Eagles 2023 Training Camp Thread: It Begins

Kiltman

2 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Who are we blaming Jalen Reagor on?

Ultimately Howie but it was to fill a specific "Need" Pederson wanted for his offense. Or so he thought. 

A "Possesion WR/Slot WR" which is what most analysts had JJ pegged as, was filled in Doug's eyes already by Agholor.  His own personal pet project 

He needed his Speedster that took the top off the Defense.  Aka Torrey/Desean to play opposite Alshon/JJAW. 👌

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Ultimately Howie but it was to fill a specific "Need" Pederson wanted for his offense. Or so he thought. 

A "Possesion WR/Slot WR" which is what most analysts had JJ pegged as, was filled in Doug's eyes already by Agholor.  His own personal pet project 

He needed his Speedster that took the top off the Defense.  Aka Torrey/Desean to play opposite Alshon/JJAW. 👌

You answered the question in your first two words. The blame (majority) is on Howie - he made the decision to pass on what may end up being the best WR in the NFL for a decade to draft what is likely the worst WR taken in the first round. I’m not interested in getting into the debate of how I viewed Reagor as a prospect but the red flags were always there, Howie just chose to ignore them. 

I think reagor is on howie, but I think draft mistakes like reagor and JJAW are what made him a much better GM at drafting. That was somewhat of a weakness of his until the last couple drafts where it looks like he’s constantly hitting homeruns. Does sirianni have a big influence? Probably, but howie always has the last say and for him to essentially say “I’m just gonna trust that my guys know what they are doing” is a big improvement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

You answered the question in your first two words. The blame (majority) is on Howie - he made the decision to pass on what may end up being the best WR in the NFL for a decade to draft what is likely the worst WR taken in the first round. I’m not interested in getting into the debate of how I viewed Reagor as a prospect but the red flags were always there, Howie just chose to ignore them. 

You ignored the context, as usual. He drafted said player because it "Most likely " was what Doug wanted, Doug desired, Doug needed for his offense to be 2017 type complete! 

Pretend otherwise all you want. 

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You ignored the context, as usual. He drafted said player because it "Most likely " was what Doug wanted, Doug desired, Doug needed for his offense to be 2017 type complete! 

Pretend otherwise all you want. 

I’m not pretending anything - Howie was and is the decision maker, he’s the general manager, his job is to listen to all parties involved including the scouts. It may have been what Doug wanted but Howie is the boss thus the blame lies on him. The scouts, the people they pay to evaluate the talent wanted someone else but Howie, who’s in charge, went against their opinions and drafted a bum. Thats ultimately on Howie. 

27 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Howie, who’s in charge, went against their opinions and drafted a bum. Thats ultimately on Howie. 

A player Doug Pederson from all reports wanted "over" JJ. You want to blame Howie for catering to his HC wishes, the HC who just won him the cities 1st ever SB over his scouts, by all means have at it. He's guilty!

It's the equivalent of Howie ignoring any and all imput his current HC gave him during this years draft. If you honestly believe Sirianni had absolutely no say/suggestions on this current draft class, you're mistaken. 

14 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

A player Doug Pederson from all reports wanted "over" JJ. You want to blame Howie for catering to his HC wishes, the HC who just won him the cities 1st ever SB over his scouts, by all means have at it. He's guilty!

It's the equivalent of Howie ignoring any and all imput his current HC gave him during this years draft. If you honestly believe Sirianni had absolutely no say/suggestions on this current draft class, you're mistaken. 

At no point did I say that Howie ignores anyone’s input. Stop twisting what I’m saying to fit your narrative (which is usual).  As someone said above and I’m not sure who it was - Howie has done a much better job at trusting his guys and not just listening to a singular source and overriding everyone else who is paid to have input. 

Regardless, at the end of the day Howie is to blame what happens to this roster both good and bad. Lets not praise his moves and ignore his faults. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Howie wanted him over JJ just as much, regardless of who Doug wanted. If Howie wanted JJ he would have drafted JJ.

• Like 1

I didn’t want Justin Jefferson during that draft. I’ll admit it. I had JJ as my 4th or 5th wr that draft. My fault is that I bought into the hype that most people did which was “JJ will only be a slot wr in the nfl and nothing more”.

I also bought into the upside reagor supposedly had. That was before he put on like 10 pounds of solid muscle before the 1st season which made him very slow and clanky. Dude didn’t care about making himself a better football player

Probably my worst draft take ever, not gonna lie.lol

14 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

Yes but most of those tools werent that good or talented or they were at the end of their careers and old and cheap...which is how Howie got them in the first place.

Doug turned bronze into gold. Doug was by far the most important staff member in 2017 and its not even a debate.

Weren't that good lol what. That team was stupid good

13 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

You act as if Foles was some sort of commodity that genius Howie identified. Foles was unplayable at the beginning, it was the coaching staff thanks to the earned bye that were able to coach him and adapt the play calling to his strenghts. All three are important, but the coaching was above them for that season. The NFCCG should leave no doubt on that. 

Foles always played pretty damn well here. Also Wentz MVP like season is a big thanks to that bye. Let's not get it twisted 😂

Coaching is cool but I don't think it was Doug out there throwing complete Dots to Corey , Alshon, Ertz, etc.. even caught one himself. Coaching is cool but it's up to the players to do the job at the end of the day. 

10 hours ago, Scalamania said:

It’s Doug, Foles - Foles has sucked everywhere else he went; Doug had the system that worked and Foles excelled when it mattered most. 

That's fine if you believe that about Doug. At the end of the day it's up to the players on the field to execute the plan. God forbid we needed Doug to sling a few

• Like 1