We STILL have to fire Hue Jackson

hornbybrown

There are other factors, as well:  The Browns are LAST in total takeaways with 11.  We are 24th in sacks with 26.  So, yes, I would say we have some defensive work to do.   And this isn't a defensive stat, but it is one that costs us dearly in both points and field position.  We are 13/18 in FG attempts for a 72.2%- that's good for 29th in the league.  So even though this is not a defensive stat, when we miss a FG, and the other team gets it at the spot, that is just a horrible position to put your defense in.  Oh, and the guy who the Browns cut in order to keep Gonzalez?  Cody Parkey?  He's only 18/19 in FG attempts for a 94.7%-tied for third in the league.  I'd like to know who's decision it was to make that move, Mr. Control-of-the-53-Man- Roster Brown.

2 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

There are other factors, as well:  The Browns are LAST in total takeaways with 11.  We are 24th in sacks with 26.  So, yes, I would say we have some defensive work to do.   And this isn't a defensive stat, but it is one that costs us dearly in both points and field position.  We are 13/18 in FG attempts for a 72.2%- that's good for 29th in the league.  So even though this is not a defensive stat, when we miss a FG, and the other team gets it at the spot, that is just a horrible position to put your defense in.  Oh, and the guy who the Browns cut in order to keep Gonzalez?  Cody Parkey?  He's only 18/19 in FG attempts for a 94.7%-tied for third in the league.  I'd like to know who's decision it was to make that move, Mr. Control-of-the-53-Man- Roster Brown.

you forgot our opponents 3rd down conversion rate against us, but I am in 100% agreement with this post.

2 hours ago, duke2056 said:

Then we just disagree.  I think our defense is good right NOW, and about to get a lot better both with additions and also an improved offense.

Our defense is GOOD right now, AND we have 2 big pieces on the IR. I'm thinking we add a CB and maybe a mid/late round DB and we will be GREAT! If we get a decent offense led by a top 18-12 QB in the league I know we could win games. This draft and FA season is going to be key for any future success of this team. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

2 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Why would teams bother to be aggressive enough against us to even put themselves in a position to throw INTs, get sacked, or try and stretch out for that extra yard?

There is a reason the majority of takeaways happen when teams have the lead, something we very rarely have had. 

18 hours ago, mistakey said:

What do you expect him to say about a young rookie QB? If he said he has no confidence in his starter it would be like a dad yelling at his kid:

"Son, I don't like you and you made your mother and I resent eachother!" 

That would have been cruel even by my standards. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

12 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

What do you expect him to say about a young rookie QB? If he said he has no confidence in his starter it would be like a dad yelling at his kid:

"Son, I don't like you and you made your mother and I resent eachother!" 

That would have been cruel even by my standards. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

start cody?

Some more defensive stats that point to us being very average

Near the bottom in Sacks, Ints, and Points per game.

I get that we have improved our run defense

I get that the offense is so bad that if affects our defense

but....let's not act like this D is more than just middle of the pack in the NFL.

If the offense makes significant improvements

If we fill in a few holes on D

If we see some better schemes

This team has the makings of getting a lot better

11 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

but....let's not act like this D is more than just middle of the pack in the NFL.

I'm not that high on our defense either.  I don't think teams plan to attack us on the ground, they run against us because the score dictates it.  Our defensive line is stout and our linebackers are decent, it's in some ways legit.  But I think offenses pretty much take whatever they want 5-15 yards downfield and most of their plan heading into the game is to use the run to keep our rush somewhat modest or preserve a lead.  I don't think it's thrown a wrench in anything, even run reliant teams, want to do against us.

15 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

The turnover ratio is killing this team. We are -25 the next closest team is -15  and as a team we only have 11 takeaways all year. 

4 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

The turnover ratio is killing this team. We are -25 the next closest team is -15  and as a team we only have 11 takeaways all year. 

Yeah we've given up 111 points off of turnovers which is about 8 per game. The defense could have stopped or lessened the blow on most of those but it's really hard to accurately judge a defense given that disadvantage.

They aren't great and the scheme is unlikable but there is talent there and it isn't nearly as concerning as the offense going forward.

4 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Um, we are 22nd in the league in allowing 3rd down conversions- 40.9%.  So, while we may be stout in some facets of defending the run, when it matters, we're below average.  Our defense still has a ways to go.  Now granted, our offense is giving them absolutely no help, but we're not exactly talking about the 85 Bears here.

How do we know the 3rd down conversion rate is a big factor in the run? Teams don’t run all that much because they know they can hit the short stuff. Look at the green bay game, they barely attacked down field. 

Opposing teams have ran the ball 55x on 3rd down compared to 132x passing the ball

51 minutes ago, buno67 said:

How do we know the 3rd down conversion rate is a big factor in the run? Teams don’t run all that much because they know they can hit the short stuff. Look at the green bay game, they barely attacked down field. 

Opposing teams have ran the ball 55x on 3rd down compared to 132x passing the ball

I don't know that at all.  My point was that while we may be okay against the run, when it really matters, on third down, we are failing almost 41% of the time and letting the other team extend drives.  As a defense, we have to get better.  That is what I was trying to say.  

I don't understand how we can look at it and say, we have a good defense.  Our defense has played okay at times, but overall, still not very good.  There is a reason we are 0-14, and the defense is part of it.  It is.  Watch the games.  The tape doesn't lie.  Even Buerlein and Tasker were talking about the "easy" 7 yard pass that Flacco was able to complete for a first down because our DBs were playing 10 yards off the receiver on a 3rd and 4.  Now does that sound like a good defense to anyone?

Archived