay Bromley DT 22 2014 2017 0 0 0 5 51 4                           2.0 Syracuse College Stats
5 2013 3 81 Damontre Moore DE 20 2013 2017 0 0 0 4 52 0                           10.0 Texas A&M College Stats
6 2012 3 94 Jayron Hosley DB 21 2012 2015 0 0 0 7 43 15                         2   Virginia Tech College Stats
7 2011 3 83 Jerrel Jernigan WR 22 2011 2014 0 0 0 2 34 4             4 61 1 38 391 2     Troy College Stats
8 2010 3 76 Chad Jones DB       0 0 0                                   LSU College Stats
9 2009 3 85 Ramses Barden WR 23 2009 2012 0 0 0 4 29 1                   29 394 0     Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo  
10 2009 3 100 Travis Beckum TE 22 2009 2012 0 0 0 2 48 4                   26 264 3     Wisconsin College Stats
11 2008 3 95 Mario Manningham WR 22 2008 2013 0 0 4 23 67 41             5 54 0 211 2849 19     Michigan College Stats
12 2007 3 81 Jay Alford DT 24 2007 2010 0 0 0 4 36 3

2 hours ago, bzane said:

@minutemancl- Hi, minuteman. I agree with you that the 3rd round has been the Bermuda Triangle for Jerry Reese's drafting. Mostly whiffs, and a lot of good players passed up. Would it be fair to say, though, that the proverbial jury is still out on Darian Thompson and Davis Webb?

1 2017 3
2 2016 3
3 2015 3
4 2014 3
5 2013 3
6 2012 3
7 2011 3
8 2010 3
9 2009 3
10 2009 3
11 2008 3
12 2007 3
Rk Year Rnd Pick   Pos DrAge From To AP1 PB St CarAV G GS QBrec Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ  
1 2017 3 87 Davis Webb QB 22     0 0 0                                   California College Stats
2 2016 3 71 Darian Thompson S 22 2016 2017 0 0 1 0 14 13                         1   Boise St. College Stats
3 2015 3 74 Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE 23 2015 2016 0 0 0 1 18 0                             UCLA College Stats
4 2014 3 74 Jay Bromley DT 22 2014 2017 0 0 0 5 51 4                           2.0 Syracuse College Stats
5 2013 3 81 Damontre Moore DE 20 2013 2017 0 0 0 4 52 0                           10.0 Texas A&M College Stats
6 2012 3 94 Jayron Hosley DB 21 2012 2015 0 0 0 7 43 15                         2   Virginia Tech College Stats
7 2011 3 83 Jerrel Jernigan WR 22 2011 2014 0 0 0 2 34 4             4 61 1 38 391 2     Troy College Stats
8 2010 3 76 Chad Jones DB       0 0 0                                   LSU College Stats
9 2009 3 85 Ramses Barden WR 23 2009 2012 0 0 0 4 29 1                   29 394 0     Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo  
10 2009 3 100 Travis Beckum TE 22 2009 2012 0 0 0 2 48 4                   26 264 3     Wisconsin College Stats
11 2008 3 95 Mario Manningham WR 22 2008 2013 0 0 4 23 67 41             5 54 0 211 2849 19     Michigan College Stats
12 2007 3 81 Jay Alford DT 24 2007 2010 0 0 0 4 36 3

my god talk about uselss. Bromley looks like the only guy that will amount to anything. I think DT looks bad, cant tackle and coverage skills suck which was supposed to be his strength. I think Adams should of been starting over him all year

It's all somewhat subjective based on how you define a hit vs. a miss. IMO, your job as a GM is to evaluate talent to draft good players. Overall, there are FAR more misses than hits across the league. And if you were a contributor for multiple years, either on the Giants or subsequently other teams, that should be counted.

2007: Aaron Ross, Steve Smith, Zak DeOssie, Kevin Boss (before injury) and Ahmad Bradshaw were all good picks.

2008: Kenny Phillips, Mario Manningham

2009: Hakeem Nicks, Will Beatty (arguable but was our starting LT before injuries derailed him)

2010: JPP, Linval Joseph

2011: Prince Amukamara (arguable, can see either way but he's still in the league contibuting albeit not to the level he should be based on where he was drafted)

2012: David Wilson cannot be judged, nothing else in this class (very bad). This is the class that should be in their primes right now and is a big reason why we had to spend so much money last year.

2013: Justin Pugh, Johnathan Hankins

2014: Odell Beckham Jr., Weston Richburg, Jay Bromley, Nat Berhe and Devon Kennard. Very good class.

2015: Landon Collins, Bobby Hart (a borderline starter in the 7th round is a hit). Ereck Flowers is right on the edge of complete bust. There is still time but I don't see him turning it around.

2016: Mostly jury still out but Eli Apple, Sterling Shepard, Darian Thompson, B.J. Goodson, Paul Perkins and Jerell Adams have all contributed early in their careers. Based on where they were drafted, none of them can be considered misses (YET).

2017: Obviously very early but Evan Engram, Dalvin Tomlinson, and Wayne Gallman look good so far. David Webb is impossible to judge, and Avery Moss hasn't done much but is getting time, which is a good sign.

This is just one component though. At the end of the day, we had too many subpar seasons and he is responsible for the hiring of McAdoo. Jerry Reese is a class act but a fresh start is needed. Let's hope we hire the right guys.

It's all somewhat subjective based on how you define a hit vs. a miss. IMO, your job as a GM is to evaluate talent to draft good players. Overall, there are FAR more misses than hits across the league. And if you were a contributor for multiple years, either on the Giants or subsequently other teams, that should be counted.

2007: Aaron Ross, Steve Smith, Zak DeOssie, Kevin Boss (before injury) and Ahmad Bradshaw were all good picks.

2008: Kenny Phillips, Mario Manningham

2009: Hakeem Nicks, Will Beatty (arguable but was our starting LT before injuries derailed him)

2010: JPP, Linval Joseph

2011: Prince Amukamara (arguable, can see either way but he's still in the league contibuting albeit not to the level he should be based on where he was drafted)

2012: David Wilson cannot be judged, nothing else in this class (very bad). This is the class that should be in their primes right now and is a big reason why we had to spend so much money last year.

2013: Justin Pugh, Johnathan Hankins

2014: Odell Beckham Jr., Weston Richburg, Jay Bromley, Nat Berhe and Devon Kennard. Very good class.

2015: Landon Collins, Bobby Hart (a borderline starter in the 7th round is a hit). Ereck Flowers is right on the edge of complete bust. There is still time but I don't see him turning it around.

2016: Mostly jury still out but Eli Apple, Sterling Shepard, Darian Thompson, B.J. Goodson, Paul Perkins and Jerell Adams have all contributed early in their careers. Based on where they were drafted, none of them can be considered misses (YET).

2017: Obviously very early but Evan Engram, Dalvin Tomlinson, and Wayne Gallman look good so far. David Webb is impossible to judge, and Avery Moss hasn't done much but is getting time, which is a good sign.

This is just one component though. At the end of the day, we had too many subpar seasons and he is responsible for the hiring of McAdoo. Jerry Reese is a class act but a fresh start is needed. Let's hope we hire the right guys.

I liked Reese and thought he got a lot out of his picks. We'll miss him. Like you say, Evan Engram, Tomlinson, Gallman, etc were all fantastic picks in 2017 alone. Mara is an idiot for capitulating to irate ignorant fans. 

14 minutes ago, celestial said:

I liked Reese and thought he got a lot out of his picks. We'll miss him. Like you say, Evan Engram, Tomlinson, Gallman, etc were all fantastic picks in 2017 alone. Mara is an idiot for capitulating to irate ignorant fans. 

how could you use the word fantastic? Engram ok sure. But I dont think anyone is labeling Dalvin or wayne fantastic...Wayne has 270 yards and 1 TD on 4 yards  per carry. Thats far from fantastic. and what does etc mean???? You ripped davis webb so clearly no him. Avery moss and bisnowaty qualify as fantastic? jezzzz. 

If he got a lot out of his picks we wouldnt of resigned only 3 draft picks since hes been here. (JPP,DeOssie, and Bradshaw) and 1 first round pick as been resigned. Horrific.

6 minutes ago, mattbags2313 said:

how could you use the word fantastic? Engram ok sure. But I dont think anyone is labeling Dalvin or wayne fantastic...Wayne has 270 yards and 1 TD on 4 yards  per carry. Thats far from fantastic. and what does etc mean???? You ripped davis webb so clearly no him. Avery moss and bisnowaty qualify as fantastic? jezzzz. 

If he got a lot out of his picks we wouldnt of resigned only 3 draft picks since hes been here. (JPP,DeOssie, and Bradshaw) and 1 first round pick as been resigned. Horrific.

We disagree about everything. Davis Webb is garbage. If he wasn't he would have been backup or starting now. For his late round draft status, 4 yards per carry is great production from Gallman. You don't mention Engram and Tomlinson because you know I'm right. Getting a good DT and great TE is enough draft production to keep Reese. Mara runs this franchise off of fan sentiment and idiocy, not sound football decisions. There's no point in putting Eli out there against the Cowboys only for him to throw less accurate passes, move around like molasses, relative to Geno and lose the gotdamn game. Coaches have no intention of starting Webb, man.

4 minutes ago, celestial said:

We disagree about everything. Davis Webb is garbage. If he wasn't he would have been backup or starting now. For his late round draft status, 4 yards per carry is great production from Gallman. You don't mention Engram and Tomlinson because you know I'm right. Getting a good DT and great TE is enough draft production to keep Reese. Mara runs this franchise off of fan sentiment and idiocy, not sound football decisions. There's no point in putting Eli out there against the Cowboys only for him to throw less accurate passes, move around like molasses, relative to Geno and lose the gotdamn game. Coaches have no intention of starting Webb, man.

How thick headed are you?? Reread my post "engram ok sure" I agreed with that. I also said "I dont think anyone is labeling Dalvin or Wayne fantastic yet"  They very well could be. Too early to use the word fantastic. OBJ was "fantastic" at this point his rookie year. If Wayne was "fantastic" he would of took over the starting job by now

Archived