Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?

AkronsWitness

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

How? Like, I get saying someone is overrated because you feel that way but how? 3 out of the last 4 years he's ran for over 1500 yards. And the only time he didn't do it he had 937 yards through 8 games before getting hurt. He also had 10 TDs through those 8 games. He's about as dominant as it gets at RB and he's the defenses main focal point and he still can't be stopped. He's averaged nearly 5YPC for his career. Is it because he's not a big receiving threat? I'm just trying to understand.

Ok let me try and articulate what I see with Henry that makes me feel a bit meh on him when I watch him.

To me, when I watch him, it seems like a very large portion of his yards come from these long 60-70-80 yard runs that happen as a result of teams stacking the box and having no players to tackle him if he makes it beyond 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Outside of stiff arming CBs on the perimeter on some runs, it just feels like he’s always running wide open down the field after he breaks the line of scrimmage on a 9 man box. 

It’s kind of exemplified by the 2019 and 2020 playoff games against the Ravens for me. 2019 we stacked the box and he destroyed us because once he got past the line of scrimmage he was immediately 1 on 1 with like a DB or totally by himself. In the 2020 playoffs the Ravens played it a bit different and instead of spamming the box they just made sure they played really wide on the DL and pinched in instead of engage 8’ing every play and he couldn’t make any of the LBs miss and we held him to 40 yards on 18 carries. It was jarring how ineffective he was because he couldn’t make anyone miss who was in front of him. 

I get it’s not rooted in production or whatever but it’s just when I watch him I don’t really come away impressed. To me Stephen Jackson was a better “big” back because he actually had some wiggle. Henry - (again, to me) - seems like he relies a ton on ripping off runs because the box is stacked and half the defense is already behind him once he breaks 3 yards and starts to pick up steam. 

Sometimes as a fan there are just players who you think are much better or much worse than what the world thinks - Jimmy Smith was in my top 2-3 favorite non-Ray Lewis Ravens ever and most Ravens fans think that’s insane. I think Jamaal Charles is a top 10 RB ever personally. Sometimes this game is more emotion and subjective based than we’d like to admit as fans and Henry is just a guy i’ve always watched and hasn’t “hit” for me.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 12:41 PM, Forge said:

I have no problem putting him (Parsons) in that tier with guys like Bosa, Garrett, Crosby and whomever. But i find it weird when he's crowned as the best in the league at the position, tbh. 

Not surprised it was SF and Browns fans mostly pushing "Parsons is overrated" in the thread (as they're probably jealous he's better than Bosa and Garrett). 

22 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Not surprised it was SF and Browns fans mostly pushing "Parsons is overrated" in the thread (as they're probably jealous he's better than Bosa and Garrett). 

Maybe he is. He hadn't shown it yet. The fact that you think that this is some kind of gotcha post is actually hilarious. Me "pushing" he's overrated because I didn't get people saying he was the best in the league while I was also stating that he's in the same tier as all of those guys and one of my favorites to win dpoy in this very thread is quite the gotcha.   

I must be living in your head rent free for calling you out for your vegas take lol. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings about that. 

• Like 1

It's also funny to think that I have any personal attachment to someone being the best or not the best based on the team I would root for lol. The name of the game is to win. Why do I care if Bosa is winning dpoy if it doesn't lead to wins? Why would I care if Parsons is better than Bosa if the 49ers keep beating the cowboys in the playoffs every year? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Duluther said:

He's not... He's a great player but he's also hype... Right now dude has a 1 Sack, 6 pressure, 3 QB hit game... And they're calling him Lawrence Taylor. That's a routine game for Bosa and Garrett.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlaqOptic said:

He's not... He's a great player but he's also hype... Right now dude has a 1 Sack, 6 pressure, 3 QB hit game... And they're calling him Lawrence Taylor. That's a routine game for Bosa and Garrett.

forgot the FF, TFLs etc but yeah too early to be LT

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlaqOptic said:

I do expect Bosa to take a big step back this year, in no small part due to the hold out. I've never been bullish on guys the year that happens. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/27/2023 at 3:19 PM, Kiltman said:

Now that Schwartz is there, the Myles stuff won't age well.
Easy bet for DPOY this year.

Not sure he deserved it over some of the others, but seemed like an easy call 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Not sure he deserved it over some of the others, but seemed like an easy call 

My response to your take: 

On 8/27/2023 at 1:30 PM, Forge said:

It'll be him or Parsons. It's their turn

I'm on the right side of history! 

• Like 1