Jerry Reese Fired

mattbags2313

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

This is how we don’t know nearly as much as we think. Say you hold Jerry responsible for every pick he has made as a GM, 2007 and 2008 were very good classes. Why is it for example he drafted in 2011 and 2012 were so poor. Why? Did he forget how to draft in those years?

Reese admitted himself that he was going for too may home runs with his draft for a period of time. Those home run attempts were boom or bust  players, and he mostly got  bust for a good stretch of time.

5 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

This is how we don’t know nearly as much as we think. Say you hold Jerry responsible for every pick he has made as a GM, 2007 and 2008 were very good classes. Why is it for example he drafted in 2011 and 2012 were so poor. Why? Did he forget how to draft in those years?

maybe his values and what he looks for worked for those draft classes and no others. One thing we all know is Jerry loved raw talent (JPP, apple, wilson, flowers) He was also a sucker for athletic freaks. Its not a bad things, just leaves room for error

5 minutes ago, celestial said:

It's true. None of the above guys are "scouts" like you said they are. You have no evidence NFL scouts rated Kamara as a 1st round RB. So your argument fails there.

Where do you think NFL.com gets their information from. There is a scout quote on the page itself. Also this stuff was out there around the draft, kinda hard to rewatch what analysts/scouts say on moments notice dont ya think......considering you cant...

32 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Any GM who picks over so many years will have underperforming years. That's just the nature of averages.

24 minutes ago, mattbags2313 said:

Where do you think NFL.com gets their information from. There is a scout quote on the page itself. Also this stuff was out there around the draft, kinda hard to rewatch what analysts/scouts say on moments notice dont ya think......considering you cant...

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Lance Zeirlein is the one that rates the players, not a NFL scout. There's no scout quote on the page. Charles Davis is not a scout.

2 minutes ago, celestial said:

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Lance Zeirlein is the one that rates the players, not a NFL scout. There's no scout quote on the page. Charles Davis is not a scout.

Charles Davis is a former player and analyst. I used the word analyst. Go anywhere you want you will find the same results. Football analysts and scouts arent far off in opinion. Neither are media outlets such as the ones i posted, cbs, nbc, espn and etc. Giving a player a round 1-2 grade and he is taken in the third isnt some ridiculous claim. It has happened a trillion times before and will continue to happen  for however long the game exists

2 hours ago, mattbags2313 said:

maybe his values and what he looks for worked for those draft classes and no others. One thing we all know is Jerry loved raw talent (JPP, apple, wilson, flowers) He was also a sucker for athletic freaks. Its not a bad things, just leaves room for error

So basically we’re playing the results? If they work out he’s a genius but if they fail he’s a fool? 

47 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

So basically we’re playing the results? If they work out he’s a genius but if they fail he’s a fool? 

I was just making a suggestion based off what i know. Anytime a guy is questionable drafted Reese hammers on their athleticism and hopes the skills jut developed. For earlier rounds it worked most of the time because the guys have are better players aside from being athletic freaks. However later round picks (Adrian Robinson the JPP of TEs, Ramses barden who we traded up for just cause he was 6’7,) just a few examples of guys that have failed because they were more athletes than football players or just simply weren’t meant to pan out in the pros 

On 06/12/2017 at 1:55 AM, mattbags2313 said:

My biggest issue with his picks is their lack of longevity. None of them last past their rookie deal, not even 1st round picks who are supposed to be franchise building blocks. So help me godddddd if we let OBJ walk I’ll jump off the stadium 

I mean how many of those are due to injuries or simply not being able to afford them. Even JPP he very easily could’ve been another one of those guys. 

On 06/12/2017 at 1:27 AM, mattbags2313 said:

I was just making a suggestion based off what i know. Anytime a guy is questionable drafted Reese hammers on their athleticism and hopes the skills jut developed. For earlier rounds it worked most of the time because the guys have are better players aside from being athletic freaks. However later round picks (Adrian Robinson the JPP of TEs, Ramses barden who we traded up for just cause he was 6’7,) just a few examples of guys that have failed because they were more athletes than football players or just simply weren’t meant to pan out in the pros 

I mean that’s the thing though. There isn’t a clear and concise way to draft guys in the middle-late rounds. I don’t blame him for that approach but we only criticise him when it don’t work.

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I mean how many of those are due to injuries or simply not being able to afford them. Even JPP he very easily could’ve been another one of those guys. 

I mean that’s the thing though. There isn’t a clear and concise way to draft guys in the middle-late rounds. I don’t blame him for that approach but we only criticise him when it don’t work.

Very true to your second point, I’m not sure. As rounds go on he should be looking for more “football players” and not diamonds in the rough. There’s certain guys we have drafted that I immediately lost my mind. Even in the later rounds. I’m not gonna rattle off every player but for example remember Andre Williams from BC? I snapped when we made that pick. He lacked so many qualities of an NFL RB, to top it off he went his whole college career without catching a football once. Sometimes I watch the draft unfold and I wish I could sit next to him because I need to know what he sees in certain players. 

Archived