Eagles 2023 Training Camp Thread: It Begins

Kiltman

There’s so much reaching going on. lol. We have barely a clue how these FOs operate. Little tidbits come out in the media or rumor mills and we cling to them as gospel. I highly doubt we know every little thing and every single person who was it wasn’t responsible for anything. To argue what is essentially hypotheticals is futile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

It doesn't take a genius to see that the coaching staff had an IMMENSE say in who we draft in this org. Just beyond success/failure, you can see stark differences in tendencies between the Andy -> Chip -> Doug -> Sirianni eras.

I don't get it. So when Howie makes bad picks that don't work out we blame the coaching staff? You can't give him credit without giving him the duds too

19 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I don't get it. So when Howie makes bad picks that don't work out we blame the coaching staff? You can't give him credit without giving him the duds too

You can. You can give him credit for putting us in position to make those picks. But like not getting ceedee lamb, and winding up with reagor. That's Howie. Taking reagor over Jefferson, I'd put the blame on Doug primarily, secondary to Howie 

Didn't something come out that both Howie and Doug wanted Reagor and our scouts wanted JJ? If that's the case and I really don't remember seeing anything contrary to that (I could be wrong) then the blame is more on Howie then it is Doug, IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Didn't something come out that both Howie and Doug wanted Reagor and our scouts wanted JJ? If that's the case and I really don't remember seeing anything contrary to that (I could be wrong) then the blame is more on Howie then it is Doug, IMO. 

Howie has a long history of trying to re-create Doug's 2017 success. From a schematic and more specifically from player standpoint. Which I 100% believe was to make Doug Pederson happy.

Alshon-JJAW (possesion/big body WR)

T. Smith/Agholor- Reagor (speedster)

Ertz-Goedert

Peters-Dillard

Graham-Barnett

Sproles-Scott

Reagor-Smitty

Kelce-Dickerson

Kelce-Jurgens 

Cox-Davis-Carter

even

Foles - Hurts to an extent 

aka a reliable #2 QB behind Wentz in case of injury. No one foresaw this unfolding the way it has since that draft pick. This way you are not starting a playoff game with Josh McCown.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

I’m still at 11-6 or 10-7.  Brutal schedule, will be a letdown and more injuries than last year unfortunately.   

Really don’t think it gets tough until after the bye. 11-6 is where I’m at. And that’s being pretty fair I think. We should be about 7-2 before the bye. And about 4-4 after. 

7 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Howie Foles Doug in order. I love Doug too but Howie gave him the tools. Foles excuted the plan and Doug had big balls

Yes but most of those tools werent that good or talented or they were at the end of their careers and old and cheap...which is how Howie got them in the first place.

Doug turned bronze into gold. Doug was by far the most important staff member in 2017 and its not even a debate.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Yes but most of those tools werent that good or talented or they were at the end of their careers and old and cheap...which is how Howie got them in the first place.

Doug turned bronze into gold. Doug was by far the most important staff member in 2017 and its not even a debate.

Debatable 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Howie Foles Doug in order. I love Doug too but Howie gave him the tools. Foles excuted the plan and Doug had big balls

You act as if Foles was some sort of commodity that genius Howie identified. Foles was unplayable at the beginning, it was the coaching staff thanks to the earned bye that were able to coach him and adapt the play calling to his strenghts. All three are important, but the coaching was above them for that season. The NFCCG should leave no doubt on that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

It’s Doug, Foles - Foles has sucked everywhere else he went; Doug had the system that worked and Foles excelled when it mattered most. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Howie has a long history of trying to re-create Doug's 2017 success. From a schematic and more specifically from player standpoint. Which I 100% believe was to make Doug Pederson happy.

Alshon-JJAW (possesion/big body WR)

T. Smith/Agholor- Reagor (speedster)

Ertz-Goedert

Peters-Dillard

Graham-Barnett

Sproles-Scott

Reagor-Smitty

Kelce-Dickerson

Kelce-Jurgens 

Cox-Davis-Carter

even

Foles - Hurts to an extent 

aka a reliable #2 QB behind Wentz in case of injury. No one foresaw this unfolding the way it has since that draft pick. This way you are not starting a playoff game with Josh McCown.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9529rrd8i4g8glswks5e

• Like 2