Week 14 GDT: Jacksonville Jaguars (8-4) vs. Seattle Seahawks (8-4)

.Buzz

Ngakoue and Fowler need to stay in standard pass rush lanes when rushing. If they don’t, Wilson is going to destroy them breaking contain. But if they do, and can limit what he does with his legs against us, I don’t think that offense is going to make many big plays on us.

28 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

Wilson didn't just escape outside the tackles though. He also escapes right up the middle.

Less worried about Campbell (when he’s inside), Malik and Dareus not filling lanes correctly than I am those two on the end. Those three seem to rarely find themselves out of proper positioning.

I'm not in favor of them just keeping contain. Russell Wilson is a good passer and he'll pick us apart if given the time to sit in the pocket all day. This is seriously going to be a test because we're going up against arguably a top 5 QB in the world right now (top 3 probably). 

He is able to sit in the pocket and throw accurate passes with precision and power.  When he is flushed out of the pocket he is able to evade rushers and throw accurate passes downfield  after his WR get the opportunity to run for 5+ seconds. He is one of the best scrambling QBs in the NFL and can be a serious threat with his legs (Note that any game he's gotten more than 70 yards rushing has resulted in a L this season). The only good note is that the pass protection is not great, but again his ability to buy extra time behind the LOS is second to none. 

I feel like the best option would be to have the 2 ends rush up field to contain, but try to cause havoc with interior pressure. Destroy Luke Joeckel. Have our interior rushers collapse the guards into Wilson's lap, while the DEs make sure they are disciplined and ready to contain DangeRuss if he tries to leave that pocket. Tackling must be at it's highest level. 

1 hour ago, Jags said:

I'm not in favor of them just keeping contain. Russell Wilson is a good passer and he'll pick us apart if given the time to sit in the pocket all day. This is seriously going to be a test because we're going up against arguably a top 5 QB in the world right now (top 3 probably). 

I don’t mean I want them to just play contain. That would be awful.

Fowler and Yan both have a tendency to overpersue pass rush lanes, taking long loops to the QB. They push themselves out of the play, but then loop back in to make an impact on the passer. This works okay against stationary QBs. The problem is that any time there’s any kind of delayed run, they open up a huge run lane for a player to scoot through. With someone as actively mobile as Wilson, that gives him a huge lane to run through and gash our defense. Those two need to purposefully collapse the pocket, not run themselves out then go back in.

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I don’t mean I want them to just play contain. That would be awful.

Fowler and Yan both have a tendency to overpersue pass rush lanes, taking long loops to the QB. They push themselves out of the play, but then loop back in to make an impact on the passer. This works okay against stationary QBs. The problem is that any time there’s any kind of delayed run, they open up a huge run lane for a player to scoot through. With someone as actively mobile as Wilson, that gives him a huge lane to run through and gash our defense. Those two need to purposefully collapse the pocket, not run themselves out then go back in.

Trust me, I agree with you. 

We really, really need Telvin to be available for this game. In passing situations, we need one of Telvin/Jack to be on Graham and the other to effectively be playing spy on Wilson.

No one else on the roster can keep with Graham or spy on Wilson. It will be a disaster if Poz or Brown are asked to do either one of those things.

Archived