Week 14 GameDay Thread: Titans (8-4) vs. Cardinals (5-7)

KingTitan

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

Lol. We are 80% done with the season and they've done absolutely nothing to deal with the "very fixable" problems.

See, this right here is what concerns me. I don't think Mularkey feels Robiskie's/his offensive system is the problem, instead it's the execution of the players(which is certainly true to a degree).

My question is, Is Mularkey willing to go outside his/Titans coaching circle to get an offensive coordinator to run their own system? Or is he so hellbent on his "Exotic Smashmouth" mentality that we won't see much change in the offense, if he's retained.

I also don't really know what Michael has done at any point to justify his spot on an NFL coaching staff period, let alone handing him a promotion. His first stint as a quarterback coach lasted one year, and it was arguably the worst season of Chad Pennington's career. He was the tight end coach with the Jets in 2007, when New York went 4-12 and got virtually no production out of the position. He was the tight ends coach here in 2008. I guess Scaife was solid that year. He was an offensive assistant in San Francisco in 2009 and 2010. Both years the 49ers finished in the bottom third of the league in points and yards. He was the TE coach for three years with the Chargers. Gates was obviously Gates, but I'm not going to give him a ton of credit for inheriting a future HOFer who proceeded to see no notable change in his production. And then he's been here ever since. Being the figurehead OC under the disastrous Whiz era and the QB coach under Mularkey.

His resume is legitimately terrible. After quickly going through it, I think he's almost the picture of what I want us to avoid in our next offensive coordinator. A guy who has been around the league awhile and keeps getting opportunity after opportunity despite having virtually no positive results to speak of.

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I've rewatched it a few times. I think it's as simple as he read man coverage. The linebacker that was on Delanie turned his back to chase after him down the seam, so Marcus thought he had man and thought he could get rid of it quick enough to get it over the backer in coverage. It was a total misread on Mariota's part, but also a direct result of the formation. Even if it was man, we only had three players running routes, so the crowded box almost guarantees that you'll have a couple extra defenders in the middle of the field without a direct assignment. 

It's definitely a combination of regression from Mariota and the coaching staff doing nothing to try to fix it or help him out. His footwork is just bad. Even in clean pockets, he's rarely stepping into his throws, which makes his arm look a lot worse than it is. I'm hopeful that a good portion of the problem stems from him having to play catch up in training camp and then the nagging injuries limiting the full practices he's getting in during the season (also, I doubt that they're practicing fundamentals and footwork too much throughout the week during the regular season).

I don't know. I'm not going to give up on him, but I'm getting concerned. I'd much rather bring in someone from the outside to work with Mariota rather than just replacing Robiskie with Michael. I'd have no argument if we fired Robiskie today and slapped the interim tag on Michael so we could get a look at his offense for a month, but I can't pretend like I'd be excited about canning Robiskie this offseason if it just means that we get a guy who was the QB coach during Mariota's worst year. 

I say fire mularkey, think about it. Mularkey has 1yr deal on his contract unless we extend him, what good OC is going to come here without security. Okay so either TN will have to extend mularkey or gamble of another yr of Mariota & mularkey wit us promoting an OC within. Okay so now here’s where it gets interesting, next yr TN has to decided if we’re going to exercise Marcus 5th yr option, more than likely will, but if Marcus struggle as bad this season next season, then we have to find a QB in 2019, which we know is hard to find 

24 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I've rewatched it a few times. I think it's as simple as he read man coverage. The linebacker that was on Delanie turned his back to chase after him down the seam, so Marcus thought he had man and thought he could get rid of it quick enough to get it over the backer in coverage. It was a total misread on Mariota's part, but also a direct result of the formation. Even if it was man, we only had three players running routes, so the crowded box almost guarantees that you'll have a couple extra defenders in the middle of the field without a direct assignment. 

It's definitely a combination of regression from Mariota and the coaching staff doing nothing to try to fix it or help him out. His footwork is just bad. Even in clean pockets, he's rarely stepping into his throws, which makes his arm look a lot worse than it is. I'm hopeful that a good portion of the problem stems from him having to play catch up in training camp and then the nagging injuries limiting the full practices he's getting in during the season (also, I doubt that they're practicing fundamentals and footwork too much throughout the week during the regular season).

I don't know. I'm not going to give up on him, but I'm getting concerned. I'd much rather bring in someone from the outside to work with Mariota rather than just replacing Robiskie with Michael. I'd have no argument if we fired Robiskie today and slapped the interim tag on Michael so we could get a look at his offense for a month, but I can't pretend like I'd be excited about canning Robiskie this offseason if it just means that we get a guy who was the QB coach during Mariota's worst year. 

I think that LBer was a spy... so he woulda been sitting there regardless.  It was definitely a bad/misread by Mariota.  And like I said... the 3 man route does him no favors.  

It's crazy... at the half I thought he was having a good game... he was doing the little things right... threw at Taylor at a position, where if he adjusts correctly to the throw, would have been a long TD... instead Taylor reacts too late and misses the ball completely.  He got a free play at one point... took a deep shot at Davis... incomplete, but it was a free play... it's so frustrating when they have a free play and they choose a 1 yard dump off to a covered TE/RB.  Things were clicking... even the long Murray run that was called back... stupid penalty on Conklin cuz Murray was past them... he earned those yards without the hold... 

I was ready to come in at the half and say... we only have 7 against a good D... but Mariota has played well... ... ... then the 2nd half happened... his bad choices/reads/passes happened.  It was a disgusting attempt at offensive football. AZ has a good defense... I said before the game that we've played some good D's, but AZ's just seems a notch above the others.  But the 2nd half was a lot more us being bad than them being good.

7 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I think that LBer was a spy... so he woulda been sitting there regardless.  It was definitely a bad/misread by Mariota.  And like I said... the 3 man route does him no favors.  

It's crazy... at the half I thought he was having a good game... he was doing the little things right... threw at Taylor at a position, where if he adjusts correctly to the throw, would have been a long TD... instead Taylor reacts too late and misses the ball completely.  He got a free play at one point... took a deep shot at Davis... incomplete, but it was a free play... it's so frustrating when they have a free play and they choose a 1 yard dump off to a covered TE/RB.  Things were clicking... even the long Murray run that was called back... stupid penalty on Conklin cuz Murray was past them... he earned those yards without the hold... 

I was ready to come in at the half and say... we only have 7 against a good D... but Mariota has played well... ... ... then the 2nd half happened... his bad choices/reads/passes happened.  It was a disgusting attempt at offensive football. AZ has a good defense... I said before the game that we've played some good D's, but AZ's just seems a notch above the others.  But the 2nd half was a lot more us being bad than them being good.

I thought the same thing. I think I came in here and said exactly that. We were moving the ball. Wasn't playing terrible. The 2nd half was absolutely terrible. 

Bad play calls. Bad play from players. Bad everything. 
We were bad. They didn't beat us. The Titans beat us. 
Defense had what 7 or 8 sacks and didn't allow a TD. All offense had to do was score 2 TDs. 

Also, I think with the INT it was a zone and Marcus was staring down Walker. The LB actually came up to bite on the run, but with only 2 real routes being ran, it was easy to defend. I think Marcus didn't think the LB could flip his hips and he could squeeze it in there, like he has before.  Except the LB was able to turn and catch it. 
Defense still didn't allow them to score a TD. lol

14 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

to clarify i'd want him as an offensive coordinator, not a head coach, which i guess is unlikely even if he does get fired

It's him, Clements or promoting Michael at OC next year IMO. Mularkey has worked with both of the previous two, and Michael is on the staff now obviously.

If Garrett is fired I wouldn't be shocked if he did come here as OC. A young QB he can work with who is coming off a bad season? If Mariota plays well next year he's right back in line for another head coaching job, cause that'll be stacked on top of the fact that he's only a couple seasons removed from 13-3 with a rookie QB, and a not so terrible season this year which has been hindered by an injured Lee on defense and missing Elliot for several games.

It's the perfect "build your resume for a HC job" opportunity. There's talent all over this offense, would think he'd love to use it.

53 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

It's him, Clements or promoting Michael at OC next year IMO. Mularkey has worked with both of the previous two, and Michael is on the staff now obviously.

If Garrett is fired I wouldn't be shocked if he did come here as OC. A young QB he can work with who is coming off a bad season? If Mariota plays well next year he's right back in line for another head coaching job, cause that'll be stacked on top of the fact that he's only a couple seasons removed from 13-3 with a rookie QB, and a not so terrible season this year which has been hindered by an injured Lee on defense and missing Elliot for several games.

It's the perfect "build your resume for a HC job" opportunity. There's talent all over this offense, would think he'd love to use it.

A New OC could do the trick. I know people say that it would be just an extension of Murlakey and the same system, which is true.

However I think Atlanta is an example of what an OC change could do to a team. In that case it was negative. But OC is like chess not checkers. You have to be two or three moves ahead, set up defenders (Double moves) and then be able to recognize what's happening and adjust.

A new OC might be able to take Murlakey's playbook and take what's good from it and expound on it, while eliminating the rubbish and ill-timed play calls. I think we all have said at some point "that was a beautiful play design."  This offense has some great plays with it and it isn't as ancient as people think. Saw a great point on twitter summarized saying: "If Murlakey was doing Run-Play Option, Jet Sweeps and Pistol like plays in the 80's and 90's then he was truly an offensive visionary." We do have some update formations and plays. 
However, we lean to much on heavy formations and head scratching play calls.  Maybe the heavy formations are because they don't trust the WRs? If that is the case then it's on the coaches to get them up to speed.

We might be looking for a new WR coach. If you have all your players at a position not performing and guys not what route to run, like we did yesterday, it's a reflection of the position coach.  

We should realistically overhaul the entire offensive coaching staff. Quarterback has regressed. Henry is the same player as last year with the same weaknesses, Murray has taken a step back. There's no trust in the receivers despite having more talent at that position than any time in the last decade. Offensive line has regressed. Should just do a total coaching rebuild on that side of the ball.

11 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

We should realistically overhaul the entire offensive coaching staff. Quarterback has regressed. Henry is the same player as last year with the same weaknesses, Murray has taken a step back. There's no trust in the receivers despite having more talent at that position than any time in the last decade. Offensive line has regressed. Should just do a total coaching rebuild on that side of the ball.

If that is the case you look at the one who is in charge of the offense and in the NFL that's the OC. 

HC can't fire himself. OC is next in line. 

9 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

If that is the case you look at the one who is in charge of the offense and in the NFL that's the OC. 

HC can't fire himself. OC is next in line. 

Agreed, I'd love to see Mularkey hand off control of the offense and let a new coordinator bring in a new offensive staff. Though I'm also aware that there's virtually no chance of that happening.

10 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Henry isn’t the same player as last yr, he’s still not a complete back, however Henry needs touches he’s a back that has to get in rhythm, the game slows down for him the more carries he gets. Mularkey is obsessed wit Murray & it’s sad

Archived